cross threading a bb

leach.r.83
leach.r.83 Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

building a frame up at the moment, putting the campag power torque BB cups on to the frame the leftside went on fine, the right side struggeled and then after some time it appears that I've messed the thread up on the cup. i tried the left side cup on the right side of the frame (only very delicately) and it wouldnt fit so I'm guessing its the thread on the frame thats knackered the cup.

any suggestions on what to do? will my LBS be able to sort this???

thanks
Rob

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - no problem at all. They'll run a tap (thing that cuts threads not the thingthat lets water out of your kitchen wall) through it and it'll be fine.

Just make sure that you whack loads and loads of copperslip in there and be very gentle when you go to put the bb in- you can get away with these a couple of times but then after that you start to run out of metal to cut into.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The left hand cup wouldn't screw in to the right hand side of the BB shell even if you hadn't borked the threads, so don't try that again!
  • My son did the same (typical MTB'er). Took it to the LBS, after some good natured ribbing, fixed it for about £20. Now good as new, and lesson learnt!
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/