xt shifters
xt front mech
slx chainset
schwalbe racing ralph tires
controltech scandium seatpost
knife saddle
sram pc97 cassette and chain

all of these were to save weight and boost performance etc

my main question is, could i get something (new or ex-dem or last years model) off the peg which would match or marginally better what I have now?

my preference is a hardtail, 100mm or so of travel, riding is commuting to work as well as light off road trails - nothing heavy and no big jumps or drops, i do really like the Whyte 810 but that is around £700 over budget!!!

A tall ask I know, but my budget to get something with "today's technology" as equal to what I have now for around £800 or possibly £900 absolute tops.

My short list:

Be-one karma race £700
Corratec x-vert £824 02
Ghost SE6000 £900
Ghost SE9000 (2011) £909
Ghost SE7000 (2011) £734

not limited to chain reaction, but choice seems to be good

any other bikes to consider, or am i asking a little to much?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What you already have is equal to many of them - I'd keep it.
  • Not sure what you are trying to achieve? Is it just a case of wanting something shiny and new? (nothing wrong with that btw, I'm just a little confused)

The Ghost SE9000 and corratec x-vert 02 are almost an identical match to what you already have.
    The Beone is pretty close, and I can personally vouch for the karma frame as being rediculously light, and very well made (I have the same frame, in beach-bike form).

Maybe also look at a boardman team.

You'd not really gain anything by changing to one of those bikes though (although not sure what forks you currently have on the rockhopper).

You'd get more bang for your buck going 2nd hand. I know Ben off here (northern monkey) is selling his Boardman PRO, which is only a few months old, and could be had within your budget, and would represent an upgrade.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep - from what you've got the only sensible option is to get a vastly different type of bike too.
  • dimmockg
    dimmockg Posts: 471
    Had a feeling that would be the case, was just hoping there was an awesome bargain out there that I may have missed, no such luck I guess.

Is partly the after something new and shiny, the hopper as served me better than well and to be fair is in really very good condition. Perhaps it would be better investing funds into that?

I've got a new cassette, chain and cables en-route to ensure the drive is all good, chain set is not worn so no need to swap that out. Got the above bits I fit as well as new brake pads, rear tire. I reckon once cleaned and sorted out it'll run pretty much like new :)
  • dimmockg wrote:
    Had a feeling that would be the case, was just hoping there was an awesome bargain out there that I may have missed, no such luck I guess.

Is partly the after something new and shiny, the hopper as served me better than well and to be fair is in really very good condition. Perhaps it would be better investing funds into that?

I've got a new cassette, chain and cables en-route to ensure the drive is all good, chain set is not worn so no need to swap that out. Got the above bits I fit as well as new brake pads, rear tire. I reckon once cleaned and sorted out it'll run pretty much like new :)

Why not treat it to a really nice set of wheels or something? It will feel like a new bike then.

New wheels and a suspension tune could be a really worthwhile investment on a bike you obviously love. If you want something Shiny and new how about a respray or something?
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • dimmockg
    Going to plough a few quid into the hopper rather than buy a new bike.

Parts of the drivetrain is worn (new cassette and chain en-route). Also 2 of the rings on my slx chain set need replacing, the arms are in perfect nic and the bb is fine, need new center and outer ring, so looking at deore m590 for middle and slx for outer - £40 ish for these. Not wanting to stump up for whole new set when mine is in great shape

Gear cables will also be upgraded, not decided yet but like transfil ones

Will have a close look at mechs today, hopefully a clean and re-lube / grease will be fine. Once the bike itself is sorted I'll then look at new wheels - perhaps a pro 2 set, superstar set, or xt hubs on stans or something

Be like a new bike at only around £350 - £400 (depending on mechs)
  • What wheels / tyres / forks have you got on there at the moment?

Edit: I see you've got ralphs on there, so what wheels / forks are they?
  • dimmockg
    Got the standard wheels dt Swiss 445 rims

Got continental super light tubes, schwalbe racing Ralph folding front and schwalbe folding nobby on rear

Forks are standard recon slite

So once the bike itself is all re freshed I reckon a new wheel set or forks could be in order
  • dimmockg wrote:
    Going to plough a few quid into the hopper rather than buy a new bike.

Parts of the drivetrain is worn (new cassette and chain en-route). Also 2 of the rings on my slx chain set need replacing, the arms are in perfect nic and the bb is fine, need new center and outer ring, so looking at deore m590 for middle and slx for outer - £40 ish for these. Not wanting to stump up for whole new set when mine is in great shape

Gear cables will also be upgraded, not decided yet but like transfil ones

Will have a close look at mechs today, hopefully a clean and re-lube / grease will be fine. Once the bike itself is sorted I'll then look at new wheels - perhaps a pro 2 set, superstar set, or xt hubs on stans or something

Be like a new bike at only around £350 - £400 (depending on mechs)

Merlin have got the full SLX 10sp transmission set for under £250.00 and still got 10% off at the min! That's stupidly cheap! Although don't fall for the Full group set deal cos it works out slightly cheaper to buy the SLX M666 discs separately.

Although just re-read your posts and this wouldn't really be an upgrade for you!
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707