advice on new bike please

wattsy82
wattsy82 Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
HELLO. My first post here. seen it pop up loads when searching but never joined so here goes.
going to get back into biking after selling my bianchi road bike after 18mts of not using it. got a scheme in work to buy bikes so been looking at

price range up to £800
Gt avalanche 1.0
felt q720
giant xtc 3 £850
if I get these I could get new spd's and pedals

then xtc 2 zaskar sport or felt q820??
advice and help needed please

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is your riding going to be cross country and general forest/moorland trails?
  • Yes that and cycle trails. Nothing major that needs full suspension
  • supersonic
    The Felt 720, like most Felts, is a let down - the fork is found on £250 quid bikes and is not up to par at £730.

The Zaskar gets a better fork, but is still poor value, as the Avalanche.

The XTC2, if you can get one for £800 is a great buy, but try first for size.
  • well the xtc 2 is £999 but with cycle scheme is £614
    the xtc 3 is £849 or £527 on the scheme..

use to have a GT years ago and thought that the avalanche 1.0 would be the better bike to be honest..
    surprised at the felts too the spec seems good?? giant talon 1 worth it then?
    using the www.cyclesolutions.co.uk web site to sort through all the bikes.
  • supersonic
    The XTC 2 is the best bike by far.
  • Its decided xtc3 the 2 is a little more than I want to pay. I can also add pedals shoes and a new helmet too and save some money. £32 a month for 18 mts...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plus the fair market value-ation at the end.......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends how hot they are on it - not a peep from my company or the scheme on both bikes - well over a year on the latest.

Even if they did come back, what's a fair market valuation for something that no longer exists? At least that would have been my argument - I broke everything and the bits I didn't brake I have no idea where they are or even what's left.
  • supersonic
    25% of rrp is the guideline.
  • well had a bianchi via nirone 18 months ago done 85 miles on it. told them I used it loads got it dirty once and took a pic and they valued it at £55 ?????
  • Burnz0
    Burnz0 Posts: 35
    Fair market value after a year is 3% up to £500 and then its 5% and 8% at the top end I think but definitely not anywhere near 25% as that would mean you'd pretty much pay the full amount which would be stupid. Apparently you can opt to extend the scheme for another three years for a small £20ish admin fee and that the end of the three years you pay a similar amount to buy the bike. Even after the first year I doubt any company will chase you up for the money as ultimately they're not going to want loads of second hand bikes to move on.
  • supersonic
    On bike of a year old over £500, it is 25%, but for 18 months drops to 21%. Full list here:

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employers/ ... mrc-update
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Burnz0 wrote:
    I think
    Hmmm, take your word for that!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.