MBR Hope Hoops Stans Crest review, got to LOL

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Bought MBR this month as I was on a long trip with work to Bangkok and Sydney and wanted some reading material alongside other mags to stop me getting bored.

Was reading the Hope Hoops Stans Crest review and this bit made me laugh:

"I also think Mavic and DT Swiss rims are better quality and straighter from the outset. Not that I've had and issues whatsoever with the crest rims, they're still straight as a die, but thats probably testament to Hope's build".

So he is questioning the quality of the Stans rim's despite having no issues with the rim's in question and not stating if he has ever built up a Stans/DT/Mavic rim'd wheel from a bare state.

I know know why I don't usually buy MBR.

Comments

• Just one of the many reasons why I stick with MBUK.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I thought the same when I read it, only got it cause I was bored one day.

Glad I didnt bother renewing my MBR sub.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I love MBR, some of their reviews are genius. "We fitted different tyres to the Trek. They weren't very good so we're taking a point off".

"This is a £2000 bike test- the Orange Five comes under budget but we've specced several hundred pounds of extras that make it 20% overbudget, and we're going to give it extra points specifically for those upgrades. OTOH the Zesty is £200 underbudget, but we're going to mark it down because it comes with organic brake pads that'd cost £12 to replace"

And my all time favourite: "The Inbred is rated for 100-130mm forks. We've fitted 140mm forks to it for this test though and found it too tall and long so we're going to give the prize to the Orange"

Still, for all this crap, some of their articles are really very good... The interview + route guide things with Crawfy and Guy Martin were fantastic frinstance, best bike journalism I've seen for years.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    And my all time favourite: "The Inbred is rated for 100-130mm forks. We've fitted 140mm forks to it for this test though and found it too tall and long so we're going to give the prize to the Orange"

Do they have no common sense at all??

Still, its a fair comment about the interviews.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Northwind wrote:

LMAO that is priceless :lol:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I get MBR and my mates get WMB and MBUK we swap the mags round so at the moment I get to read all 3. I am about 30 years too old for the MBUK target audience so tend to skim read it concentrating on reviews and articles about bikes. MBR and WMB are to all intents and purposes identical they both produce dull or twattish articles. MBR is a bit obsessed with short stems, flat pedals and the idea that the Surrey Hills are Gnarly dude. WMB is obsessed with 29rs, CX bikes and testing wheels, jeez they get through some wheels do they all ride 8 wheeled bikes.

Me I get a sub to whichever mag is offering the nicest gift, if you shop smart you get some nice stuff recently I have aquired a crank bros multi tool, a pair of shorts and a hydration pack with some free bog reading material thrown in.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    stubs wrote:
    Me I get a sub to whichever mag is offering the nicest gift, if you shop smart you get some nice stuff recently I have aquired a crank bros multi tool, a pair of shorts and a hydration pack with some free bog reading material thrown in.

:wink:

Me and a mate both signed up to WMB few months back when doing the Osprey Viper 13 offer, a £65 bag for a £48 sub that if you really want too can spread the cost, with a years worth of mags thrown in, you can't argue with it can you.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    So what mag is doing the best sub offer at the mo?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    My favourite MBR review was for a Zesty.

They'd swapped out the tubeless (stock) tyres on the bike and then docked points for it "enabling them to ride too hard, and suffering more pinch punctures than with any of the other bikes on test"

Back to the Stans Rims though....I am seriously considering a set. Has anyone experience with them on the Superstar hubs?
  • Mccraque wrote:
    Back to the Stans Rims though....I am seriously considering a set. Has anyone experience with them on the Superstar hubs?

I had flows on Superstar switch evo hubs.

They were ok. I swapped out the freehub for a stainless one (personal preference) after the alloy one was chewed up by a (alloy spidered) cassette. And had to change the rear bearings within 6 months, and towards the end, a half dozen spokes had decided to unwind a fair bit. But they took some abuse and all the above were 5min jobs to fix.

The Stans rims were very very good though. Just about to order some more actually. Flows again, but on Tune hubs this time.
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    Hi, I know these are not the crest rims you mentioned but i recently wrote a review of my stans alpine wheelset here: http://tomwardmt.blogspot.com/2012/01/stans-alpine-ztr-wheelsetjust-riding.html. Although I dont have any experience of the crest's, when i bought these I was told the Crest and the Alpine rims were very similar. Overall I have been very happy with mine! Hope that helps!
  • Northwind
    My Flows are on Hope rather than Superstar but they are bloomin excellent rims... IMO they're the best sensible, standalone rims out there- Mavic and DT don't even bother to attempt to compete tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They do, but on full builds rather than rim only.
  • Northwind
    Aye, definately. I guess they think it makes business sense to only sell their best rims as part of a build.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the MBR writer has worded it badly, but some rims do come out of the box straighter and truer than others. This makes the building a little easier - you can't make a warped rim both true and even tensioned. A good builder trades this off, and of course is less of a problem for disc wheels.

Mavic eyeletted rims are usually easier to build with than say Stans - but the 717 is 50g heavier than a Crest. But is cheaper too, so swings and roundabouts. Also would say is stiffer, and not as soft.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Do they have no common sense at all??
    are you kidding, if they did a review of £5000+ bikes, and someone stuck a raleigh chopper with orange 5 decals on it amongst them, what do you think would win ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    who knows with the some of the crap they come out with.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would agree with the MBR review. Stans crests are pretty shoddy in comparison to their DT and Mavic competition. They will hold up, but they aren't as good. I build my own wheels and generally use DT Revs for most of them, but in the 2 Crest wheels I built I went from Revs to Comps and still wasnt happy with the outcome. As a rule I can build a bullet straight mavic or DT right out of the box, but the crests need a crap load of fettling. Then, when you go to ride the things, they need even more attention, and that stupid non-existant bead hook is even more annoying. Granted I accept that using Revs on such a light rim is just encouraging the situation, but I still feel the DTs and Mavics offer a better wheel than the crests, and using a lighter spoke to compensate for the weight difference gives a better overall build. I don't think anyone 'competes' with a Crest because no-one thinks they should, rather than because they can't.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    What comparison are you making here though? Mavic don't have a single comparable standalone rim, would you find the same issues with an Arch or Flow? Crests can certainly be built into a durable wheel so...

(no idea what you mean by "non existant bead hook" btw)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    My self-built Olympics are still true as the day I built them after some knarrly XC....
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Northwind wrote:
    What comparison are you making here though? Mavic don't have a single comparable standalone rim, would you find the same issues with an Arch or Flow? Crests can certainly be built into a durable wheel so...

(no idea what you mean by "non existant bead hook" btw)

I haven't found the same issues with the arch, but thats well into DT/Mavic weight territory, and the rims I don't like are specifically the crest. I really like the sound of the Arch EX, as it looks like they've made the Arch a little wider and lighter. If I we're going to build another Stans wheel, which I may well do, this might be my rim of choice. The non-existant bead hook is the BST on the crest. while I understand why they did it, its just annoying to use. I guess it might be good if you run tubeless, but I haven't tried. For the sake of a few grams I'd have 355s again over Crests.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.