Enigma Echo, Campag SR11, Enve/Tune Wheels

Simonhi
Simonhi Posts: 229
edited January 2012 in Your road bikes
I built this bike up last October but I'm only getting round to posting it up now as I have just received the wheels I originally ordered last September !!!

Anyway, I've been using the bike regularly on a spare set of wheels since last October having picked up the frame directly from Jim at Enigma one expensive Saturday morning.

This is my first road bike and I'm enjoying it so much I have decided to sell my two MTB's to fund a cyclocross bike as my MTB's now only get used for very gentle off-road so I'm sure a CX will suit.

So, enough waffle.

Frame: Enigma Echo, mirror polished, XL frame (59cm effective top tube)
Forks: Enigma Electron carbon.
Bars: New Ultimate white carbon
Stem: New Ultimate white alloy
Headset: Enigma integrated
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mm

Group Set: Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed, carbon crank, titanium axle and 53/39 titanium chain rings. 12-29 cassette. Rear derailleur is tuned with Extralite jockey wheels, Front derailed is mounted to the frame using MCFC carbon clamp.

Seat: Tune Kom Vor
Seat Post: New Ultimate white carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Extralite

Pedals: Speedplay Zero Titanium

Bottle holders: AX Lightness

Wheels:
Rim: Enve 45 Clincher, 24 hole front, 28 rear
Spokes: Sapim CX ray Black, radial from 2 cross rear.
Hubs: Tune Mig (70) and Mag (170)
Tubes: Conti Supersonic
Tire: Conti GP4000s
QR Skewers: Carbon Ti.

Weight: 7.05 kgs (15.5 lbs) A fork change to Enve 1.0 will shave off 120g and get me under 7kgs.

Big thanks go to Jim at Enigma for letting me take out a few bikes to help decide, and James at Rock and Road Southampton for building me a pair of sweet wheels !!!

Pics:

SJH_3292.jpg

SJH_3305.jpg

SJH_3310.jpg

SJH_3308cropcopy.jpg

SJH_3316.jpg

SJH_3328.jpg

SJH_3332.jpg

SJH_3333.jpg

Comments

• noiseboyfeetman
    noiseboyfeetman Posts: 719
    edited January 2012
    My word, for a first road bike that is absolutely gorgeous. I like the white seatpost, stem and black and white saddle, I do like a ti bike fitted with Campag.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Only one thing that detracts and that's the hyooj cassette, otherwise absolutely laaarvley.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    gorgeous.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Stunning bike mate.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Very nice but your saddle does`nt look straight ?.
  • stunning looking bike mate. the best looking ti bike ive seen on here mate.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    A beautiful bike, congratulations! :)

I do like Enigmas. I think if I went for one, I'd get a custom paint job like this:

6152701144_2be4495ef3_b.jpg
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Very nice but your saddle does`nt look straight ?.

And the back wheel is levitating... :lol: (seriously, did you not see the rear-wheel stand?)
  • Simonhi
    My word, for a first road bike that is absolutely gorgeous. I like the white seatpost, stem and black and white saddle, I do like a ti bike fitted with Campag.

Cheers for the nice comments, a bit hard to work our cost of wheels as the rims were bought in US (Fairwheel cycles), hubs and spokes from Germany (r2 Bike) and built in UK (Andy at Rock and Road Southampton) I had to go to the US for the rims as they do not export a 28 hole rim to Europe. but check the two sites and you should get a rough idea.

Cheers, I do feel a bit spolit as I think it is something I should have progressed to but still, buy once etc ... Things is I feel I have set quite a precident for a CX bike, I think I'm probably gonna stay with an Enigma frame but probably will go with Columbus tubing, disc tabs and 135mm spacing, if I can find a rear disc hub to take a Campag cassette, maybe Tune will be able to do a Campag free hub body on there Kong hub ??? I would also like it to do odd touring / commuting on it so braze-ons for racks and mudguards will also be sought.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Only one thing that detracts and that's the hyooj cassette, otherwise absolutely laaarvley.

Yeah I agree re: large gassette but then I have a MTB with and 11-34 SRAM XX so I'm used to seeing bigger cogs on the back end. I do have a 12-25 which came with the groupset and it will be going on as soon as my legs have gotten strong enough for some of the hills I do. I only occasionally use the 27 and onlyonce been in the 29 cog so maybe I'm not far off being ready. Rule 5 should see me good in time !!!

It looks worse than is it with the rear wheel jacked up on the stand. It does point very slightly downwards which helps the family jewels :-)
    A beautiful bike, congratulations! :)

I do like Enigmas. I think if I went for one, I'd get a custom paint job like this:

6152701144_2be4495ef3_b.jpg

Thanks, but I think I love the bike you've posted as well as mine, very blingy and I like the black and white theme as well. I would be interested to know where you found this pic asI reckon there may be other sweet looking bikes like it on the same website ?

Cheers for the nice comments all,

Si :-)
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    EKIMIKE wrote:

And the back wheel is levitating... :lol: (seriously, did you not see the rear-wheel stand?)
    I dont think he means that the saddle isnt level, but that it isnt straight in the left right plane (or whatever that is called). The handlebars dont look straight in the pics either.

Nice bike btw. I'm not convinced by the white seatpost though...
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Simonhi wrote:

Thanks, but I think I love the bike you've posted as well as mine, very blingy and I like the black and white theme as well. I would be interested to know where you found this pic asI reckon there may be other sweet looking bikes like it on the same website ?

Cheers for the nice comments all,

Si :-)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93131
  • Simonhi
    roddixon wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:

I dont think he means that the saddle isnt level, but that it isnt straight in the left right plane (or whatever that is called). The handlebars dont look straight in the pics either.

Nice bike btw. I'm not convinced by the white seatpost though...

Now that you say it the saddle does look like it is pointing a little to the drive side :roll:, I did raise it up a few mill recently and need to straighten it by the looks of things.

Dunno what you mean by the bars not being straight :? ???

Thought I should go with a white post to match in with bars and stem, might not be to everyones taste but then that is what makes us all different :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Si.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Wonderful bike. Just what I want when I can get my next N+1 purchase signed off by the financial controller!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    Stunning. Especially the wheels!

Surprised at the weight to be honest, looking at component list seems well under 7000g.
  • Simonhi
    wasabi_m wrote:
    Stunning. Especially the wheels!

Surprised at the weight to be honest, looking at component list seems well under 7000g.

Yep the wheels make it for me too, I like the outline grapphics that were suppllied as a custom request from Fairwheel bikes, thought about going with ghost graphics like the newer 3.4 and 6.7 series that Enve Composites does. I'm sure the Mavin Ksyrium SR that I have may be a bit lighter but not as stiff.

I was surprised by the weigh too but then I have only weighed it with some dodgy luggage scales :oops:, maybe a decent calibrated set of scales would be better.

I could shave some weight by going with a lighter fork up front, but apart from a compact crank and smaller cassette I can't see any obvious places to save weight. I would not save much by going with lighter cables, in any case I tried Alligator Mini I-links and found them to be very poor shifting so switched to the bog standard Campag cables. The rest of the components are about as light as I would feel safe with my 14.5 stone lump heaving away on it. Maybe could have saved a bit on some of the components but New Ultimate are pretty light for seat post, bar and stem, the seat is also fairly light at 96 grams !!! Of course the best way to save more weight is to shift it from my gut :shock:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Cracking looking bike Simonhi - The wheels look great also

I had a Litespeed ultimate titanium, but this looks far better. Looks to me your 6ft + how does it handle for a big bike ???? and what size pics did you use at photobucket as they are very clear just what i need to sell my bike on here.
  • Simonhi
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I had a Litespeed ultimate titanium, but this looks far better. Looks to me your 6ft + how does it handle for a big bike ???? and what size pics did you use at photobucket as they are very clear just what i need to sell my bike on here.

I really like the Litespeed frames, well made US titanium.

I'm 6ft 3 and find the bike handles fine, although not knowing any other as this is my first road bike. I like that the frame is a little compliant and it smooths out the judders over some of the rougher patches of road when my concentration prevents me from being able to steer around some of them in time.

It is very stable at speed and I feel quite confidant taking corners as much as any noob can so it all seems good. Also, no major wobbles when applying the brakes from a fairly fast downhill section(45mph), the brakes however do make a very whizzy noise when being applied at such a speed !!!

Photos are sized at 800px long on horizontal pics, 600px on vertical. I sharpened the raw files slightly for web too (using photoshop).
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Lovely bike - particularly liking the white stem / bars & hoods ... very smart.

The custom enigma posted later is super lovely mind you.. mmmmmm.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Simonhi wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I really like the Litespeed frames, well made US titanium.

I'm 6ft 3 and find the bike handles fine, although not knowing any other as this is my first road bike. I like that the frame is a little compliant and it smooths out the judders over some of the rougher patches of road when my concentration prevents me from being able to steer around some of them in time.

It is very stable at speed and I feel quite confidant taking corners as much as any noob can so it all seems good. Also, no major wobbles when applying the brakes from a fairly fast downhill section(45mph), the brakes however do make a very whizzy noise when being applied at such a speed !!!

Photos are sized at 800px long on horizontal pics, 600px on vertical. I sharpened the raw files slightly for web too (using photoshop).

I sold my Litespeed as i didnt like the handling of it - kinda put me off titanium until i seen Enigma and the fact that you can visit and be involved in the building of it.

The pictures are very good obviously not done on a camera phone :) Thanks for the pixel info as her indoors has just bought a new Canon 550d so hopefully my Colnago which i am selling maybe come up as good as your pics.