How much would you pay for this?

xcMuttley
xcMuttley Posts: 434
edited March 2012 in Road general
I am thinking of selling my singlespeed project bike so i have some money to put towards a road bike just wondering how much you think its worth?
http://imageshack.us/g/38/059vp.jpg/
Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• £100 maybe, wheels look nice.

If you lower the stem and raise the seat it will look much better and help you sell it
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Also remove the brakes. Optionally just keep the front brake with a tiny lever on the top of the bars. that should add £50 to its value, less is more and all that.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Depends on the quality of the frame - if it's Reynolds 531 tubing, then it may be worth something. If not, and it's plain guage steel tube, then £20 so better breaking for parts
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Front forks look like they have been in a collision.

To be truthful offer £40 and get a set of new forks.
  • xcMuttley
    Thanks for the replies, the forks are fine there is nothing wrong with them, not sure what tubing it is, a peugeot premier frame 1980s i think would be helpful if you could tell me what it is thanks
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Velonutter
    I've had another look and those forks look definitely bent!
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Velonutter wrote:

Bent in what way ? They are suposed to be like that if you mean bent at bottom - or can you see something i cant :D I dont know how old you are but bikes from the 80's had forks like that :)
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Velonutter
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Bent in what way ? They are suposed to be like that if you mean bent at bottom - or can you see something i cant :D I dont know how old you are but bikes from the 80's had forks like that :)

I'm 52 and was racing from 1969! Is that old enough to say those forks are bent? I also race a Vintage 1976 Classic Track Bike, so I know what a fork rake (bent forks to use your words) should look like!

The forks are not straight with the steerer, usually when they have a head on collision it causes the forks to bend back from the bottom race of the headset, I know because I have done it on a couple of occasions with great pain.

If you took the forks out and laid them on their back the steerer should be in perfect alignment with the rear of the forks, those don't appear to be in line, so unless that is a trick of the photo, they are bent!
  • teulk
    Velonutter wrote:
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

The forks are not straight with the steerer, usually when they have a head on collision it causes the forks to bend back from the bottom race of the headset, I know because I have done it on a couple of occasions with great pain.

Upon looking at the photo again, your right they do look slightly bent back.............you were right :oops:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Worth whipping the forks out and getting them checked. I bent the forks on my Dawes and they were straightened by a reputable bike builder for about £15. I think the crown was slightly distorted. Since then, I've covered about 6000 -7000 miles on the bike and it is absolutetly fine!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Velonutter
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Upon looking at the photo again, your right they do look slightly bent back.............you were right :oops:

No probs mate, hope you get them sorted.
  • teulk
    Velonutter wrote:
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    teulk wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

No probs mate, hope you get them sorted.

Its not my bike :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • xcMuttley
    No its my bike lol, I can see what you mean with the forks have another set in the garage will swap them over when i can walk again (Got quite a serious back problem had it for 16 month on and off, im 16 and doing exams so it hasnt come at a very good time really) What do you think it would be worth with straight forks on? Will put some pics on once im fixed and ive fixed the bike, Thanks for pointing it out
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    run your finger along the bottom of the down tube. that could be rippled as well. you might need a new frame to put with the forks.
  • xcMuttley
    Sorry has taken so long to reply i havnt been well at all who thought at 16 i could have a back problem this bad, I have checked numerous times and so has my dad and a bike mechanic, we all say the same that we cant see it must be a photo trick im not sure. Have sold this bike (with a few upgrades on it from those photos) for £160 he rid it once and fell in love with it. I am going to use the money on another project whilst i cant ride any of my bikes will put photos up once its completed , Thanks for the help