Endomondo App

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am using this app for tracking routes, timing laps etc and I have found it really useful.

It came up with a message saying there is a paid version available - just wondering if anyone has the paid version and what extras you get?

My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• There is a battery saver mode, other than that i'm not sure what else!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I have it. As far as i can tell it is exactly the same as the non paid one. Oh and by the way, the battery saved mode is absolutely terrible. It just draws straight lines between most of your route, sometimes cutting whole 4km routes to a 1km straight line.

See this route i did, you can see where it tracks the road on my way to the forest and on the way back draws straight lines. This upsets the top and average speed, and the total distance:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/m_obH9H2VDE
  • Just checked a bit more, it also offers a few other graphs, and ability to add goals, such as time or caloriers.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Never really considered it till the pro version was in the xmas sale for 10p, not used it as I have Garmin Fit on my phone and a Garmin 800 on my bars.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Will wait and see if it gets put on sale again at some point then!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Use Strava instead. I find it better, especially the website UI.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Strava has the best website purely because of the segments feature. Though the site is slow. App is extremely basic, but if you don't want anything from it but just track, then it does the job.

Endomondo is just popular and may be attractive because your friends use it. App is pretty basic though by default it sends live data to the website which will be draining the battery.

Sports Tracker has a really nice app and reasonable on the battery, though I discovered the Android version can't cope with the battery running out and you lose the entire track (Symbian version copes fine. Don't know about iPhone version). Web site is nice in a way. Looks very nice, but the whole thing is Flash which rules out any worshipers of the Church of Jobs ;), and is slow on some netbooks.

A number of others also, but these are the main one's I've used. I export and import the GPX tracks between them as I find each has their own use and friends don't all use the same one. Ideal for me would be a combination of Sports Tracker app and Strava web site though.

Wouldn't bother paying for Endo personally. The others don't charge (though Strava has a premium option for the web site).
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    I like runkeeper, good info when out n about and the web part is pretty good too.

Did use mapmyride but kept dropping gps all the time.
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    deadkenny wrote:
    Sports Tracker has a really nice app and reasonable on the battery, though I discovered the Android version can't cope with the battery running out and you lose the entire track (Symbian version copes fine. Don't know about iPhone version). Web site is nice in a way. Looks very nice, but the whole thing is Flash which rules out any worshipers of the Church of Jobs ;), and is slow on some netbooks.
    Works well on "Win-doze" phones....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've used the free and paid Endomondo apps and they're both the same apart from a couple of graphs of your ride which you could see on the website anyway. I'm currently tracking using Strave as I find it much more accurate at logging altitudes than the Endomondo app and the segments and bike/gear log are great but I still like the Endomondo site so I export the gpx file from Strava into it for each ride.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, Strava is doing elevation correction on their web site. This all assumes you are not getting big air at the time as it works off published satellite data on the known elevation of the ground from your location.

Phone GPS generally is very poor with elevation. "Proper" GPS devices tend to have a barometer in them to help out. There are a few phones that have them too.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I read something about that on the Strava support site, it must apply the same altitude info to the exported gpx file as it shows the same elevation relief when imported to Endomondo which is much better than all the false zeros the Endomondo app records. I did have a look at a proper GPS device but my window shopping ended up at a £400 Garmin Edge 800...I'll stick with what I've got!
  • Anonymous
    Other option I've used for fixing altitude is SportsTrack 3 on the PC. Load in the GPX file and use the Elevation Correction plugin to fix it, then export. But as Strava does it, then should be good anyway.