Hydro discs mod for roadies...?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hallo lyrcra lot,

There's been a few articles of late about bikes which are not mountain bikes (the only thing I know anything about) moving towards the use of disc brakes. But because they used hooded verticle levers instead of horizontal levers, there aren't any hyrdaulic systems out there for you. Instead, the opportunity to use discs relies on either cable actuated or that little black box of tricks that is cable input, hydro output.
Just a thought for those of you that like to fiddle; maybe you could mate the lever of the rt8 TT to an MTB caliper? The oil ratios between master and slave pistons might not be right for a proper feel - but with such a variety of calipers out there, something might work...

Anyway, just a thought!

#scuffles off back into the woods#

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Looks good.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yeah it's coming (discs on roadies) but slowly...

whichever of the big three (Campag, S or Sram) gets their hydro STI to market will tip the reluctant lump of scepticism over a welcomed precipice.

we're starting to get some half-decent 700c carbon disc forks coming through, and Volago havea full disc raodie bike in place (cable discs and 130mm OLN rear but a start at least..) so it's moving.

I now run my commuter as ful hydro disc - what a relief. It's a flat-bar CXer with 29er wheels though so a bit of a strange breed :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bluechair84
    maddog 2 wrote:
    we're starting to get some half-decent 700c carbon disc forks coming through

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about that obstacle too. Good to see there are options though.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the only precipice youl be tipping over is when the spokes crack the rim and your lower left fork blade starts rotating in unison with the wheel. dics will necesitate heavier forks, heavier wheels with an end to radial patterns, less aero,more expense, heavier hubs. discs dont look as sleek to me and what about brake bind from running the pads so close.
  • bluechair84
    rake wrote:
    the only precipice youl be tipping over is when the spokes crack the rim and your lower left fork blade starts rotating in unison with the wheel. dics will necesitate heavier forks, heavier wheels with an end to radial patterns, less aero,more expense, heavier hubs. discs dont look as sleek to me and what about brake bind from running the pads so close.

Christ... road bikes are fragile... A properly set up brake won't rub. A quick look on CRC shows a dura-ace build to be 317 pounds which is comparable with XTR discs. The increase in power is debatable but they're much less prone to weather and dings to the rim - which is probably more MTB useful tbh. But if you can set up a rim brake properly, you can set up a disc brake. I mention it because if someone out there is looking for a disc set up on road bars, there is a lever that would work now.
  • Road levers work with disc brakes, but the pads need to be a lot closer than in MTB... that's no problem if the discs are not warped, but it does cause noise if the pads get dirty... that said,m the noise goes away after a few squeezes once all is dry... Campagnolo and SRAM levers give more feeel than Shimano ones.... graphite composite rotors would be desirable to lower the weight and increase temperature range for long descents... a couple of light 160 discs are nearly 300g give or take
    left the forum March 2023
  • bluechair84
    Road levers work with disc brakes
    Which road levers? I'm posing the possibility of using the RT8 hydraulic levers with a hydro MTB caliper giving you the posibility of hooded levers and disc brakes which to my knowledge cannot yet be done... Are you saying the are road levers that will power hydro disc brakes?
  • rake
    i think hes talking about cable disk, and lever pull ratios.
    im not saying road bikes are fragile, they just been efficiently evolved to get the most performance out, significantly changing both where the brake force originates from and increasing the force loading of the brakes 4 or 5 times doesnt sit well with current designs a presents a lot of problems which arent as easy to deal with. I just dont want caliper brakes to dissapear because imo theyre a better solution albeit with lesser braking characteristics.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The problem is having an STI lever not just a 'vertical' lever. People want to keep integrated shifting and braking and none of the big 3 have integrated a hydraulic master cylinder into their lever body (yet). I think it's a no brainer for 2013/14 on electronic groups as they have the space required without much of a redesign needed, not sure if it will filter to mechanical groups, there are already cable-to-hydraulic converters that provide a solution there (from TRP, Hope etc.) can't see much business sense in the big 3 radically redesigning their mechanical levers for a what will be a fairly niche market for a while.
    Weight-wise I think we'll end up with something equivalent to rim brakes, you don't have to beef up forks that much (there's already light road carbon disc forks out there) and what you gain with the disc you can loose a lot of at the rim by having no braking surface.
  • bluechair84
    We've certainly experienced slightly lighter rims by having no braking surface, but it's only slight. When Rake mentioned spokes being ripped out of rims, I wondered if the nipple areas of road rims are especially well shaved of excess metal to not be able to cope with a braking force futher from the tyre. Either way, weight gain on forks and wheels should be small.
    It's whether you've been looking to fit hyrdo discs to curved road bars. I'm not sure what solution to shifting the RT8 incorporated but yeah - that's another obstacle!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The RT8 TT is for solo time trial riders. I wonder what advantages better braking has during a time trial?
    The most advantageous use of disk and hydraulic braking is found in the worst conditions ie cyclo-cross, commuting and winter training. Manufacturers should break with convention and introduce a hydraulic system at a low price point then the technology can trickle up. If they introduce hydraulic disks at the pro end, riders will try it, see that it offers little advantage for going fast in the dry, and lose interest. There will then be no trickle down to the riders who really could use it.
  • maddog 2
    they'll always be those who talk these ideas down and say the technology won't work and the forks will break and the wheels will crack, and it's too heavy, and so on. All the discussions on this topic contain a subset of non-believers (mostly irrational). That has always happened with technology and they'll always be there. And that's fine - you keep your traditional, adequate rim brakes.

I won't though. I'll be on discs.

I'm already on them on my commuter. As soon as the tech catches up with roadies - forks, wheels etc. I'll be making the jump there too. I dare say I'll die soon after but we'll see eh :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I'm waiting to see what they do about brake reaction forces, and the disc ripping the wheel out of the dropouts.

Lawyer lips and through axles are no good on a race bike because of quick wheel changes. MTB bike and fork manufacturers haven't advertised the problem (and have settled out of court with non-disclosure on the few court cases that haven't happened), but if you look you'll find that simple road style dropouts no longer exist.

The simple solution is to put the disc caliper on the front of the left fork blade so the axle is forced into the dropout rather than out, but I see no sign anyone doing this.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    andrew_s wrote:
    I'm waiting to see what they do about brake reaction forces, and the disc ripping the wheel out of the dropouts.

Lawyer lips and through axles are no good on a race bike because of quick wheel changes. MTB bike and fork manufacturers haven't advertised the problem (and have settled out of court with non-disclosure on the few court cases that haven't happened), but if you look you'll find that simple road style dropouts no longer exist.

The simple solution is to put the disc caliper on the front of the left fork blade so the axle is forced into the dropout rather than out, but I see no sign anyone doing this.
    Cotic Roadrat uses a mount on the front, driveside fork blade but it is hardly a racebike.
    Braking forces pivot the wheel about the brake pad and rotate the axle down, out of the dropout. Angling the dropout forward a bit will eliminate this danger.
  • rake
    this is true but the main problem that normal qr levers cant hold them, the friction trying to rotate the brake pads is proportional to the diameter of the brake surface. give discs are several times smaller you have to generate several times the force at the pad to stop the same, the main problem made worse by repositioning the brake. so its not irrational madogg, just an engineering brain can see obstacles. understand im not saying it cant be done, just not as efficiently as calipers.
  • maddog 2
    the engineering for dropouts to hold the wheel in place is straightforward, and it works, as said. Sure, traditional dropouts (made for caliper brakes) aren't ideal with discs but so what..... the engineering just need to suit the application.

There is no engineering argument against discs. The only rational argument I can see against discs - and by that I mean one with some data to support it - is that they are slightly heavier, but this will become less of an argument over time, and anyway plenty of bike parts are heavier than they could be but are still good designs - Di2, two-ring setups, adjustable saddles/stems etc...

On all other aspects discs are better - more power, consistency, better modulation, better in the rain, less rim wear (and less danger from split rims as a result), better pad wear, easier pad maintenance, possibly even more aero overall, rims can also be re-designed as no braking track needs to engineered into them (which suits carbon down to the ground) and so can be lighter, and again, possibly more aero.
  • rake
    maddog 2 wrote:
    the engineering for dropouts to hold the wheel in place is straightforward, and it works, as said. Sure, traditional dropouts (made for caliper brakes) aren't ideal with discs but so what..... the engineering just need to suit the application.

There is no engineering argument against discs. The only rational argument I can see against discs - and by that I mean one with some data to support it - is that they are slightly heavier, but this will become less of an argument over time, and anyway plenty of bike parts are heavier than they could be but are still good designs - Di2, two-ring setups, adjustable saddles/stems etc...

On all other aspects discs are better - more power, consistency, better modulation, better in the rain, less rim wear (and less danger from split rims as a result), better pad wear, easier pad maintenance, possibly even more aero overall, rims can also be re-designed as no braking track needs to engineered into them (which suits carbon down to the ground) and so can be lighter, and again, possibly more aero.
    :lol::lol:

with enough development theres no reason not to have heater/blowers for those icy cold winter rides. they only need to make a battery the size and weight of a fag packet with 30KW/h capacity.
  • maddog 2
    put me down for one :wink:

but way technology changes biking is an interesting topic - for example, electric motors. What with all the guff about Cancellara potentially having one last year and the technology of lithium batteries getting better and lighter... it does raise the question.. if you could have an extra few watts for a kilo or so, would you take them?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    maddog 2 wrote:
    The only rational argument I can see against discs - and by that I mean one with some data to support it - is that they are slightly heavier.

Rim brakes are mechanically simpler and easier to adjust (though need more adjusting to start with) and vastly less annoying when refitting wheels. Also, the narrow clearances of discs makes them prone to squeaking and potentially dragging and there isn't much you can do about that if it happens on the road. This could presumably be designed out but it doesn't seem as though anyone has seen fit to do this so far!

As MichaelW says, the advantages of discs are mainly when conditions are poor. In the dry I found braking distances on my road bikes not much longer than that of my disc equiped MTB - and most of that difference I suspect was the weight of the MTB keeping itself planted more. Any more brake on the road bike and I'd have been over the bars so I suspect discs would make little difference.

Given that road bikes can't use as much stopping power as MTBs anyway, I'm not quite sure what the obsession is with looking at hydraulic discs. From what I understand, good quality cable discs can be very good indeed. I suspect they may be a more logical route for raod bikes than hydraulics.

On that basis, there is little technical advantage in me having discs on my road bikes. On my commuters, on the other hand, there clearly is.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

and most of that difference I suspect was the weight of the MTB keeping itself planted more.

Not sure about the physics here... you are saying that it's easier to slow down a heavier object... let's fit your Dura Ace calipers to a lorry then... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • maddog 2
    Any more brake on the road bike and I'd have been over the bars so I suspect discs would make little difference

Again, sorry, this is a duff argument. Just because you can yank on the brakes and lift the rear wheel doesn't mean you have 'good enough' brakes - the key is can you do it controllably?

Having the power and modulation to brake hard enough to lift the rear controllably is hard with rim brakes because the power they produce under hard braking is less consistent than discs, due to the blocks getting very hot, very quickly and doing nasty things to the friction coeffs (especially on Alpine type descents). Tis true that discs suffer fade too, but nowhere near as bad IME.

Your argument is like saying: all car brakes can lock the wheels, so all car brakes are the same. They aren't. Some have more power and control and feel and modulation.

Now clearly quite a chunk of riders never brake that hard anyway... which is a different issue. If you don't need good brakes then that's fine.