Bar Tape Advice?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Just changed the bars on my summer bike- Kuota Kebel and thinking of changing the bar tape for white. Have resisted this in the past as it could be a nightmare to clean but think i'll give it a go for this spring/summer rides.
I don't like the fizik logo'd tape and the Deda looks perforated which I'm not so keen on.
Any other suggestions?

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    You can get the Fizik handle bar tape without the logos.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-microtex-bar-tape/
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Basic Pro tape with silicon backing. Easy to fit, easy to clean and dead comfortable.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Cheers Rodrego, who sells it?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have no problem keeping Specialized Roubaix tape in white clean.

Its a bit suede-like or clothy is the best way of putting it compared to the shiny look of a lot of tapes, I spray plenty of normal Pledge (spring fresh is my favourite :) ) on the tape and tightly grip and twist ever so slightly with a microfibre cloth, comes up like new.

(I dont like the holes in Fizik either, I like bar tape to look as plain as poss, even worse when you have logos on it as well to my eyes, so know where you're coming from)
  • glasgowbhoy
    mfin wrote:

Its a bit suede-like or clothy is the best way of putting it compared to the shiny look of a lot of tapes, I spray plenty of normal Pledge (spring fresh is my favourite :) ) on the tape and tightly grip and twist ever so slightly with a microfibre cloth, comes up like new.

(I dont like the holes in Fizik either, I like bar tape to look as plain as poss, even worse when you have logos on it as well to my eyes, so know where you're coming from)

Good call. will have a look at that too. I like the suede look and minimalist stlye!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:

Good call. will have a look at that too. I like the suede look and minimalist stlye!

...it was a pain in the ass to clean till I found that method, just dont be shy with the pledge and definitely those microfibre cloths, they're brilliant because they have just the right kind of abrasive-ish texture and absorbancy to pull the dirt out, and they dont leave any bits of fluff behind. (tried pledge on my mates with any old rag I could find and took loads longer!!, seriously :) )

...if you like the look of that particular tape, thats a good way to keep it 'persil' clean.
  • Cheers Rodrego, who sells it?

Any Madison / Shimano retailer should be able to get it. It's the best stuff I've used and I've been taping bars for over 20 years! (not constantly though!!)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I have no rational reason for this opinion, but tape should be black and made by Cinelli (Gel version for me). This should be part of the conditions of sale for any road bike!

On a more helpful note, a couple of my obviously insane friends swear by Big Wipesfor white bar tape which are industrial baby wipes with a textured and smoth side impregnated with a degreaser. You can get them from Halfords etc. and can also be used on chains etc.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')