Road kill t-shirts

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Is anybody else getting adverts for "road kill" t-shirts on here?

I thought it was a bit inappropriate for a cycling website which has lost at least a couple of members in road accidents. Are they automatically generated, or are they chosen by somebody?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    tbh i've used adblocker so long i hadn't even realised there were ads!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I thought ads on such sites as this reflected your browsing history somehow, detected by cookies? For example, in my pre-adblocker days I'd get John Lewis ads on here if I had been looking on that site quite recently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    I love the way the filter changes the name of an ad blocker to that message about ads paying for the site!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    hmm, hadn't noticed that, maybe need to say bloqueur de publicité instead

but as i pay for a procycling subscription, and imho am also a mostly helpful contibutor on the forums, maybe br should have the class to pay me for helping drive their ad revenues rather than making impertinent alterations
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I thought ads on such sites as this reflected your browsing history somehow, detected by cookies? For example, in my pre-adblocker days I'd get John Lewis ads on here if I had been looking on that site quite recently.

:shock: Bloody hell I hope not.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I thought ads on such sites as this reflected your browsing history somehow, detected by cookies? For example, in my pre-adblocker days I'd get John Lewis ads on here if I had been looking on that site quite recently.
    There are several different systems used by different companies. If you visit Amazon for example, they track what products you look at using a Cookie and then next time you visit the site they advertise based on what you were looking at before.

There was a big hoo har a while ago about various ISP (BT included) who were going to install servers to monitor what sites you visit then give that information to Ad providers so that they can target their ads based on your browsing history. There was a big thing made about whether you should be in the scheme by default, but can opt our, or whether you should be out by default.

The other type is where the ad provider looks at the words on the particular page you are looking at at the moment and tries to serve up an ad that matches the theme of that page.
  • I thought they were some sort of road safety campaign thing...?

Am i totally wrong?