Loose Spoke

wardieboy
wardieboy Posts: 230
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi All

I was out on a ride this morning and noticed the rear brake hub rubbing, gave the wheel a spin and it was out of true. One of the spokes was really loose so tightened it as much as I could by hand and limped the bike home. Once at home the spoke was loose again, I tightened it with some pliers and it has pulled the wheel back into shape. Should there be anything else I need to look at or consider? The bike is new and I have done about 350 miles on her over the last three weeks.

Any input appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you may get away with it however you could need all of your spokes tightening slightly, if undertensioned the load can come off at the bottom and allow them to unscrew. they will be more likely to break from fatigue if theyre going too slack also. id reccomend having the wheel retensioned if you arent into wheel building yourself. its not too pricey considering the faffing about. £20 - £30. you can chance it but risk having repeat issues when away from home.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    If the bike is only 3 weeks old take it back to the shop you bought it from for a "free" service and mention the spoke problem. Any decent bike shop should sort this out for you for free.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Thanks Phil but it was an online purchase so no free service option. I'm fully expecting things to need tightening up with a new bike and am not averse to having a tinker myself. I've just not messed about with spokes at all. The wheel is true now, so I think it was just the one loose spoke which caused the issue. I think I'll take it for a short spin tomorrow and give it another thorough check over.

Cheers.
  • wardieboy - Its fairly common for a new wheel to maybe need some adjustment after the first few rides so probably just need retensioning. I'm all for DIY on bike repair (learned a bit at a time myself and leanred most of it on here/Sheldon Brown/Park Tools site or Bike Tutor - back when it was free!) but re your first post don''t adjust spokes with pliers get the right tool and make sure it fits (don't want to end up with stripped nipples!).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A properly built wheel should not come loose.

Return it as not fit for purpose.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}