Bb30

rudivoller22
rudivoller22 Posts: 492
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi
I have a focus Cayo with bb30 bottom bracket. It is a 50/34 compact but I want to change it to 53/39.
Stupid question but can I just change chainrings or do I have to get a completely new chainset? First time I've had bb30 so I'm clueless really!
Thanks in advance for your help.
Martyn

Comments

• dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    You simply have to source chainrings with similar bolt circle diameter (BCD) to your present chainset.
    Most compacts have 110mm BCD.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    you don't say what cassette it has, or why you want to change things

might help with advice on other options - maybe there are better alternatives
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Sorry- cassette is 12-27. I use it mainly for triathlon and my last bike was 53-39 - just feel like I sometimes need a bigger gear when flat out. Is it as simple as just switching the rings over then? And readjusting gears?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Sorry- cassette is 12-27. I use it mainly for triathlon and my last bike was 53-39 - just feel like I sometimes need a bigger gear when flat out. Is it as simple as just switching the rings over then? And readjusting gears?
    Yes. Just get rings the size you want with a 110mm BCD. Stronglight do a good range as do TA. Both available here.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s149p0
    Avoid the 'Dural' rings. They do not last long. 'Zicral' or better are fine.
    I use both 50/34 and 52/38 on my best bike with the same cranks.
  • sungod
    Sorry- cassette is 12-27. I use it mainly for triathlon and my last bike was 53-39 - just feel like I sometimes need a bigger gear when flat out. Is it as simple as just switching the rings over then? And readjusting gears?

if you can really maintain a high cadence on 50/12, and are not really using the very lowest gears, then an 11-23 or 11-25 cassette would give you a higher top gear than 53/12, and also the benefit of smaller steps between changes over the range

i think 34/23 will give you about the same lowest gear as 39/27

might be worth experimenting with the calculator here to compare your current gearing to various options...

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html
  • John.T
    What is all this cr*p about smaller steps.
    12/27 is 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,27.
    11/23 is 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23.
    Both are as close as you can get up to the 17 but if you look at the percentage differences on Sheldon you will see that they are actually bigger for the same gear ratios. Smaller sprockets are also less efficient.
    It is pretty well a non issue unless you are splitting hairs. The way you present it is like the triple fans who try to say you can spin up a hill on your 30/27 (or even 25) that you would struggle up on 34/27 which is also cr*p.
  • sungod
    they're smaller at the low end, fact

get over youself
  • John.T
    sungod wrote:
    They're smaller at the low end, fact.
    Get over youself.
    Yes. Just where you need them bigger. You would only use the 2 biggest on the small ring and by the time you get down there you want as low a gear as you can find. You are in bale-out territory.
    The OP asked about alternative rings for compact cranks which I answered. He did not ask about alternative cassettes. I am sure he could already work that one out. There are too many on here pushing their own particular hobby horse, be it compacts, standard or triple. Non are perfect and you will have to make compromises with all of them. Why can people not just answer the question asked. icon_confused.gif
    As for getting over myself. I have no problem doing that. And for your information I have compact cranks on all my bikes. 50/34 with 12/27 on the winter one, 50/34 or 52/38 with 12/27 on the summer one and 53/38 with 12/23 or 11/21 on the TT one. These have got me round several Etape du Tours and Raid Pyreneen and are based on over 50 years cycling experience. icon_wink.gif
  • Get yourself an 11-23 or 11-25 cassette.

I raced 2 seasons with 50 x 11 and never ran out of speed as this gear is massive.

A lot cheaper than any other real solution.

Only change I would make is swap out the 34 for a 36 which is much more useable.