Garmin 705 connection problem

dbg
dbg Posts: 846
edited March 2013 in Workshop
When I connect my Garmin 705 to my Mac it no longer mounts the volume on the desktop so I can't see it to download data in Garmin Connect - any ideas? When I plug it into my mac it also turns the unit on, whereas before it just came up with the connected to computer screen

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Sounds like the same problem I had, phoned the helpline they emailed some files which are supposed to help.........they didn't, so sent the unit back and got a new one in a week or so!
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    I have the same problem - and did all what the internet recommended to no avail.
    Now the unit is with Garmin, who say they will probably just offer a discounted replacement unit.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Maybe silly, but I have found that when I connect, it simply re-charges. The Garmin display shows that happening and that it is connected to a computer.
    To do anything else, I have to switch the Garmin unit on as well.
    Works for me.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dbmnk
    Well, it's no secret that the Edge software is some of the worst engineering on planet, so people operating the unit in the same way get different results. Actually it's pretty amazing to get it that wrong.
    I think slight variations in USB power results in different scenarios. E.g. When I connected my Edge it would turn on like I was going for a ride, and then had to attempt to shut it off twice before it would go in PC-mode so I could browse the unit. Still it would not store new rides or receive new cuorses.
  • When you connect the unit (switched off) to your computer does it boot up as if it was switched on normally (ie go to the satellite acquisition screen)?
    If so, I might have had a similar problem a while back albeit on a PC.
    After connecting the unit hit the OFF button until you get the "connected to a computer" graphic on the front screen (I think it takes two goes). Alternatively you can use BootBlock, which is holding the joystick in the UP position while you connect the switched off unit to the computer (this can be a bit tricky for the hand-eye coordination challenged among us).

Once you've got the unit in the connected state, you should be able to look at the contents of the unit using whatever your Mac uses instead of Windows Explorer. In my case there were two removable drives, one was the microSD card with the maps on and the other the unit's internal 1GB flash drive (older units have a 500MB drive I believe). This second drive, when selected, gave an error message saying it needed to be formatted. After checking on the web, and removing the SD card to avoid accidents, I formatted the drive, and hey presto! the unit started working again. OK, I'd lost all my settings, but I'd have needed to redo them with a new unit anyway.

I, obviously, take no responsibility if you try this and it b*ggers up your Edge.

Hoping this helps.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • dbmnk
    yup, tried all that, but thanks for sharing
  • Hey guys. I've just foud out how to solve this problem.

1) Connect Garmin to your PC and turn it off (on display there is a bettery)
    2) Press and hold down OFF button for a while
    3) Garmin changes from chargint to data mode

It works for my Gardmin Edge 705, 3.2 SW.

Hope it will help you,

Alexander
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Did anyone ever get a definitive iMac solution to this ?
    My 705 has suddenly decided it won't mount, none of the above solutions work and Webupdater doesn't recognise my device either.
    It's two years old and the only solution Garmin have is for me to pay them £100 to replace the whole unit.
  • hopak wrote:
    Did anyone ever get a definitive iMac solution to this ?
    My 705 has suddenly decided it won't mount, none of the above solutions work and Webupdater doesn't recognise my device either.
    It's two years old and the only solution Garmin have is for me to pay them £100 to replace the whole unit.

I had this happen to me halfway through a Land's End John O'Groats ride, although it was failing to mount on a PC, and also wasn't recognised on WebUpdater.

I found an approach that sounds a bit dramatic, but worked for me. You may be able to replicate it on a Mac.

1) First take your map pack out of the Garmin.
    2) Connect it to your Mac
    3) Open Utilities > Disk Utility

Hopefully you will be able to see the Garmin as a physically attached USB device of some description, despite not mounting. If you do, then:

Reformat the disk. That's the deep breath moment.

What this does is force the Garmin to rebuild its directory structure the next time you turn it on. What I think happened to mine was the file structure somehow got corrupted.

Use the following settings:
    a. File System: FAT32
    b.Volume label: GARMIN

Full instructions are in Post #30 here:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... ve-F/page3

I couldn't get anything on or off it, so I basically skipped to step four and Nuked it. Reinstalled all the maps I'd thought to keep in Google Drive :)

Doing that took mine from totally none responsive (in the way you describe) to working fine, and it's been fine for about 18 months now. Removing the map pack means you don't accidentally format that by mistake.

EDIT: If it's not even been recognised as a USB "thing" then it may be properly hosed. Have you tried it with different cables/machines?
  • hopak
    Thanks for the suggestion Mikenetic but I'm afraid it doesn't work for me.
    When I connect the 705 it instantly goes into locating satellites mode. If I force it by switching on with the toggle pushed upwards it goes into PC mode, but doesn't show on my desktop.
    It appears in Disk Utility, but even when selected I can't format or repair it.
    I'm not given the option.
    When I try to connect with Webupdater, or Garmin Connect the sites don't recognize the thing as being connected.
    I think it's a joke that when you pay over £300 for the damn thing in the first place, and then after less than 24 months they want you to fork out another hundred because it stops doing what it's supposed to.
    I wish I'd stuck with my Cateye Strada.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Use a different cable, or clean the cable you're using...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hopak
    jibberjim wrote:
    Use a different cable, or clean the cable you're using...
    Sorry I should have said.
    I've tried both.
    Different cables and a blast with RS switch cleaner and an air duster.
    No difference.
  • hopak wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion Mikenetic but I'm afraid it doesn't work for me.
    When I connect the 705 it instantly goes into locating satellites mode. If I force it by switching on with the toggle pushed upwards it goes into PC mode, but doesn't show on my desktop.
    It appears in Disk Utility, but even when selected I can't format or repair it.
    I'm not given the option.
    When I try to connect with Webupdater, or Garmin Connect the sites don't recognize the thing as being connected.
    I think it's a joke that when you pay over £300 for the damn thing in the first place, and then after less than 24 months they want you to fork out another hundred because it stops doing what it's supposed to.
    I wish I'd stuck with my Cateye Strada.

Can you try the same routine on a PC instead? I wonder if you might have better luck with the PC Disk utilities? For what it's worth mine was reformatted via PC, but I normally use it with a Mac.
  • hopak
    mikenetic wrote:

Can you try the same routine on a PC instead? I wonder if you might have better luck with the PC Disk utilities? For what it's worth mine was reformatted via PC, but I normally use it with a Mac.

I'll give it a go and report back.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I put mine in a bag of rice to dry it out for a few days, it worked after that!
  • hopak
    FatTed wrote:
    I put mine in a bag of rice to dry it out for a few days, it worked after that!

Risotto or basmati ?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Australian long grain white rice
  • hopak
    Sat down with a friend who's more computer literate than me and tried the lot.
    Re-booted, re-suited, re-formatted, switched on, switched off, soft reset, hard reset, master reset, australian long grain rice.........result ........ failure.
    Still not recognized by Garmin Connect or Webupdater.
    On the plus side everything else; rides, routes, mapping etc still work so as long as I can get over the disappointment of being unable to upload my efforts and pour over them in Google Earth (all I ever did was look at the elevation profile) it's still worth every penny of the £250 I paid for it in June 2011.
    Not.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Well ..................... my Garmin 500 is working perfectly, and if I plug into my Macbook I can even download my activities. No problem.

However, when I plug it into my PC at work, or my PC at home, the it starts charging, but the device is not found by Garmin Connect or anything else for that matter. It doesn't show up on Windows Device Manager. Tried different cables, different ports, a 'hard' reset of the 500 (losing all data and setting :( ) and still nothing. Re-installed Communicator, tried plugging in with it switched on, switched off, etc. Nothing doing.

Sent an email to Garmin Support, and ............................... nothing. No reply.

Going to by a Bryton!

A few of us in my club are having the same problems, mixture of 500, 705 and 800 devices. Garmin have got a serious problem on their hands here. I suspect they'll blame Microsoft or Apple, but that's a bit irrelevant to be honest. Bottom line is device doesn't work as it should. Not happy.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12908952
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Can I make a suggestion - it doesn't fix the problem, but it may be a work around.

You can save the ride data to the additional memory card - you know, the microUSB one...

Then, once in a while, just remove this from the device and plug into a card reader on your computer of choice - upload the data to Garmin/Strava/Whatever and Bobs your uncle...

Bit of a PITA, but does mean you don't "loose" the ride stats.
  • proto
    Thanks, but the 500 doesn't have a memory card. Still waiting for Garmin.
  • proto
    Still no reply from Garmin.

They seem to be impossible to contact by telephone. Their support phone number doesn't connect with anything and their main switchboard number is never answered. Getting mighty pi**ed off.
  • hopak
    This is the number I tried...
    02380 524 000 and got through easily both times.
    The email address I've been bombarding is escalationsuk@garmin.com.
    Good luck.
  • proto
    Finally got through.Took an age, and more than one attempt, for reception to answer and then she had to run upstairs to get someone to pick up the phone.

Soke to a young fellow and told him of my woes. He had to go and ask someone else for help, took ages, but advice was connect device to PC, then hold PAGE/MENU button down for 30 seconds, which should force the device into Mass Storage Device mode, which should then be detected by Windows.

He then said that would cure the problem. How or why he was unable to explain. He suggested if it didn't fix the problem, to phone back, which implies they don't think it will work.

He also said they have not particularly had any recent communication issues with their devices, and definitely none where a device will talk to a Mac put not a Windows PC. I'm unique! I'll report back.
  • hopak
    Just as an update, here's my reply from Garmin.

"Dear Mr Hopak,

Thank you for your email regarding your Garmin edge 705. I have been
    forwarded your email to respond on the behalf of the Consumer Support
    Manager.

I have fully investigated this issue and can see we have no
    manufacturing faults with the Garmin Edge series. Garmin takes the
    reliability and performance of its products extremely seriously, and we
    do adopt a pro-active approach if we are aware of any issue affecting
    our products

Unfortunately, our warranty does not go by the usage of the device, our
    products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or
    workmanship for 1 year from the date of purchase. As is the case with
    any electronic product, although undesirable, defects can occur either
    in or outside the warranty period. Garmin is committed to providing a
    service and support structure to address any faults that may occur.

Unfortunately we will not be offering you a replacement under warranty
    and if you wish to proceed in getting your device replaced there will be
    a fixed cost involved. I do apologise for the inconvenience this may
    have caused.

Kind regards,

Danielle Harding

Garmin Europe
    "

In other words "Thanks for your money and get stuffed".