Salsa El Mariachi or On-One Inbred 29" frame??

The Red Baron
The Red Baron Posts: 19
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm (slowly) building up a 29" hardtail and I'll be buying a new frame in the next 2 months.

I like On-One frames; I'm very fond of my 26" Inbred singlespeed. I want to stick with a steel frame, and I don't mind the extra weight over aluminium. Titanium is sadly out of my budget and I'm wary of carbon for off -road use.

The current On-One Inbred is spoiled by having redundant v-brake bosses, which just means ugly holes in a frame. The swap-out dropouts aren't a huge advantage either. However, there's apparently a newer model coming out without those features.

My one complaint about my current Inbred is that the paint chips very easily.

However.......I'm also tempted by the Salsa El Mariachi, but I'm wondering whether I can justify spending twice as much as the On-One (£470 vs £225 at current prices). Is the Salsa really twice as good????? A steel Niner would also be nice, but nearly £800.....

I'll be using a suspension fork (100mm Reba)

I'd appreciate any feedback if you've tried either of those frame,

Thanks

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    theres so many to choose from, what sort of riding will you be doing?

Cotic are bringing one out next month: http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris

Singular have a nice one aswell.
  • I just do not get you people who are still convinced carbon = flexy, flimsy plastic.

The number of videos and links to other info that has been posted over the last couple of years, coupled with the sheer number of bikes out there and I'm amazed that anyone still takes this view.

Go for the On-one Carbon 29er frame and man up ;)
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I wouldn't say it's flexy or flimsy plastic, but I would say the only bike I've ever snapped was a carbon fibre one. Might be just unlucky, but once bitten and all that. Makes me slightly edgy about investing in another, especially as the manufacturer wasn't at all helpful about it.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Milko i think you must of been unlucky.
    Carbon is the future of MTB frames. I have broken Ally ones and steel ones, never a carbon one.

On-one Scandal 29er is awesomly light and fast but like other on-ones paint is poop.
    Whatabout one of THESE
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thanks for replies; it's for XC riding in the Mournes (N Ireland) mostly.

I take your point re carbon, I'm probably being illogical. However, in favour of a steel frame, I have found my Inbred's steel frame to be very comfortable, to the point that I don't miss my older full-sus Specialized at all.

VWsurfbum - one of THESE looks remarkably like the carbon 29" frames that are available on Ebay from China - anyone taken a chance on one of those???

Anyway, the other reason why I don't want one of those fancy carbon frames is that most of them have all these new standard fittings like BB30 bottom brackets and tapered headsets - I'm on a bit of a budget and so I'm trying to move some bits and pieces from another bike.

Back to the original question: is the Salsa frame worth twice as much as On One's???
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    in a word "no"
    very nice light frames though.

In response to ordering one from china/hong kong, i have and it arrives next week so i'll let you know how it is.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't fall into the trap that 'all steel frames are comfy' - they aren't, some are bruisingly stiff! Pays to test if you can.

As for if the Salsa is worth more - in my eyes no. If it weighed 4.5lbs and used Reynolds 831 yes, but it uses standard cromo, same as the Inbred.
  • Sorry for late reply - away for a few days and it was too difficult to log-on to a different computer (usernames, passwords etc - all saved on my own computer)

Thanks for all the replies; Supersonic especially as per original question. I'm going to hang on for the new On-One frames (without the horrible v-brake bosses) and spend the savings on other bits.