Changing Veloce cassette and rear mech compatability

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Guys,

I'm currently running a 12-25t rear cassette on my Veloce 10sp 2010 groupset.

I've got a short cage rear mech, and want to change to a 13-29 on the back for some hilly rides.

Is the short rear mech compatible with a 50-34 13-29 combo?

Cheers,
FJ

P.S. Also, what tools do I need to remove the rear cassette, and the chainset and PowerTorque BB if I needed to?
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You need the Campag cassette removal tool (and a big spanner for leverage) and a chainwhip. That's it. For additional luxury, a cheap large torque wrench (I got one from Lidl for £15) is handy as you can then always tighten to the same amount. I once wrecked a removal tool having over-tightened the cassette previously. What you do with them is easily found on Youtube - or I'm sure the Park Tools website.

I sometimes use a Campag 13-29 with my standard short cage Centaur or Record rear mechs. I've been able to do this without any additional adjustments but it is possible you may have to tweak the bolt that moves the mech away from the cassette if the 29 gets too close.

You'll also need another chain as it will need to be a couple of links longer than your current one.

10 minute job as it is your first time!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Cheers Rolf,

Any idea what I would I need for the removal of the Chainset and BB?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Out of my comfort zone here as I haven't touched my Campag BBs yet! There is a tool for the BB cups - I think there are some that are open and better ones that are more like a socket and are less likely to damage the finish. Not sure if you need anything special for the cranks - but the tech docs can be downloaded from the Campagnolo website. My cranksets are Ultratorque though and I am aware that Powertorque is supposed to be much trickier to work on. I get the impression it is expensive tools or a LBS job. It'll probably be clear if you do a search on here for Powertorque! eg see here for Montydogs comment - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12809311&hilit=powertorque

You don't need to change the crankset or BB for this job though.
    Faster than a tent.......