Campag on a Giant?

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Would a new Campg groupset (say Athena or Chorus) be compatiable with a new Giant (say a TCR Composite 1) or Cannondale Supersix frameset. The BB fittings confuse me.

Looking to get a new race bike as a crash replacement but have nice Campag wheels in the shed. (for a full reason see here - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12831342) that would like to use.

Thanks
amc

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Giant have a press-fit BB designed they designate BB90 which is actually BB86. Cannondale typically use a BB30 design. Campagnolo produce press-in BB cups suitable for both designs so you'll have no problem fitting your groupset on either frame - you just need to ensure your order the right cups for your design of frame.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • amc
    Brilliant, thanks Monty Dog that's v helpful. (I hasten to add i won't be doing the fitting myself). I assume that's the only way to make my Campag Neutron Ultra's fit a Shimano Spec bike? Can one turn a Campag wheel into a Shimano one?
    amc
  • You can put Campag wheels on a shimano bike but it would be a Sin.

Simply get a shimano pattern freehub body for your Neutron wheels. They aren't cheap, but a lot cheaper than a whole Campag groupset.

http://www.slanecycles.com/campagnolo-freehub-body-for-shimano-8910spd-p-3130.html
  • amc
    Thanks again - everyday is a school day (especially when it comes to mechanics). I didn't know that was possible. You're right it is a sin to have Campag on a Shimano but it may be a case of needs must.
    amc
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Replacement Shimano freehub for your Neutrons will be about £60 - FH-BO015 is part number
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..