8 Speed Ergo Levers

Old Tuggo
Old Tuggo Posts: 482
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Having bought a new Campag Veloce (old type) rear mech in the jumble could I use it with Ergo Levers or am I limited to downtube levers?

Comments

• 8 speed is very forgiving and pretty much any rear derailleur will work OK, that includes Shimano ones
    left the forum March 2023
  • Old Tuggo
    8 speed is very forgiving and pretty much any rear derailleur will work OK, that includes Shimano ones
    Thanks for the info - I may not have wasted my money after all.
  • surely not... if in trouble, always start the indexing from a middle sprockeby perfectly alignining jockey wheels and sprocket verticallyt and work your way to the end ones
  • Old Tuggo
    At present I only possess spare 9 speed Shimano levers, I assume they will not do the job?
  • Old Tuggo wrote:
    At present I only possess spare 9 speed Shimano levers, I assume they will not do the job?

So you have 9 speed STI levers, a Veloce derailleur and 8 speed cassette? The easiest is to swap to 9 speed cassette, but I can't guarantee everything will work flawlessly. Which cassette do you have Shimano or Campagnolo?
  • Old Tuggo
    I have plenty of Shimano 7,8 or 9 speed cassettes. You have given me some hope that I can bodge something together using the 9 speed Shimano levers and 8 speed Campag rear mech on a winter bike which presently has downtube levers.
  • It might or might not work

Shimano 9 speed cassettes are a lot narrower than Campagnolo, what it means is that Campy ergo 9 with campy RD and shimano 9 cassette is OK, but Shimano STI with Campagnolo 9 cassette is a no.
    Shimano 9 sti, with 9 cassette and Campagnolo derailleur... maybe?
    Shimano RD with Campagnolo 9 setup doesn't work very well, you might be luckier the other way round
  • Old Tuggo
    It might or might not work

Shimano 9 speed cassettes are a lot narrower than Campagnolo, what it means is that Campy ergo 9 with campy RD and shimano 9 cassette is OK, but Shimano STI with Campagnolo 9 cassette is a no.
    Shimano 9 sti, with 9 cassette and Campagnolo derailleur... maybe?
    Shimano RD with Campagnolo 9 setup doesn't work very well, you might be luckier the other way round
    Thanks again for the info, I will try the STI 9 with cassette and campag rear mech.