Star Nut or Expander ?

DomN86
DomN86 Posts: 112
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have a 'Marzocchi 44RLO 26 RC 2010 (120mm / 140mm)' http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75533.

Star Nut
or
Expander

?
GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Either. Most headset come with something or most bikes already have something fitted so use them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    starnut nice and simple and does the job..

those expanders like those stupid head doctors are a waste of time.. starnut fit and forget.
  • DomN86
    nicklouse wrote:
    Either. Most headset come with something or most bikes already have something fitted so use them.

Yeah the star nut is in my old fork, my new fork didn’t come with a star nut; is that right?

Plus I don’t think it will be a good idea to hammer out the star nut in my old fork, as it will surely ruin its integrity, and for 99p for a star nut, surely I will be better off buying a new one?

P.S. the old fork is brand new, but not as could as my new one.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DomN86 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Yeah the star nut is in my old fork, my new fork didn’t come with a star nut; is that right?

Plus I don’t think it will be a good idea to hammer out the star nut in my old fork, as it will surely ruin its integrity, and for 99p for a star nut, surely I will be better off buying a new one?

Ahhh so it is a new fork. Why did you not say so? It could have been for a new build or.....

New Star nut.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DomN86
    nicklouse wrote:
    DomN86 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Ahhh so it is a new fork. Why did you not say so? It could have been for a new build or.....

New Star nut.

:lol: Yep, sorry for not mentioning that :oops:.

---

I'm also thinking about getting a new stem and handlebars, so I might be better of getting an ‘expander’ as I don’t fancy purchasing a stem and handlebars at the moment, rather wait until I have extra money in a few weeks.

Just wondering how the ‘expander’ holds up? Do they hold as good or better? Do they brake easy?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A new stem etc makes no difference. Once the starnut is in, it's in. You don't need to take it out to change things unless you cut the steerer down, in which case you can just knock it in a bit further.
    Starnuts work perfectly and are really cheap. Expanders are a pain in the ar5e. Only used one in a carbon steerer, but it was annoying. They don't work any better. Just more faff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DomN86
    cooldad wrote:
    A new stem etc makes no difference. Once the starnut is in, it's in. You don't need to take it out to change things unless you cut the steerer down, in which case you can just knock it in a bit further.
    Starnuts work perfectly and are really cheap. Expanders are a pain in the ar5e. Only used one in a carbon steerer, but it was annoying. They don't work any better. Just more faff.

Good point, my head not working at the moment.
  • delcol
    thats what i was thinking...

in my experience the head doc was total crap. (the iedea is clever) but in reality they just not as good as a star nut.
    mine kept coming loose constant play in the headset. remove topcap and retighten the bolt inside then put the topcap on and nip up, was a pain sometime everyride or everyother ride..

i never had to do that on a star nut..
  • DomN86
    ok thanks for all the reply's, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41053, that will do.
  • DomN86
    delcol wrote:
    thats what i was thinking...

in my experience the head doc was total crap. (the iedea is clever) but in reality they just not as good as a star nut.
    mine kept coming loose constant play in the headset. remove topcap and retighten the bolt inside then put the topcap on and nip up, was a pain sometime everyride or everyother ride..

i never had to do that on a star nut..

yeah that was my concern with the 'expander'.
  • delcol
    like mentioned above starnuts are cheaper and less hassle..

i'm sure someone will ealong to sing expanders praises ect.. but in my eyes why spend more than you have to on an inferior product.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Expander= cost more, weigh more, do same job

Just suppose an expander worked loose, as the bearing compression is maintained by the stem bolts that would have no effect, in fact once the stem bolts are done up, you can take the top cap off and throw it away if you feel like it - so that bit is bunkum.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    After Sunday I have replaced my Hope expander with the simple starnut, make sure you get the starnut seated correctly i.e straight.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Expander= cost more, weigh more, do same job

Just suppose an expander worked loose, as the bearing compression is maintained by the stem bolts that would have no effect, in fact once the stem bolts are done up, you can take the top cap off and throw it away if you feel like it - so that bit is bunkum.

Simon

Expanders are used for carbon steerers these days anyway, so they have their uses.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply they had no use, just only a relevant use!

My Onza forks use neither but come with a neat cap that screws into the top of the internally threaded steerer...now that IS a good idea!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • delcol
    when i had the head doc on my pace frame, i could feel when it came loose, could feel it.. (like a knocking) it always turned out to be the head doc in the sterrer tube.. i would tighten it back up refit and tighten the topcap redo the stem bolts and it would be fine again.. untill the next time.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I've been running head doctors for 5 years, they came with hope headsets. I've not had a single problem with them, when using them for XC use.

I always throught that the top bolt was only used to put your forks, headset, stem under compression before you tighten the stem bolts. Then in theory you could take your top cap off (you wouldn't as it would make a nice hole if you fell off).
  • delcol
    tofu21 wrote:
    I've been running head doctors for 5 years, they came with hope headsets. I've not had a single problem with them, when using them for XC use.

I always throught that the top bolt was only used to put your forks, headset, stem under compression before you tighten the stem bolts. Then in theory you could take your top cap off (you wouldn't as it would make a nice hole if you fell off).

why dont you try this then on your next ride to see if it's true... :P :mrgreen:

as i said with the head doc i could always feel when it came loose even with the stem bolts still being tight.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Why not use an external expander instead? Like the ones made by Exotic (CarbonCycles).

CC-PA35.gif

No need to loosen the stem at all with these and can be adjusted in just a few seconds by your hands (not tools required).