Forme Reflex

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Just thought I'd share some quick snaps of my new bike, these are fresh from picking it up from the shop so please excuse the poor photos.

I'll put some better pics up later as no doubt upgrades will appear.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• andy46
    I tried re sizing the pics but it hasn't worked, can anyone help with this?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    Thank you to whoever re sized my photo's.

I've just got back from my first outing on my bike, what a difference from my old Trek 1.1!

It seems easier to ride up hills, the shifting is nice and smooth although it took a while to get used to as I kept going for thumb shifters. I also noticed a difference going from 8 speed to 10 speed, there is now a more even spread of gears so not as much need to keep shifting on the front rings.

It also seems to have a more racy position but this may also be down to it fitting me better as some of you may remember my Trek was a bit small.

First upgrade will be the wheels then maybe a carbon seatpost. Any suggestions?

One other thing that people may be able to advise, or put my mind to rest. The roads around here aren't great with some decent sized potholes and uneven surface. Is this a problem now I have a carbon bike? Should I be more careful with it? I'm not a heavy rider I weigh just under 10 stone.

Thanks for any comments, more photo's to follow.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Nice looking bike.

I would avoid potholes as you should on any bike as they are uncomfortable to ride over, can cause damage to rims and potentially cause a fall which results in more bike damage invariably. Carbon bikes will withstand plenty of jarring and knocks as they are strong frames but don't tempt fate is my advice. Uneven road surface is not a problem other than its not comfortable to ride on.

Enjoy :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • andy46
    Thanks, I like it!

I'll be riding to work a lot more now and I've mentioned my commute on here before. On the way to work the cycle track goes slightly off road.
    The surface isn't as bad as some of the roads tbh, but is uneven and made out of a very fine dirt/gravel mix (a bit like a canal path) This goes on for less than a quarter of a mile, and my old Trek 1.1 was fine with this. But that bike had an alloy frame and fork where this one is full carbon.

Will my new bike be up to this, or should I find a new route?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Should be fine if the track is smooth enough - I wouldnt want to ride on road tyres over gnarly tree roots and pebble/small rocks but if your Trek managed it then don't see why the Forme wouldn't either. If you look at the Pro races on Pave (cobbles) such as the Paris/Roubaix they ride at high speed over very bumpy ground and the bikes take all that power and hammering.

Just get out and enjoy the bike and as long as you are sensible and don't try and treat the road bike like an mtb then you won't have any problems.

The biggest issue with rough terrain is your wheels - cyclocross events over heavy ground and tracks including woodland type stuff are all done on what are essentially road bike type frames - its the clearance, wheels and tyres that are predominantly the difference between a cyclocross bike and road bike - carbon framed cyclocross bikes are essentially little different in strength to their road equivalent.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • andy46
    Thanks, there's nothing like tree roots or anything too bumpy. Like I said it's not as bad as some of the roads around here.
    I just need to get my head round the fact that carbon is quite strong and I won't break it!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    Well I'm loving my new bike, here's a pic taken just after giving it a quick clean

001-1.jpg

and I just picked up this new seat post today, it's very light. I'll fit it at the weekend when I get some carbon paste.

005.jpg

Next upgrade will be wheels and tyres. I've seen a set of Pro Lites, I'm just unsure about tyres. I was thinking of maybe getting some coloured ones... blue or maybe white. I'll see nearer the time.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Looks nice, but how about some proper shoes and pedals?
  • Nice bike from Forme - based in Derby!
    +1 on the pedals/shoes, I would do this before anything else as it can transform your cycling experience.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • andy46
    I have limited movement in my left ankle and find it hard to twist my foot outwards to unclip. I can do it on the turbo, but its a bit hit and miss when out on the road (I think its always in the back of my mind)

Its a problem I've had since birth along with poor balance although balance has got better with age.

I'm just happy being out on my bike, as I missed out on it as a kid.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• find it hard to twist out with just your left foot? or both? why dont you unclip with your right foot?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • andy46
    My left foot, this coupled with not quite as good balance as I'd like (though this is improving the more I ride) I just can't get on with them.

If I change feet this doesn't feel natural.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• find it hard to twist out with just your left foot? or both? why dont you unclip with your right foot?
    I always unclip on the left side first, doing it on the right side gets you leaning out into the road and having a 'clipless moment' will get you falling into the road not onto the pavement. Just a personal preference.
  • andy46
    Got my new seat post fitted today, I weighed them both at work and the new one weighs around 40grams less so not a lot but it all helps I suppose. Just need this frost and ice to disappear so I can get out on it to see if it feels different, road vibration etc.

I was also quite surprised at just how tight 5Nm actually is, it's a quite a bit tighter than I had it done up to previously.

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

Wheels and tyres are my next big upgrade other than that just some little touches, what are peoples thoughts on changing the seat post clamp for maybe a Hope item?
    Also may change bars and stem, though I quite like them white. The Ritchey wet white does look a better finish though.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Nice looking bike. I like the carbon seat post too, which pro lite wheels are you looking at?
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway
  • andy46
    Thanks! I really can't remember which model the wheels are. They're in my local bike shop, I'll be going back soon so I'll ask him. They cost £350 for the set if that gives you any help with the model name.

I was really impressed with how well they spin, they seem to go on forever where my wheels slow down a lot quicker. The bearings in the hubs must be good quality.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not neccessarily; the seals in your wheels may be better, or you may have more / thicker grease in the bearings.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nice bike.

Just getting back to pedals. How about fitting some SPDs and using multi-release cleats? You can pull up to unclip with these, no twisting required. They are - strictly speaking - like a "beginners'" cleat, but they may provide the solution to your little problem.

If they work out and you get into riding clipless, I guarantee you'll never look back.

Good luck!

EDIT: also let us know what the wheels are before shelling out the £350 on them.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • andy46
    Thanks, I've not heard about multi release cleats. Do you have a link to some of these pedals?

If you can unclip by pulling up, will that not make them just like riding with flats? I thought the whole point with clipless pedals is that you can pull up with them, or doesn't everyone do this? I'll definitely be interested in them though they sound promising.

I'll be going to my lbs next week as the bike is getting a free check to reset the gears etc, so I'll ask about the wheels and get back to you.

I really appreciate all the comments, help and advice. Thank you.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• keef66
    I've got the multi release SPD cleats. Laziness really; they came with some pedals I got for my old MTB, and when I specced SPD pedals on the road bike I couldn't be bothered to swap them off my shoes. And on a road bike the cleats last forever, so I'm still using them.

Anyway, you can adjust the tension so you don't inadvertently clip out when pulling up
  • andy46
    Its certainly something for me to think about, I didn't even know about them.

Would I be better off getting some proper road pedals? Its just I have some Shimano M505 pedals in the shed, these came with my Scott Spark and I just didn't get on with them.

I know road pedals are one sided, what are they like to get into? Are they the right way up or do you need to spin them round?
    I like the look of the 105 pedals.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I use "proper road pedals" (Look KEO) so I'm not the best to advise on where to source the multi-realease cleats and which SPD pedals they're compatible with. All SPD pedals I guess, but I am not 100% certain.

I prefer "proper road pedals" (Look KEO or Shimano SPD-L are examples) to SPDs, so my bias would suggest you would be better off with them. HOWEVER, plenty of folk on here will tell me I am incorrect and they might be right... AND, multi-release cleats are only available in the SPD range.

A well-maintained road pedal will hang at five-past-seven so that you can catch the front with your toe and rotate forward for the clip-in at the back of the forefoot.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • andy46
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Nice bike.

Just getting back to pedals. How about fitting some SPDs and using multi-release cleats? You can pull up to unclip with these, no twisting required. They are - strictly speaking - like a "beginners'" cleat, but they may provide the solution to your little problem.

If they work out and you get into riding clipless, I guarantee you'll never look back.

Good luck!

EDIT: also let us know what the wheels are before shelling out the £350 on them.

Just had the bike to the shop for it's free check and to get the gears re adjusted. All running smoothly again.

The Pro Lite wheels I'm looking at are the Bracciano wheelset. I'll be honest, I know nothing about wheels so if people would like to give their opinions on them or on any wheels that cost no more than £350 that I should look at I would really appreciate it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    andy46 wrote:
    Thanks, I've not heard about multi release cleats. Do you have a link to some of these pedals?

If you can unclip by pulling up, will that not make them just like riding with flats? I thought the whole point with clipless pedals is that you can pull up with them, or doesn't everyone do this? I'll definitely be interested in them though they sound promising.

I'll be going to my lbs next week as the bike is getting a free check to reset the gears etc, so I'll ask about the wheels and get back to you.

I really appreciate all the comments, help and advice. Thank you.

It isn't the pedals that are multirelease - just the cleats. You use a normal MTB pedal (eg the M520 which you can probably get for £15 or so on Ebay without cleats, £20 with which is much better value) and then fork out another £18 or so (irrc) for Shimano multi release cleats.

The whole point of cleats is not the pulling up but that it keeps your feet nicely anchored in the optimum position. There is a line of thought that any up pulling on the pedals is a bad idea as it affects the effectiveness of the push on the opposite pedal. I only tend to pull on tough climbs when I've run out of gears.

FWIW - I use Look Keos and Shimano SPD pedals. I'd say for 90% of us, the SPD pedals are probably the more sensible choice. Easier to clip in and out (really no harder than using flats once you are used to them), double sided, all metal inc cleats so more durable than the road pedals. On the downside they don't look as good as Keos! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy46
    001-3.jpg

New Mavic Ksyrium Elite's purchased today, can't wait to get them on the bike. I may have to wait till the end of the month for pay day so I can get some nice tyres as I'm not too keen on putting my heavy slow Bontrager Sports on them.

Must... resist... fitting old tyres to new wheels :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• keef66
    Lovely! And yes, they deserve new tyres.
  • andy46
    New tyres and tubes came today so I've finally got my new wheels on, just need this rain to go away now as I don't fancy the new tyres on wet roads for the first ride!

003-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

Not sure if the blue is too much, but they'll be staying till they're worn out :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Looks cool but I'm afraid the tyures have to come off straightawy for re-fiting - Rule 40 you see.....

Looking very cool though - be uber cool once you've sorted the tyres.
  • andy46
    Ah, I thought it'd be better off lined up with the writing on the wheel (top picture) I should of double checked The Rules. :lol:

The hub makes a great noise :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    Just had the first ride out tonight on the new wheels... WOW!

The bike has transformed, it feels a lot sharper and a fair bit easier going uphill so I'm very happy with them :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL