TDU stage 3 *Spoiler*

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited January 2012 in Pro race
1. Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto Belisol
2. Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) FDJ-BigMat
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky

Greipel by half a wheel, puts him back in the ochre jersey.
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cleaning up. Huta still a great one.

Getty
    f930a02b02edde73d72302d4784ba3e5-getty-508278227.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm getting worried about Cavendish to be honest...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Was there another comedy lead out effort from Sky again?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    Was there another comedy lead out effort from Sky again?

Less the leadouts (which have been pretty dire) more the fact that Greipel looks like an absolute machine.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

With good cause, because the last time Greipel won loads of stages in the TdU he really put Cavendish to the sword when the real season began.

Oh....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:

With good cause, because the last time Greipel won loads of stages in the TdU he really put Cavendish to the sword when the real season began.

Oh....

Yeah i see your point...however Greipel is looking rather 'Large' and the SKY train seem like a far cry from that of HTC so far
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Same old same old.

C'mon we've had this the past few seasons. All the doubts at the start of the season. I mean Cav hasn't even hasn't turned a pedal in anger and your worried?

We'll see in September who's had the better season.

I know my money will by on the manx man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    The sky train is ALWAYS comedy.

Doesn't stop them winning the odd half-classic with it.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
  • yep, if Greipel can beat Hutarovich by half a wheel, Cav is presumably quaking in his boots.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097

Jesus wept.

The cyclocross season is still in full swing, ffs.
  • LeicesterLad
    haha, i think thats me on the back foot then...

well we will see in a few months...that sky train not really working for EBH though...
  • I wouldn't be worried about the Sky train just yet. EBH is crap at following a lead out and usually bolts to early. Once Eisel and Cav are there to police the train it will be running much smoother.

Greipel is looking on good form though
  • ddraver
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Once Eisel and Cav are there to police the train it will be running much smoother.

Hmm, I'm hoping they ll come in and lay the smack down on them in may/june to sort it out. Still it does make it more exciting...
    - @ddraver
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Griepel is looking mega, but it's only January, so he's peaking just in time to lose form for the start of the European campaign?...

498973292.jpg?Expires=1326972122&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=As8BgPWlczSiWR93ozD-Oh9XM62Sf4mxJq2se01bpIQegBW~UaKyNmZmmvFeBP3oJvW2xPb4hUeZT~Qj3WSNvz356yG2SN68XYU33ut88HHdEEtfBq-XRFoUJrMT8-JGCi2orYRHi9xYp-kJ2ALg7ODYQBH~aTU7xueHguGsA5c_
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Greipel is looking on good form though

Yep, he's always been good in the sh1t small races (tm)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Why? Greipel isn't going to be able to sustain that form up to and during the Tour. Also, Cav is lean as a lean thing, so presuming he's lost no muscle mass, then he'll create less drag, his PWR will be higher so he'll be faster than last season.

I am not concerned about Cav at all.
  • TMR
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    I wouldn't be worried about the Sky train just yet. EBH is crap at following a lead out and usually bolts to early. Once Eisel and Cav are there to police the train it will be running much smoother.

He's also not a sprinter IMHO. I place him more in the Gilbert category. He should do well in the Classics when he's older.
  • TMR
    andyp wrote:
    Jesus wept.

The cyclocross season is still in full swing, ffs.

We had the same comments at the start of last season and look what happened! ;)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I reckon Cav is really going to hammer it for Ghent Wevelgem this year.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    That wasn't a Sky leadout train, it was a loose assembly of guys wearing the same kit.

Greipel looked impressive when he put the power down but I don't think Cav will be quaking in his boots. If Sky are still a bit random come the Classics he's quite capable of hopping wheels of other teams to great effect....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    There wasn't a lot wrong with the train, just EBH isn't quite as good a bunch finisher as Greipel (or Cav). Add to that Cav has proven he doesn't need a train to win, when he is riding in a train he gives them instruction and helps keep it in order and is that even a first choice Sky lead out train out there? I doubt he's too worried - make some other teams work in the last 30km for a change.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    its good to see a team without the best sprinter making an effort instead of everyone freewheeling behind someone else. this is far from their best team too, and it's only january.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Not sure how we can judge a season by first week. Sky always put a half decent train together last year and I don't really think the TdF train is at TdU. They have a fair old team of TTers, Team Pursuiters and sprinters they can mix and match to put a decent train together. You can bet Eisel and Siutsou will be in there and I would guess thomas or swift, maybe apollonio, would be in the last few spots for lead out.

I am guessing races dominated by sprints may have 8 guys for a train but come TdF you gotta be thinking sky will be split down the middle say 5/4 sprint to gc duties.

Anyways looking forward to seeing more of some of the other teams too soon. BMC, Rabo, Garmin, Nissan, OP Quickstep, Garmin. Super happy the season is back just need to catch more of the TdU
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Come on, it's traditional to write Cav off before the season has really started.

As for his lead out train I don't really see them being needed for MSR or Ghent Wevelgen, he'll be pretty much on his own in the finale. By the tour I'm sure they'll have had a bit of practise.
  • ddraver
    Not sure how we can judge a season by first week. Sky always put a half decent train together last year

First, I must say I am a Team Sky Fan but where we watching the same races last year? Most of them were so shambolic as to be...well...comedy. The best is when Gerraint Thomas dissapears off the front of the peloton for 10 seconds then looks around with a dopey look on his face wondering where everyone else has gone. That or they'd be on the front with their sprinter in 100th place or something with all the other sprinter teams behind looking bemused as they waited for the inevitable moment when it all fell apart.

Thank god for Garmin as they at least provided an alternative comedy lead out for a bit of balance...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tdu12st03-contrast.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ^Australians should do more cycling coverage, it's so much more fun!
    - @ddraver