Can this be done? Durace / Ultegra SL Combo

Cafu
Cafu Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi All

I have a specialized tarmac pro, circa 2008/9( currently with a compact chainset with ten gear rear back block)

I am looking to change to a triple.

Noticed a great deal(on bike radar weekly deals) for purchasing a Shimano Ultegra SL triple crankset( ice grey finish) set me thinking

I know i will need a long cage Ultegra SL (would a medium do?) and a ultegra SL band on/ clamp style front mech Triple

Can i run the aforementioned Ultegra SL triple set up / be compatable with a duraace flight deck brakes and shifters which are currently in situ?

Also does any one know how i measure the correct size of front mech (never done this before and i am a bit confused.

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I only know about 105 stuff where for some models the LH shifter can be set up to operate as double or triple. If yours isn't like that I imagine you'd need a new shifter. Or shifters if you want a matching pair. Not sure Dura-Ace has ever been available as a triple, so you may be shopping for Ultegra shifters too. I'm rambling a bit now....

No doubt if you can peel back the hood on your LH shifter and post the model number here, somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly to advise you.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Cafu wrote:
    Hi All

I have a specialized tarmac pro, circa 2008/9( currently with a compact chainset with ten gear rear back block)
    I am looking to change to a triple.
    Noticed a great deal(on bike radar weekly deals) for purchasing a Shimano Ultegra SL triple crankset( ice grey finish) set me thinking
    I know i will need a long cage Ultegra SL (would a medium do?) and a ultegra SL band on/ clamp style front mech Triple
    Can i run the aforementioned Ultegra SL triple set up / be compatable with a duraace flight deck brakes and shifters which are currently in situ?
    Also does any one know how i measure the correct size of front mech (never done this before and i am a bit confused.
    Thanks
    The main problem is your Dura-Ace LH shifter will not work a triple so would need changing at great cost.
    You would need a GS (long cage) rear mech rather than the SS (short) you have now. There are only SS and GS in Shimano road mechs.
    You can measure the tube diameter with callipers or a vernier gauge. The size is probably on the inside of the clamp on your present mech.
    A triple does not give a much wider range of gears than you have now unless you fit a non standard granny ring. you can go to 26. assuming you use the same cassette you only gain one lower gear (and one higher if you go to a 53 ring). I would only make the change if you find you are shifting between the compact rings a lot and would prefer to stay on a middle one. Personally,while a compact is not perfect, I can live with it.
  • Cafu
    Cafu Posts: 3
    Thanks guys