Stiff front mech

knack-knees
knack-knees Posts: 56
edited January 2012 in Workshop
For the last 3 rides I've had a stiff front mech. It'll shift small to large but not back down - what I've doing it oiling and lubing, repeat, repeat but it's stiff!

The only way to get it going is to spend 10 mins physically moving the mech forwards and backwards, over and over.

Is there a way to fix this or should I assign it to the bin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take it off, dunk it in degreaser and get stuck in with an old toothbrush. Also check the cable, particularly under the bottom bracket
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    If you disconnect the cable is it still stiff ?
    Like MD says its probably gunked up and needs a good lube and clean.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's still stiff once the cable's removed, best to bite the bullet and replace the thing. They are mechanically simple things and relatively cheap.
    I've wasted hours of my life and gallons of solvents and lubes faffing with sticky front mechs, and never brought one back to life for long.

Couple of mouse clicks on CRC and you could be down the pub in 5 mins.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Could be a bent cage?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have fixed them by running WD40 into the moving parts to release the contaminants, moving the unit through it's full range several times, then running some heavier lubricant (e.g. engine oil) into the part. I'd steer away from heavy duty solvents, they can cause the plastic bushes to swell up and bind.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks fellas - i'll take it off and check it more and get back to you.