Fulcrum RRS Chainring removal

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Anyone done this? I was looking at mine (Fulcrum RRS is effectively a Super Record chainset with a slightly different arm moulding shape) and of the 5 bolts the one that goes into the BACK of the crank arm has a raised piece in it that would stop a torx bit getting in there, its sitting there flush with where the torx bit would wanna start pushing into the sit in the bolt to undo it. This piece at first I thought was a mismolding, but it cant be, or noone would ever have got the bolt in in the first place! Is there a special tool to get this last bolt out?

The piece of carbon in obstructing a regular torx bit sort of looks like the outline of an London Underground station logo.

Does this mean anything to anyone? Ever done it?

Surely there's a special tool!! (if not I'll have to drill that piece out or see if it snaps off!!! :O )

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Hello mate,

It's a hollow torx key you need - either that or some careful Dremmeling!

Thes kiddies http://www.kozy-homes.co.uk/products/10 ... s=googleps should do the job. Probably going to get myself a set as I have a Fulcrum RRS C/Set too and quite fancy swapping the chain ring bolts for some sexy titanium ones I have :)
  • mfin
    Thanks. I must admit when looking I thought a torx bit that was hollow might work if it existed, but then I sort of thought it wouldnt because the stand-up piece of the carbon at its widest means there's no room unless the wall of the bit is very very thin, I couldnt see how it would be.

Anyway, they're cheap obviously, so I'll just go get some. Have a local place that might have a set I can walk in and get, otherwise I'll just order some online.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Am still wishing Id bought more of these cranks as I only paid £190 and now there's none about :( ...at least not at that kind of price.
  • mfin
    1111.jpg

I know its a bad photo (used phone)... but the edge of the bit standing up in the hole is so close to the side its daft, like less than 1mm easily (see photo, and bear in mind its probably at 27ish size torx), I cant see how a torx bit could be made like that now... Ive seen a few online but they seem to have a circular hole drilled in the end, dont think they'll work.

Im wondering if Fulcrum use a bit with VERY thin walls, where rather than a simple hole drilled out of the end of the bit the hole in the bit is the same shape as the torx bit, so the walls of the bit are really thin.

I suppose its work buying some, but I cant see how it'll work at the moment!