New riders journey....

LFXrider
LFXrider Posts: 24
edited January 2012 in Your pics and vids
Hey all,

Been MTB'ing for about 3 months so still very green. Wanted to produce a film to document our progress. Got some footage a couple of weeks ago before I busted my back so put a small trailer together. Not very interesting riding wise but here's hoping we'll get better along the way!!

All the best,

Dan

http://vimeo.com/35084704

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    very good matey. like to see more.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice little video, around 1:14 one of you goes past some roots noticed you have your brakes set in board but no finger covering the brake, personal choice but worth trying to get used to.

Keep them coming..
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Nice little video, around 1:14 one of you goes past some roots noticed you have your brakes set in board but no finger covering the brake, personal choice but worth trying to get used to.

Keep them coming..

Thanks for the comments.

1:14 I think that's where my brother jumps off a very small drop. Not sure what "set in board" means, if you could explain that would be great.

Lots more on it's way this year. Also filming some much better riders doing tricks which should make for a pretty exciting video.

All the best,

Dan
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    Love the slo-mo on the video, look foward to seeing the good and the bad. As this will put into perspective how things are achieved. Good you have someone else to practice with.

(Ref: The inboard, do you mean even on small jumps your finger should always be primed? just in case)
  • 1mancity2
    "In board" relates to the brake lever set away from the grip to allow one finger braking, I cover the brakes always, so one finger is hovering on the lever, weird at first but gets really comfy after a few rides and that split second it saves you taking your finger off the bars to apply the brake can be a god send.

Try rolling off kerbs with your finger covering the brakes to get used to it.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    that video was good, can tell alot of effort and time gone into that...

what camera/s are you using to film on.? and also what is it edited on?...

you say you are a new rider have you considered doing a skills day with a coach? well worth the money...
  • Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. Timewise it was half a day filming and about 6 hours editing.

Equipment I use are:

Canon 600D with 3 different lenses: 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm L lens (the biggie).
    Manfrotto Video tripod with fluid head
    Hague Cam-slider

All edited using Sony Vegas.

Thanks for the explanation of inboard, will practice that some more.

Delcol, yes definately going to do a skills course. Looking at ukbikeskills in Feb for some xc and jumps/drops training.

Like I said, lots more to come this year! :)

Cheers,

Dan
  • delcol
    can tell it was filmed with quality equipment.

i want a slider/glidetrack but cant afford one just yet. as soon as i can find a job though it will be one of the first things on my list..

good to see someone doing video from a 3rd person perspective, insteadof helmet cam pov all the time.

pov is good on the right terrein or in short segments,
    i have a 7d and a canon efs 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 usm a sigma 17-50mm 2.8 ex dc os hsm and a canon ef 70-200mm 2.8 l is usm. also have a kit lens that came with the 7d i dont use it anymore.
    i use finalcut for my editing these days..
    this was shot on the 7d took 2 days to film and coulntless hours to edit.(guessing around 15 hours)
    i kinda let it down a bit at the end i had lost the will to carry on editing it after so many hours..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97bOGFn ... ature=plcp

this was done on sony vegas.
    again 2 days to film and quite a few hours to edit..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPJH4tf ... ature=plcp

as for the skill course you will be suprised how much your confidence will grow not to mention your skills.
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:
    as for the skill course you will be suprised how much your confidence will grow not to mention your skills.

Best advice, better than any upgrade of fancy bling!!!!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    beautifully filmed... A pleasure to watch.
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Thanks guys,

Lovely vids delcol. What I would give to be able to ride Whistler! Nice shots and great colour!

Dan
  • Here's my first two bike vids from last year literally after getting my bike. Again, no fancy riding at all! :lol: I didn't even own a tripod at this point, I just used treestumps! :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsLwPPOZNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSAntHeOXs
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Very Nice indeed .

Did the dog get squashed at 1.23?
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Richie63 wrote:
    Very Nice indeed .

Did the dog get squashed at 1.23?

Been figuring out a way to use this footage, so perfect timing! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHrKzL1k8I
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    LFXrider - that's a great video. Really well shot and edited.

I look forward to seeing more in the future. 8)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • delcol
    LFXrider wrote:
    Thanks guys,

Lovely vids delcol. What I would give to be able to ride Whistler! Nice shots and great colour!

Dan

makes all those hours we put into filming it and lugging all that equipment up the bloody mountain worth it.

whistler is a awesome place,, so so so so so hope i get to go back this year it's become a anual pilgrimage well for the last 4 years,, just wish i could find a job then i could book to go back. and buy the things i want...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    LFXrider wrote:
    Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. Timewise it was half a day filming and about 6 hours editing.

Equipment I use are:

Canon 600D with 3 different lenses: 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm L lens (the biggie).
    Manfrotto Video tripod with fluid head
    Hague Cam-slider

All edited using Sony Vegas.

Thanks for the explanation of inboard, will practice that some more.

Delcol, yes definitely going to do a skills course. Looking at ukbikeskills in Feb for some xc and jumps/drops training.

Cheers,

Dan

The quality is awesome, I got a 600D, not tested it out on movie making yet and after seeing that looking forward too it!
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    LFXrider wrote:
    yes definitely going to do a skills course. Looking at ukbikeskills in Feb for some xc and jumps/drops training.

Cheers,

Dan

see you soon then :)
  • Jedi wrote:
    see you soon then :)

Yes indeedy! :D
  • delcol
    you lucky man, wish i could get some jedi coaching....

why he have to be down bloody south :cry::cry::cry:

Briggo, it's a pain in th earse packing it all in and carrying it around with you especially in mountain terrein,.. then theres the time setting up, and the ride and film the section then repeat another 100 times pluss..

but the results are worth it.. i look forward to seeing Briggos edit shortly.... :wink:
  • Just as delcol says, it can be a royal pain in the rear. I actually busted my back doing the last video carrying the tripod and slider. 2 weeks later it's only just getting better. Still, worth it for the end result!! :D

Also looking at getting a quadrocopter and getting some aerial footage at some point, could make for interesting shots.

Dan
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:

We have "The Beard"

Although I would like to be a Jedi (or a Sith Lord :twisted: )
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    delcol wrote:

We have "The Beard"

Although I would like to be a Jedi (or a Sith Lord :twisted: )

Defo Sith Lord, you get two red sabres then. Sith always looked badass! :P
  • delcol
    that would be cool the copter would almost look like a cable cam smooth..

i was saying to our kid the other day wonder how it would turn out,, if i mount one of the pov cameras (vio pov hd or contours) to one my rc cars and filmed it as a chase cam and having the camera reverse pointing at the rider.
    there's some single track i reckon you would get away with using the rc offroad buggy @leequarry.. just dont fancy luggin all that extra equipment up there though..

i feel ya pain with the bad back (hurt mine the other week getting out the car after a day at leequarry..)

remember filming kill me thril me (in whistler) fu[k that was tough. lug all the equipment out cameras lenses tripod (camera and lenses in peli cases) it's a 10km cycle out of the village just to hit the trail head then the trail is 7km (but heads out towards pemberton) then you have around a 15k cycle back to whislter village.. with all that camera stuff in your back pack. plus enough fluid to keep you going and some food spare tubes tools a few extra layers made for an epic day.. i was knackard after that...

Ali.
    how good is beard mr oxley
    from a few videos i seen i not impressed with him... now i cant pass judgemnt or comment as i have no personal experience of him so that would be unfair..
    but jedi from what i have seen is an amazing rider and his teaching methods seem good... again i have no experience of jedi, it's just my opinion i have formed from what i have seen on videos on the web..
    i guess i'm compairing to the coaching i had in whistler over the years (and it's not really fair to do that as it's hard to get a fair comparison.)
  • 1mancity2
    It depends what your looking for, Ed is really good at showing you how to maintain flow, doing the advance jumps course on 11th &12th Feb with Nigel Page so will have a better idea on that sort of thing then but, when we did the flow course and not being big headed here, I was faster and more lets say comfortable with drops and jumps.

He spotted that straight off and geared things for me, by the end of the weekend I was doing drops at speed and I mean speed, clearing tabletops at vastly improved speed and technique.

Just felt a lot more fluid after his sessions, make any sense?

He is unbelivable quick and the flow he shows is mind boggling.
  • delcol
    cool.

pagey is an amazing rider i seen him he flys and so fucking smooth.. would love to do some coaching with a rider of his level...