Trek Madone 3.1c

KentPuncheur
KentPuncheur Posts: 246
edited January 2012 in Your road bikes
I purchased my first carbon road bike and the end of last year, a Trek Madone 3.1c:

madone1.jpg

Madone4.jpg

Madone2.jpg

Madone3.jpg

Frame: New TCT frame; BB86.5; SpeedTrap compatible race fork 3 Series TCT Carbon
Forks: Bontrager Race, carbon legs, SpeedTrap compatible
Bars: Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset: 1-1/8" integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Bar Tape: Bontrager cork tape

Front Brake Lever: Tektro R540
Rear Brake Lever: Tektro R540

Shifters: Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Front Mech: Shimano 105
Rear Mech: Shimano 105

Seat: Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seat Post: Bontrager Carbon, 20mm offset

Cranks: SRAM Apex , 50/34
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-28, 10 speed
Pedals: Shimano Clipless Spd-SL R540 (105) Pedals
Bottom Bracket: SRAM press fit BB86.5

Front Wheel: Fulcrum Racing 5
Tire: Schwalbe Durano (red stripe)

Back Wheel: Fulcrum Racing 5
Tire: Schwalbe Durano (red stripe)

I got the bike for £1,350 (with a £250 sale discount) and upgraded the factory wheelset to Fulcrum 5s at purchase and have since put a set of Schwalbe Durano tyres on. I opted for the Trek as for my budget it seemed very well spec'd compared to the competition and as I'm a tall lanky rider (6foot3 - just under 13 stone) the frame fitted me better. At 60cm though, the bike is not the lightest, but at that size frame even the lightest carbon frame will still come up a bit heavier.

I've done c1,500km on it and it runs well. Ride is nice and comfortable, do not feel too cramped or stiff in my upper body after a day in the saddle, and my performance in sportives and on club runs has improved, notably my climbing and sprinting.

I really like the design, and whilst the red bar tape and red stipped tyres won't be to everyone's taste, I quite like it!

Would like some advice from you all on upgrading components. I know that the seatpost and bars could do with a carbon upgrade (which will no doubt improve the ride), but what would you suggest at a mid-market price point? Say no more than £250-300 for the bars and no more than £150 for the seatpost?
2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    3T Team for bars, post and stem. Replace the Duranos with Continental GP4000S.
  • 3T Team for bars, post and stem. Replace the Duranos with Continental GP4000S.

Like the look of the 3T Team components. Affordable price of Wiggle and their reviews are excellent, do you have them yourself? Also, rather vainly, the colours match the frame colour scheme...perfect match! Now to wait for payday...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Nice bell
  • Nice bell

Pedestrians on our country lanes don't seem to respond well to shouts!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Nice bell

Pedestrians on our country lanes don't seem to respond well to shouts!
    i find that too. i put it upside down under the bar its less visible there. you can get black ones.
  • I have one of these as well, Very comfy for long distance, I'd save a little more and get some wheels, Either climbing or aero specific, Whichever you need most.
    Then I'd maybe go for a lighter finishing kit, Lots of light bontrager stuff can be bought at a great price, Plenty of it is usually on ebay.

I'd maybe be tempted by a carbon integrated bar and stem.

having ridden the bike though I would say wheels should come first without a doubt.
  • Doh! You have changed the wheels... I'd still save more and upgrade from the fulcrum 5's.