32-11T or 34-11 cassette? what's the difference?

silly lily
silly lily Posts: 505
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi!
Trying to decide which to get --- I don't think I've ever ridden the smaller 11-32 on a mTB? What would be the difference, really?
My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the big cog. IE a lower granny ratio.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • silly lily
    the 11-34, that is?

www.sophialibris.com
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    the 11 means the number of teeth on the smallest sprocket and the 34, the number of teeth on the largest.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I think you will find that with most 9 speed mountain bikes the 11-32 cassette comes as standard. If you are keeping to a triple ring up front (3x9) or even a double (2x9) then i dont think its really worth going for an 11-34 cassette. But, if your want to have just a single chain ring up front (1x9) then it will be worth going for the 11-34. The 11-34 gives you 2 extra teeth on the larger ring meaning that it will be slightly easier to spin up a steep hill than i 32 tooth. Its not a big difference but on hard long climbs it can help.

I run a 1x9 set up for most stuff with a 32T chain ring on front and 11-34 cassette on rear.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I would say there's no reason not to get the 34 myself. It weighs a couple of grams more, and the gaps between gears are very slightly bigger, but it just means you have a wider range and will shift less on the front. No brainer for my money.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    njee20 wrote:
    I would say there's no reason not to get the 34 myself. It weighs a couple of grams more, and the gaps between gears are very slightly bigger, but it just means you have a wider range and will shift less on the front. No brainer for my money.
    I'm with^^^
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Theres a little sharp slippery climb out of a stream we do regulary you cant get a run up to it and you cant stand up and attack it you just have to sit down get your weight in the right place and keep pedalling. I used to clear it about 1 in 3 times on a standard 11/32 cassette. Bought an 11/34 simply because it was the cheapest deal at the time now I reckon I can clear the climb about 2 in 3 times. That slightly lower ratio just lets me grunt it up the last couple of yards.

The 34 cog doesnt get used much but its nice to have as an emergency gear.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Agree with all the above... I run 40/27 on the front which is fine with a 32t rear for racing and trail centres but, on my local Dark Peak trails, having the bail out of a 34t does make a difference.
  • silly lily
    Thank guys - 34 it is!

www.sophialibris.com
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I'm just about to order a new cassette tonight and reading this to see what the difference is between the 32 and 34T.

My bike has a 11-32T and three rings up front. All my riding is in the muddy Berkshire downs hills and I find I use 1st gear quite often. If I'm reading this thread above right, will going to a 34T cassette make my 1st gear (& 10th & 19th gear) even lower? i.e. easier to climb something steeper?

Is there any other differences between a 11-32T and a 11-34T cassette, or is is just the diameter of the largest cog?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Gears work as ratios - so the 34 is a little easier than the 32, but a larger jump to it from the previous cog.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need to check the other ratios- they can differ. on my m770 11-32 you get 11,12 then 14. IIRC the 11 -34 goes 11,13.... Just depends what you want. If you run a granny then 34 is a little over kill.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use granny and 34 regularly. Useful for puny legs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I've since read more about this and the general view has been "why not".
    I am buying an XT cassette and I've just checked out the differences and they are:

11--12 --14 --16 -- 18 -- 21 -- 24 -- 28 -- 32T
    11 --13 --15 --17 -- 20 -- 23 -- 26 -- 30 -- 34T

So it's not just the largest cog that is different. I like the idea of the 11-13 rather than the 11-12.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nice, so I did recall correctly.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't have much use for the granny/34 but I've got a lot of use for the middle/34... Definately worth the tiny weight penalty.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Regarding the stuff about a single, it depends what you stick up front. Upgrade that front to 34t with 11-34 and it's the same as 32t with 11-32. Then it also depends what you're after. Climbing, flat or down speed, or a mix of both / compromise.

Have a play: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/