Considering single ring on front.

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering a single ring up front, but not sure what size ring to go for. I am a good climber (better going up than down) so I don't need granny ring size, but at the same time, some of the climbs around here are quite steep, also would like to have a bit of pedal power for use on singletrack and fireroad. I currently have a 9 speed cassette on rear.
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• If you are still looking to climb decently I would recommend a 34, gives you a bit more power on the flats, but should be still small enough to ride up in.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you have a double now, what is your larger ring? Most 2x9's are running a 32T as the larger rinf, so if you need to use the biggest gear at the back, don't go any bigger than that!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    Assuming you have a double now, what is your larger ring? Most 2x9's are running a 32T as the larger rinf, so if you need to use the biggest gear at the back, don't go any bigger than that!

Simon

I am running a double with the large ring being a 36t and the 9 speed cassette being a 11-34
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    widge34 wrote:

Simon

I am running a double with the large ring being a 36t and the 9 speed cassette being a 11-34
    And you can do everything in the 36?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • widge34
    nicklouse wrote:
    widge34 wrote:

Simon

And you can do everything in the 36?

Most things in 36 but some of the steeper stuff I can't. Thinking a 32 or 34. Would a 32 give me enough pedal power?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i run currently run a 10 speed 1x10 setup, with an 11-36t cassette and a 34t chain ring, is pretty much perfect for me on a 140mm FS bike, not really run out of gears too much, also about to run another 1 x 10 setup with a 33t ring and a 11-32 cassette, my suggestion would be to try a 33/34 E-thirteen guide ring and see how it goes :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who can tell except you? But why not just keep the double and double your options?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a cheap 32t, stick it in the middle and see how you get on? I'm sure I have a cheap but OK one you could have for a few quid!

That or I'll swap my Deore for your 36t!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    Get a cheap 32t, stick it in the middle and see how you get on? I'm sure I have a cheap but OK one you could have for a few quid!

That or I'll swap my Deore for your 36t!

Simon

I have a 32t. It was the original middle ring before I went from a triple to double. So maybe I will try it out first. Thanks.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34
    Can someone recommend a chain guide under £50 that is strong and reliable?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Check superstarcomponents.co.uk a few different choices, very good build, and great service, plus very good prices.
  • widge34
    Check superstarcomponents.co.uk a few different choices, very good build, and great service, plus very good prices.

Have had a look on Superstar, but all their chain devices get mixed reviews.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What to get is really down to what works for you, your fitness, and what kind of stuff you ride.

But I'll chuck in mine - 34t, 10 speed. 12-36 at the back. On that bike (Carbon 456) I'm not into huge climbs and I'm not racing snake, just want something in between for a general blast around and fun.

I went with that based on I used to have 2x9 22/32 and 11-34 at the back, and found the granny I could do without but would like a bit more for climbs with a single and 10 speed with the extra 36 gives me that or at least compensates for the switch to 34 at the front that gives me a bit more speed up top. Plus I've got 10 speed on the other bike so decided to stick with the same on both bikes.
    widge34 wrote:
    Can someone recommend a chain guide under £50 that is strong and reliable?
    Before you jump to a chain guide, consider a short mech at the back to improve tension, and myself I've got a bash guard and a Jump Stop the other side, both to keep the chain on. Ensure the 'single' ring is a true single ring too.
  • widge34
    Jump stop???
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Anonymous
    http://gvtc.com/~ngear/

Available from this place in the UK - http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js

Okay, it's a bit of rubber and metal. Some people just leave the derailleur cage on to do the same job or bodge something else.
  • widge34
    Would it be possible to use just a top guide Like thishttp://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=495&osCsid=c12fea9375bb2d6dd5fa2a47957d7f7eand still use my Blackspire stinger chain tensioner
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i'd recommend the e-thirteen ls1:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50666

bit over budget, but can be had for less than 50 quid if you can live with out the taco, i have the higher end LG1+, which is basically the same but with a lighter backplate to get the weight down, and it has been faultless since ive had it, and these things last years and years, utterly reliable and bombproof too, highly recommended. if these seem like too much the xcx from e-thirteen is also worth a punt, dispite only being a topguide it holds the chain very well and is much better than the superstar version, bit more money, but worth it imo. doubt you could use a stinger and a topguide however, would run into chain line issues i would imagine
  • widge34
    Well went out on a 17 mile ride yesterday and made myself stay in the 36t ring, climbed some pretty steep stuff and only on one climb did I have to get out of saddle, but I had no spare gears left, so on that basis I have ordered a 34t ring and the Superstar Laser chain device.
    Will the chain need shortening going from a 36 to 34?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Try the superstar xc guide; by the sounds of it you don't need a full guide (I use one and haven't managed to drop a chain yet.) Nice and cheap and pretty easy to set up, I had to space the cage out from the backplate using a washer but that doesn't seem to have done any harm.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2012
    Chain length - big ring to big ring, plus two links.

That's the chain not threaded through the mech.

edited: plus not less, oops!
  • widge34
    Not sure if what I have ordered is overkill or not. Some of the tracks I ride are steep, knarly with technical parts and also faster flowing sections, with the odd tree jump thrown in. The chain device was only £34.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34
    Been thinking about it and I think the laser chain device is too much. So cancelled that and ordered the XCR BB mount device. Much lighter too.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013