Scottish Referendum

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Now we have plundered Scotland of every useful resource it had (North Sea Oil) is it not only fair they have a vote which enables them to stop being a liability to the English tax payer anymore. (Besides surely we havent got anymore Royals who want a free University Education).

Comments

• lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    It's a good idea - as long as it doesn't adversely affect the supply and price of Walkers shortbread.

Walkers_Shortbread_Fingers_150g.jpg

And Laphroaig.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    stock-photo-fishing-hook-with-not-allowed-symbol-no-fishing-allowed-18237910.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    tim wand wrote:
    Now we have plundered Scotland of every useful resource it had (North Sea Oil) is it not only fair they have a vote which enables them to stop being a liability to the English tax payer anymore. (Besides surely we havent got anymore Royals who want a free University Education).

Er, I refer you to the following Scottish cashcows that should see the Scots through the next Ice Age and beyond:

Tunnocks
    Tartan, bagpipes, haggis etc
    Top-level International football
    Scotch/Whiskey/Whisky
    Andrew Neal's ongoing hair transplants
    Wind
    Scotty dogs for old ladies

I rest my case.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Mind knowing who's against it _ Cameron, Clegg and Miliband _ then I'm all for it and if I could (££££), I'd move straight away.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Do they get royalties for those little zip up tartan slippers and tartan shopping trolleys that become compulsory when you reach 70? That market must be worth millions...
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    are they going to fund themselves
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • tim_wand
    Aye theres the rub? at what point does indepedence mean financial indepedence? or will they just join the long list of "foreign countries" that we send "ring fenced" foreign aid to.

This includes Brazil who have now taken over from us as the sixth largest national economy demoting us to seventh, but we still send them aid money?

Apparently Scotland intends to align itself with the Scandinavian none euro zone economies, such as Norway, Denmark and Iceland. Humm? Iceland now theres a success story.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It should have happened a few years back but then who would've bailed out the Scottish banks? Scotland could've joined a little club with Iceland and Ireland.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    GiantMike wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

Er, I refer you to the following Scottish cashcows that should see the Scots through the next Ice Age and beyond:

Tunnocks
    Scotch/Whiskey/Whisky
    Wind

I rest my case.

Excuse me, but you're forgetting

Irn Bru
    sectarianism
    knife crime
    deep fried Mars Bars
    knife crime

on a serious note.....I personally don't know anyone who wants independence.
    It's pure pi$h by the way!!
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    It's worth our English members realising that an independant Scotland and the proposed reallocation of seats for Wales will amlost certainly result in a majority for the Conservative party at Westminster for the forseable future.

Might be a good thing; just saying...
  • tim_wand
    Shit!!!!! Long Term conservative majority, suppose it figures , not too many Torys in Scotland and Wales
    bet Cameroon gives this one his full backing.

Maybe the Home Counties and Cheshire should get independence too just to balance things up.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    tim wand wrote:
    shoot!!!!! Long Term conservative majority, suppose it figures , not too many Torys in Scotland and Wales

Maybe the Home Counties and Cheshire should get independence too just to balance things up.
    That's a good reason to ponder as to why he is so strongly trying to keep Scotland within the Union.
    Just show's that it is a complex issue.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    GiantMike wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

Tunnocks
    Top-level International footballScotch/Whiskey/Whisky
    Wind

I rest my case.

You must be confused?
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    GiantMike wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

Tunnocks
    Scotch/Whiskey/Whisky
    Wind

I rest my case.

GM I used think you knew what you were talking about...

you forgot to mention Rain, next time England suffers a drought...
  • I'm looking forward to addressing the haggis at a Burns night a week on Sat'day, kitted out in me kilt and all the regailier. :D

Fair fill your honest jolly face
    Great chieftain of the pudding race
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    Wales next up then
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Would it mean me having to carry my passport and funny money when i do LEJOG??
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... Fair fill your honest jolly face
    I heard on the radio the other week of a Burns Supper in Germany which had the address to the haggis translated into German then back into English for the english speakers.

'Great chieftain of the pudding race' came back as 'mighty fuhrer of the sausage people'.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    daviesee wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    shoot!!!!! Long Term conservative majority, suppose it figures , not too many Torys in Scotland and Wales

That's a good reason to ponder as to why he is so strongly trying to keep Scotland within the Union.
    Just show's that it is a complex issue.

There is a theory (continued by the MIGHT Daily Mash) that he's currently trying to piss of the Scots by "interfering with the process" just so we "rise like a nation again". Oh God I do worry for us at times :cry:
  • Crapaud wrote:
    ... Fair fill your honest jolly face
    I heard on the radio the other week of a Burns Supper in Germany which had the address to the haggis translated into German then back into English for the english speakers.

'Great chieftain of the pudding race' came back as 'mighty fuhrer of the sausage people'.

Can't help but think it loses a certain something in the translation. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Indeed. But it gains something too. I'm still laughing at it weeks later.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Scots are subsidy junkies and cost the English taxpayer millions of pound every year to keep them in the style to which they think they are entitled. Why then when independence is mooted is there an outcry that this will mean ruination for the UK taxpayer? Could it be (perish the thought) that they have in fact been milking the Scottish economy all this time and pretending that the Scots are costing money rather than in fact subsidising England? How could anyone believe a politician could be so dishonest?