Spare Inner tubes and carrying them

mercedism
mercedism Posts: 102
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
Just got myself a new bike and the tyres are on the front is 26x2.35 and rear is 26x2.10.

I have seen they are schrader valves and read that i should carry one as a spare.

Is it likely they are the same size inside both or would i be looking at getting two different ones?

Also is there some sort of inner tube carrier to put them in, or do you just keep them in the box and whatever rucksack/pack you have?

Comments

• The tube will do both tyre sizes, just make sure the tube is described say for 1.75-2.5 for instance. You can get skinny MTB tubes, just avoid those.

I always carry a couple of loose tubes in my camelback. If no camelback, then stuff it in a pocket/seat bag, without the cardboard box!
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • Inner tubes come in a variety of sizes, but can work slightly outside the range given, so a tube stating up to 2.1 would likely work in a 2.35 tyre. However best bet is to get something like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41990 in the 2.1 to 2.6 size.

I carry it wrapped up in an elastic band at the bottom of my rucksack, if I leave it in the box, the box always ends up soggy and wet.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    For years I have always carried a 1.5 x 26 as a spare and some scabs . smaller lighter and has always got me home.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run 26x1.0-1.5 tubes inside mine (upto 2.2) all the time, lighter and easier to fit, no issues, I know a fair few people who do the same, going slightly small on the tube is rarely an issue - in fcat a firend runs 29er tubes on his 36" wheeled (yes honest) bike as the 36er tubes are over 0.5Kg EACH.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advice and the link, just ordered a couple (blinded by the sales prices), hopefully will rot away before ever needing to change them.

Grabbed myself a mini-pump too. :D
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    Was waiting for a free multi tool which was being sent to me to see if any were on there, but alas no. So ordered earlier this week some pedros, just waiting for them to arrive.

But thanks for pointing it out, just in case i had forgot to think of them.

Will need to change my backpack, its too big and not happy with feel of it, will be looking for smaller hydration pack type with just enough room for tools and few spare clothes. Maybe one that can expand/shrink and also double up for snowboarding.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    mercedism wrote:
    hopefully will rot away before ever needing to change them.

hehe, I usually get a puncture or burst a tube every couple of rides on average! :roll:

p.s. I uaually keep a spare, along with a mini pump and some skabs in my saddle bag...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    delcol wrote:
    what about tyre levers you need to be able to get the tyre off. :wink:

I thought only girly men used those :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    delcol wrote:

Clearly you've never tried squeezin a 2.5 minion off a rim :lol:

I snapped 2 levers trying to get mine off the other day haha!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rushmore wrote:
    delcol wrote:

Clearly you've never tried squeezin a 2.5 minion off a rim :lol:

I snapped 2 levers trying to get mine off the other day haha!
    Girl.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown