How Fast have youbeen on your bike ?

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Gizmodo wrote:
    This thread makes me laugh - if anyone is looking for the secret to eternal life, just look at this thread. I don't think it will ever die. :D

Forums are a bit like a conversation in the pub - they start off one way but soon change direction and meander down their own path. Meanwhile people keep arriving half way through the conversation who have missed all the twists and turns. The only difference is that on a forum they've not excuse for having missed the twists because they are there to read - they just CBA.

102 mph. Do I win?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Eric Baron: 163kmh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikVi-36nYbY&feature=related

He was recorded at 172kmh in a second run (different bike), but shortly after that things went a little wrong. As you can see in the video !!!

Once recovered, he went on to post a speed of 205kmh (128mph) (on snow, 'cause obviously that's faster !) !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJb351pB6Ow&feature=fvwrel

Markus Stokl went on to beat that at 210kmh (131mph)................ again, on snow !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-FuyNFBHCE&feature=related

I guess that trumps you lot :wink:

I think this record still stands.........
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Seriously, BEFORE you post on this thread please go to page ONE and start reading, don't just post.

On second thoughts just post, it's keeping those of us in the know highly entertained. :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • 10 PRINT "ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"
    20 PRINT "Went down a hill at [random speed +/- unbelievability quotient]
    30 GOTO 10

Surely 10 and 20 are the wrong way round....... is that BBC Basic you're talking BTW, you 70's throwback. :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I did 42mph once on a long downhill out of Bruntingthorpe towards peatling magna...

...Joking :wink:
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    We should set up some sort of support group for delusional riders?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    nweststeyn wrote:
    We should set up some sort of support group for delusional riders?
    Like "Speed addicts anonymous"?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840
    thecrofter wrote:
    10 PRINT "ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"
    20 PRINT "Went down a hill at [random speed +/- unbelievability quotient]
    30 GOTO 10

Surely 10 and 20 are the wrong way round....... is that BBC Basic you're talking BTW, you 70's throwback. :)
    1970s, yes. The furthest I got in computing was:

10 PRINT [rude word]
    20 GOTO 10

The really clever ones got onto Fortran, but to run the programs they had to send off their written-out sheets to Bristol Poly, where they would punch each line of the program into punch cards before running them through the computer there, and returning the reams of print-outs back to school for analysis. I think Michael Gove would like a return to those days of everyone getting their hands grubby with code.

Me, Windows will do fine, thanks mate.

But perhaps we just need a couple of line of code in this thread something like:

10 IF ANYONE MENTIONS THEIR ALLEGED TOP SPEED DELETE POST.

20 EMAIL POSTER: "READ THE WHOLE THREAD YOU TWERP".

Mind you, that might not quite be in BBC Basic - it's 36 years since I used it. But you get the gist.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    1.18 miles in 1.54 seconds on steep part of Kirkstone. Sorry cant work out the ave speed

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=342483
  • briantrumpet
    berliner wrote:
    1.18 miles in 1.54 seconds on steep part of Kirkstone. Sorry cant work out the ave speed

Warped Factor 3, I think.
  • LeicesterLad
    FFS, can people on this forum honestly not read? :shock:
  • briantrumpet
    Je pense que M. Berliner, il taquine.

There, maybe we're in the wrong language.
  • LeicesterLad
    Je pense que M. Berliner, il taquine.

There, maybe we're in the wrong language.

:lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,443
    berliner wrote:

2,758.4 mph by my reckoning. Not bad (I assume you mean you were going up not down though?)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    That would be quite impressive...... if it were uphill.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    HAY GUYZ! I WENT ON MY BIKE TODAI! I WENT A MAX SPD OF 15.8 MIELS PER HOOR OMG OMG OMG Lolz!!!!!11!!!rofl!.

IT WAZ INTNESESE.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    berliner wrote:

1.18 miles in 1min.54 secs

* Rule1 never post post vino - no,not Vinoukourov... you know what I mean.....
  • briantrumpet
    berliner wrote:
    Rule1 never post post vino - no,not Vinoukourov... you know what I mean.....
    Ah, il ne taquinait pas; il était rond comme une queue de pelle.
  • berliner wrote:
    Rule1 never post post vino - no,not Vinoukourov... you know what I mean.....
    Ah, il ne taquinait pas; il était rond comme une queue de pelle.

"Ah, it does not teasing, it was round like the tail of a shovel."

Nice.

mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Ninteen, n - n - n - n - n - n - n - nineteen.
  • Yossie wrote:
    Ninteen, n - n - n - n - n - n - n - nineteen.

I preferred rain forest to nineteen.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I managed 22mph down to 0mph in under 1 second thanks to a ruddy dog running into the road - can anyone beat that for a deceleration?

I think my bike did this once, thing was I was still doing 22mph after it stopped...ouch.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Stop searching! I have found the holy grail
  • Well... thats amazing.. haven't you all been having lots of fun with my little stimulus. lots of evidence of funny people, serious people and... worryingly.... those well down the autistic spectrum... Cheers Guys.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Bloody nora where you been? Been worried sick.
  • Bloody nora where you been? Been worried sick.

didnt you know he hit 88mph on his second attempt and the flux capacitor sent him 363 days into the future. :wink:

now where do you get hold of delorean bikes?
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I have seen 52 mph on my cateye on a recent ride in the Pennines. I also logged 21,000 mph on map my ride, faster than the space shuttle. Pretty sure that was accurate, I was working hard.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    My claim is 53 down Beachy Head (why did you say 52mph Herb71 ?).

There are some factors here that makes me think Mr Harris's claim is dodgy because of that ride:
    A) It was an Avocet 30 computer and I don't know how accurate it was.
    B) I stopped pedalling pretty quickly 'cos I run out of gears, I was never a track rider and couldn't keep my balance like a track rider could at some unearthly 110rpm on toe clips and straps going downhill.
    C) It was a conducive tail wind. A tail wind is all very well, but if there is a hint of a side wind then it would make you nervous just as you hit the bend after the gravel speed trap. The anticipation of this used to make me brake far earlier than I would do without it and in so doing, loose out on another 80yds or so of acceleration.
    D) Those fantastic descents in the Tours are on very smooth roads, often with long fast sweeping curves and they very rarely hit those speeds. Despite: No traffic, they are pro's and they go hell for leather making up time on much much longer descents. Remember the 45min drop off the Sestriere ski station down into Italy in the TdF, fantastic?

PS What is Bigbee's fastest descent, that must have been awesome ? Also, did those lovely decals that EzyRider come off at warp speed down Moss Side and thats why we didn't get the pics ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • My fastest decent was into tedium - in a record time of 0.3 X factors. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    My claim is 53 down Beachy Head (why did you say 52mph Herb71 ?).

Why? Because that was the max I saw on the computer during the Etape Pennines! Seems to be realistic. The fastest I had ever seen prior to that ride was 44 mph.