Budget XC Racer

MrBibble
MrBibble Posts: 79
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Is it possible to buy or even build a budget xc racer hardtail? I'm toying with the idea of doing an endurance team race this year and thinking if i can build a cheapy that works and then more importantly if i like it and want to do more could i then steadily upgrade bits n bobs as and when?

I've looked at a few frames on CRC and everyone and his dog has some sale on a 100mm fork etc but not entirely sure what/where to start....

Any thoughts ideas appreciated 8)

Comments

• MrBibble wrote:
    Hi,
    Is it possible to buy or even build a budget xc racer hardtail? I'm toying with the idea of doing an endurance team race this year and thinking if i can build a cheapy that works and then more importantly if i like it and want to do more could i then steadily upgrade bits n bobs as and when?

I've looked at a few frames on CRC and everyone and his dog has some sale on a 100mm fork etc but not entirely sure what/where to start....

Any thoughts ideas appreciated 8)
    whats your budget??
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your initial budget for this project?
  • there is this if your budget stretches
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PBOOWHIPX9/ ... plete_bike

not much to upgrade either
    live, ride, survive

Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • A lot cheaper than that! Less than £500, and that'll have to be a build as i cant spend that much in one go .....
  • Do you have any parts already or is it a buy everything build?
    live, ride, survive

Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • Its a fresh start.... :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My official race bike owes me less than £500... Used Carrera Kraken + ancient Mavic Enduro rims + carbon rigid forks. Other bits put together out of whatever I could find cheap. Weighs something around 22lbs with racy tyres on, goes up hills like it's got an engine.

Most folks discount rigid forks but unless you're soloing a long race, or doing an unusually technical course, rigid works really well. Suspension's better, but lightweight high quality forks aren't cheap.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you can stretch to the mnid 600s there's some 2011 bargains that might never need upgrading...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Hardtail weighs in at just over 11Kg, Kraken frame, 100mm Manitou forks (Air spring and SPV), Juicy3's, powerspline chainset, X7/Rocket shifters with LX/XT mechs on Crossrides and running Panaracer foldings and all in cost about £450 (total just over £500 with 3 sets of tyres for differing conditions) most stuff bought through classifieds/ebay as nearly new but used, the lads bike isn't much heavier and cost about £150 less starting with a Spesh off ebay for £120 and adding a Manitou fork, RM5's and conti tyres along with an X9/X7 conversion and going to 9 speed rear (that was sold as needing some work). So yes, it can be done for £500.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    By "Endurance Team" event you're presumably thinking something like a 24? In which case I'd just ride what you've got, you see anything and everything at those, save a bit more money and get something like a Whippet.
  • Thanks for the replies, some useful ideas to consider 8)
  • MrBibble wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, some useful ideas to consider 8)

My self build has cost me around the £550-£600 mark but if I was to buy a bike of equal spec it would cost around the £1200 mark. So you can save money doing it this way.

Have a look at my speck list so you can cut corners in places or buy second hand. Something to bere in mind when building though is tools that you'll need. I had most of the tools already but didn't factor in that I would have to buy little things like a bb30 tool. And if your not on good terms with your LBS then factor in costs of Headset fitting, Fork fitting etc.

Here's a link to mine:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12830641
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707