Is it really January?

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Only mention it because i just cant wear the winter jacket anymore, getting to work sweatier than in the summer - its just to hard to gauge what to wear at the minute. Almost considering getting the bib-shorts out again. Never have a known this before. (not complaining mind, this time last year i'd have wanted to hibernate the weather was so aweful)

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    It will become more Januaryy by the end of the week. According to BBC weather.

Don't sell you winter jacket just yet.
  • Was out Sunday in nowt more than a long sleeve base layer, jersey and thin tights and felt fine - agree, weird weather.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Was out Sunday in nowt more than a long sleeve base layer, jersey and thin tights and felt fine - agree, weird weather.

Exactly the same,
    although the warmish weather is nice,its clear something is very wrong for the tempreture to be this high in Jan.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • LeicesterLad
    GiantMike wrote:
    It will become more Januaryy by the end of the week. According to BBC weather.

Don't sell you winter jacket just yet.

BBC says weather for thursday and friday here is supposed to be sunny and 12c day time temp, night time down to 2c, but id still not call it wintery.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm looking forward to it getting so warm that I don't have to wear anything !!!
    This shingles makes it so uncomfortable to wear cycling kit that I haven't bothered yet this year ! Bring on some properly hot weather and I can go out nekked without little Matt freezing up and falling off.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • It is stupidly mild for this time of year! Last Jan it was -15oC and now it's 10oC! I'm struggling to work out what kit to put on before a ride as well, out today in kit that normally doesn't see the light of day till April and I was pretty comfortable. Shouldn't complain though, at least I can get out this time rather than being on the damned turbo thanks to loads of snow and ice.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Only mention it because i just cant wear the winter jacket anymore, getting to work sweatier than in the summer - its just to hard to gauge what to wear at the minute. Almost considering getting the bib-shorts out again. Never have a known this before. (not complaining mind, this time last year i'd have wanted to hibernate the weather was so aweful)

Move to Scotland LL you still would NEED your Winter Jacket with the wind chill tho 10 degrees is "Tropical" for us and thats in the summer :D
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The question is do I spend what I've saved in heating bills this autumn/winter or be dull and sensible and bank it for the next one? Hmmn.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    although the warmish weather is nice,its clear something is very wrong for the tempreture to be this high in Jan.
    Don`t worry good `ole nature will set it to rights, probably snow in May :D:D

However although mild I reckon a lot of us are just comparing to last 2 -3 years winters when it was COLD COLD and this is most likely back to normal--as was Dec despite , or because of, being +5 c above last Dec avg. Nice to be able to enjoy some slightly spring like weather too :)
  • LeicesterLad
    Well i saw the sun come up on my commute this morning for the first time since the nights have started drawing out again, another warmish morning, could have been forgiven for thinking it was March, lovely to feel a small piece of spring in mid January! (also noticed, theres still flowering snap draggons and marrigold from last year in my garden, Lawn hasn't stopped growning, and when putting seed out for the birds its been taking root on the damp bird table all through December...) does seem slightly unusual, but as said above, probably this is just back to reality, and not the ice age of the last couple of years. Long may it continue, and im hoping this doesn't mean we are going to have a dreadful summer as recompence.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    theres still flowering snap draggons and marrigold from last year in my garden
    Isn't that a quote from a Wordsworth poem?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I spend way to much time thinking about this type of stuff

These are my significant timings...

15th January - start noticing that it really is getting a lot lighter...
    mid February - still light after 6, maybe a chance to get out for an hour if i get home early
    mid February to late March - continually annoyed about the fact that the clocks dont change until end of March. (They change about 8 weeks before winter solstice so why dont they change 8 weeks after winter solstice :evil: )
    Late March - Clocks go forward. About time!!
    21st April - Proper summer time, enough light to go out for as long as I want
    10th July - After about six weeks of constant sunlight, just a sign that the sun is setting a little earlier. Ok thats about 10pm here, but it becomes noticible and it is all downhill 9pm end of July - 8pm end of Aug.
    mid September - dark about 7pm - lose will to try to go out in an evening.

All downhill from here until Dec 21st arrives and the countdown begins again.

Like I say, I probably spend too much time thinking about this...
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • LeicesterLad

Keats Actually :wink:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690

Ah yes, I should have recognised his spelling.
  • LeicesterLad

Ah yes, I should have recognised his spelling.

Cheeky bar-steward. (I am borderline illiterate)
  • alanp23 wrote:

These are my significant Scottish timings... :wink:

15th January - it's still pitch dark at 9am and close to zero degrees kelvin - time for the bibshorts then..
    mid February - still bumping into Riddick and strange winged creatures on the morning run
    mid February to late March - continually annoyed about the fact that it's now just "mostly" dark. And snowing. And windy.
    Late March - Clocks go forward. About time!! makes b*gger all difference though as the cloud cover is at 12 feet
    21st April - Still raining, fractionally warmer. Two days of sunshine laughingly referred to as "summer"
    10th July - After about six weeks of constant rain, just a sign that the summer is over . Scheduled to rain now until next April (see above)
    mid September - dark. wet. miserable.

FTFY
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Cosign what LeicesterLad said above; it's a beautiful day here in Leicester and couldn't have picked a better day to get back in the saddle after last weeks accident!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • LeicesterLad
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Cosign what LeicesterLad said above; it's a beautiful day here in Leicester and couldn't have picked a better day to get back in the saddle after last weeks accident!

its beautiful out there today, left the jacket at home, still got to work a sweaty mess. Couldnt make it up...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Daffodils are out in the North West. I cant say I'm missing the cold. Not had my overshoes on yet.
  • YUP :twisted:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    cougie wrote:
    Daffodils are out in the North West. I cant say I'm missing the cold. Not had my overshoes on yet.

aye an crocus are starting to come up in my garden
    Keeping it classy since '83