Tour Down Under TV Coverage?

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Hi All

Forgive me if I am being thick but I can't seem to find out if the 2012 Tour Down Under is being covered on TV in the UK? I have Googled it but there is very little info out there? Thought it might be on Eurosport perhaps?

Alesupper

Comments

• past couple of years been highlight programs on Sky sports but cannot find anything about this year yet
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Nothing published as yet but keep an eye on the official website. (or Steephill of course)

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/tv-coverage.htm
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Nothing published as yet but keep an eye on the official website. (or Steephill of course)

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/tv-coverage.htm

Thanks for that. You'd think that they would know who was covering the race by now considering it starts in about 3 weeks! I'll keep an eye on that link.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    In 2012, the Santos Tour Down Under will be broadcast across the globe showcasing the WorldTour event while bringing the best of South Australia's beautiful beaches, wine regions and towns to television screens around the world.

Emphasis on the beaches and vineyards. If you've never seen the TV coverage of the TDU that they usually show on Sky Sports, you haven't missed much cycling action. There's maybe 10 minutes of race coverage in between tourist guff, interviews, jersey presentations and shots of riders holding baby kangaroos.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Emphasis on the beaches and vineyards. If you've never seen the TV coverage of the TDU that they usually show on Sky Sports, you haven't missed much cycling action. There's maybe 10 minutes of race coverage in between tourist guff, interviews, jersey presentations and shots of riders holding baby kangaroos.

I think you mean

There's maybe 10 minutes of "race" coverage
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    At this point in the year even the TDU seems exciting Iain.... :wink:

I think they are finishing a stage on Willunga Hill this year so hopefully that will open it up to more than just the usual sprinters. Yes, i know it's not the Alpe D'Huez, but it's a start!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    After no racing since Lombardy (bar some track action), I look forward to watching the TdU...It generally gives me a kick up the @rse to get out & ride.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/3689

- Australian viewers will be able to watch the Tour Down Under on Channel Nine's Wide World of Sports. There will be daily highlights and the final two stages will be broadcast live. This is similar to last year's coverage although unlike SBS, Channel Nine apparently will not broadcast the Down Under Classic live. Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen will provide the commentary. (see below for international broadcasters)

Channel Nine TdU Broadcast Schedule

Sunday January 15:
    10.30pm-12am - Down Under Classic (90 minute highlights)

Tuesday January 17:
    11.30pm-12.30am - Stage 1 (1 hour highlights)

Wednesday January 18:
    11.20pm-12.20am - Colemans Group Stage 2 (1 hour highlights)

Thursday January 19:
    11.30pm-12.30am - Stage 3 (1 hour highlights)

Friday January 20:
    11.00pm-12.00pm - Bupa Stage 4 (1 hour highlights)

Saturday January 21: Jayco Stage 5 LIVE broadcast:
    11.00am-3.30pm - Adelaide
    10.30am-3pm - Brisbane
    11.30am-4pm - Sydney/Melbourne
    8.30am-1pm - Perth

Sunday January 22: Stage 6 LIVE broadcast:
    12.30pm-3.30pm - Adelaide
    12.00pm-3.00pm - Brisbane
    1.00pm-4.00pm - Sydney/Melbourne
    10.00am-1.00pm - Perth

International Broadcasters

International broadcasters announced include Sky Sports and ITV (UK), Setanta (Ireland), RTL (Luxembourg), Sport + (France), Teledeporte (Spain), Direct TV (South and Central America), Astro (Malaysia), Sky TV (New Zealand), TV2 Sport (Norway), Eurosport Asia, J-Sports (Japan), Versus (USA), Rogers (Canada), and Supersport (Pan-Africa). It is expected that most international broadcasts of the TdU will consist of race highlights or replays. Check your local listings for broadcast details.
    cartoon.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wish they'd put the Tour of Calfornia back to its feb slot :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Sky Sports and ITV (UK)

Wonder what ITV will show?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    afx237vi wrote:
    ...shots of riders holding baby kangaroos.
    Behold! https://twitter.com/#!/Manuelbelletti/s ... to/1/large
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    AjJEsN1CIAEh3wT.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    If you have nothing better to watch, there is a three hour+ review of the TDU on RAISport2 this afternoon, followed by a few more hours of other cycling programmes.
  • Hi,

Just noticed that ITV4 have a highlights programme of the TDU on Sunday 11:25, seems a little late considering the TDU finished on the 22nd Jan.

Although I've been cycling for few years I have only just started to get interested in pro cycling, other than the Tour de France and Tour Series are ITV likely to show any other cycling events?