Route advice - Regent's Park to Canary Wharf

FrankM
FrankM Posts: 129
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
I'm changing jobs and my new job is in Canary Wharf. What is the quickest and best way to get from Regent's Park to Canary Wharf.

Any tips gratefully received.

Cheers,

FrankM

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    The "fun" way would be to take the Regent's Canal - car free!

Otherwise & depending on how brave you might be, would be to come down to Euston Road, Pentonville, Old St, Commercial St and down to the Highway/CS3. Not so brave, then cross down to New Oxford and follow High Holborn out through the City to Highway/CS3
  • Regent's Canal may be 'fun' but as a commuting route its useless... to narrow and too many blind corners

My old route to Aldgate was Regent's Park, Euston Road, Judd St, Guilford St, Grays Inn Rd, Theobalds Rd, Clerkenwell Rd, Old St, Commercial St and then you can pick up CS3. I did that every day and its not that bad for traffic, generally its either clear, or you're moving faster than they are.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • FrankM
    Thanks both - I was intending to avoid the canal path on the basis that it's too slow. I was thinking of going down to the Embankment and then doing the Victoria Embankment to Tower Bridge before taking Cable Street, etc. Either that or the Euston Road, Pentonville Road to Old Street route you've described.

I'd quite like to have as few traffic lights and other hold ups as possible!
  • You might find you are fighting against a tide of cyclists coming towards you down Cable Street. The Highway east bound is fairly empty in the morning and much quicker than Cable Street. Just remember you aren't allowed down the Limehouse Link.
  • FrankM
    Thanks Mr Cellophane.

If one goes down the Highway, would you then take a left up White Horse Road and then a right through St James' Gardens to Horseferry Road/Narrow Street?
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    FrankM wrote:
    Thanks Mr Cellophane.

If one goes down the Highway, would you then take a left up White Horse Road and then a right through St James' Gardens to Horseferry Road/Narrow Street?

Yeah, you can do that, or you can cross at the lights just before the tunnel and get to Narrow Street direct - there's a little bit of shared pavement. You can pull into the hatching and operate the pelican crossing button without having to get off your bike. The Highway is a dual carriageway with lots of large trucks/coaches but if you're a confident and quick cyclist I think it's safer than CS3 - less chance of a left/right hook by cars turning across or peds walking out and fewer muppet cyclists.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Yep - I used to do The Highway east bound in the evening. Easier to get on to than Cable Street, no muppet cyclists jumping the red lights or riding two abreast so you can't get past. The Highway for me was very busy, but so busy that the cars, coaches and lorries realised that I was ultimately quicker than they were and never gave me any problems.