Fizik Aliante Gamma - first impressions

Nairnster
Nairnster Posts: 602
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Well I gave the saddle its maiden voyage since fitting the saddle.

The ride was fairly short, as
A) it was bloody windy
B) it was bloody cold
C) it was a test ride to dial in saddle height and position

I knew it was going to be the right shape, as its very similar to the standard saddle that came on the bike, and I certainly had no comfort issues.

My main observation was however, that it seemed very slippery. It may just be down to the shorts i was wearing, but I used to wear them with the old saddle and didnt experience this. I could actually feel myself slipping sideways on the saddle when turning, which felt a bit disconcerting.

Has anyone else found this with this, or any other saddle? And is it likely to cure itself as the saddle wears a little through use?

I also found it much more comfortable, though some of this may be down to the fact I also replaced the seatpost at the same time:

20120106_152603Medium.jpg

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    to be honest, someone's impressions of any saddle are only going to be relevant to that particular rider...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I would have thought the first impression was your arse.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Re. the slippage issues ... How is the saddle set up, if the nose is down slightly I can imagine that you may slide forward on it ... I have mine set dead level with no issues ... The saddle has been on my badboy and spin bike, again dead level, with no issues ...
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    The slippage was side to side, and the saddle is level.

To pseudonym, that comment makes no sense. If it did, there would be no need for this sub forum, as noones advice would be of any use to anyone else.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    i noticed that my new Giant's saddle is a little slippy...

is limited slippage a good thing to prevent shorts rubbing?

can't think of anything to cause or prevent the excess slipping you've described though! Don't some saddles have grip on?

e.g. http://www.prologotouch.com/nago_evo_x10_nack.php -> note the 'slide control' in the key features box.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Something like this may be of help if your finding it too slippy http://www.fizik.it/product.aspx?c=Extra-Grip
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Only thing I can think of is your saddle is too high ...forcing you to move when the inside pedal is at its highest to take the corner and, ergo, the opposite pedal is it's lowest (and under load compared to the inside one) ...

Or the complete opposite is true and younare lifting yourself off the saddle from applying pressure to the non cornering side ...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I use a carbon-railed Aliante in the summer and an Aliante gamma for winter. Not slippery for me have to say, the carbon railed one is more comfortable but the gamma is fine for me.
  • I found my Aliante Gamma pretty slippery as well, especially compared to the Charge Spoon that preceded it. I'm hoping it'll improve as I ride it more