I've Just Bought This

BridlingtonBiker
BridlingtonBiker Posts: 152
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Some of you may or may not be aware I was knocked off my bike back in August. To cut a long story short the bike was a write off and I've finally got an interim payment to allow me to replace my boardman road bike. I took to opportunity to add some money to the insurance money and spec myself up to a full carbon bike. The boardman team carbon.

The first I collected boxed from my local halfords on Sunday. Due to a groove in the top tube I picked up the second this evening. Although this one doesn't have the same groove there is a mark in exactly the same place. There are also some weird colour variations in the carbon finish which to me don't seem normal. What do you think?

320885_10150932588655425_764665424_21282398_664977206_n.jpg
Just above the "b"

...and here's the colour variation
301508_10150932592245425_764665424_21282404_1855314004_n.jpg

Comments

• i think someone was saying that the finish is normal for the type carbon used in the boardmans, i may be wrong :oops: but it looks the same on the focus cayo. there was a thread before the forum got updated on the finish of the cayo
  • The colour variation is normal. Someone on here had a focus with exactly the same thing a couple of weeks back. It's just the raw carbon, rather than a fancy eye-pleasing weave many other bikes have.
    Not sure about the other mark. Doesn't look much to worry about.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The answer is spelled out in your first picture! It is made of unidirectional carbon and that's what unidirectional carbon looks like when it isn't painted.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ok that's put my mind at rest about the carbon. I'm assuming the unidirectional carbon must be stronger than "pretty weave" carbon for them to have used it.

I've just finished loosely bolting everything together on my medium sized frame. The approximate weight for a medium sized team carbon is 18.2 lb or around 8.27kg without pedals according to boardmans web site specs http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html

There's no reflectors, bells or pedals on the bike. I'm actually gutted to find the bike rests at about 9kg in its current state
  • Bummer. Maybe if you put helium in the tires.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Ok that's put my mind at rest about the carbon. I'm assuming the unidirectional carbon must be stronger than "pretty weave" carbon for them to have used it.

All cf frames are made out of Unidirectional CF. The 'weave(s)' we commonly see are simply applied over the top as purely aesthetic (that's to say not structural) features.

Making a bike out of woven cf would give a poor result. Not strong/stiff enough in the right area's, whilst too strong/stiff in others. Unidirectional + targeted 'lay-up' = strength/stiffness in correct places, compliance/lack of stiffness in others.

(i'm not an expert but i've read a fair bit about it as well as having an expert friend)
  • I can understand "some" weight variation hence the approx figures stated and you've got to expect the marketing BS to state a weight figure on the low side but at nearly 10% overweight should I be taking this bike back as well?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well it does say approximate ? How accurate are your scales ?

Personally I'd not bother - weight isnt the be all and end all of a bike.
  • To get a more accurate result as my scales only work to 1 DP I changed the units to lb's from kg. The bike is 1.1lb over the stated weight or 18.2lb. That's 6% which to me is still a little on the high side. Why do these companies not state the average weight rather than the weight of the lightest one they could find?
  • Because the OCD weight obsessed roadie will want to save 35g and buy a different bike from another manufacturer. Maybe.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Ok that's put my mind at rest about the carbon. I'm assuming the unidirectional carbon must be stronger than "pretty weave" carbon for them to have used it.

I've just finished loosely bolting everything together on my medium sized frame. The approximate weight for a medium sized team carbon is 18.2 lb or around 8.27kg without pedals according to boardmans web site specs http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html

There's no reflectors, bells or pedals on the bike. I'm actually gutted to find the bike rests at about 9kg in its current state

There is a lot of lying about claimed bicycle weight... of course a carbon bike which weighs in at 9 Kg is a bit disappointing... what's the point of getting a plastic bike if it weighs 9 Kg? Even my 1990s steel bike weighs less than that
    left the forum March 2023

There is a lot of lying about claimed bicycle weight... of course a carbon bike which weighs in at 9 Kg is a bit disappointing... what's the point of getting a plastic bike if it weighs 9 Kg? Even my 1990s steel bike weighs less than that

True but weight isn't the whole issue,given that though guess the Boardman wheelset, saddle, stem and bars once replaced for nicer lighter bling will bring that down quite a bit. I like selecting my finishing kit buying a complete bike is always a disappointment for me save for the frameset, well at anything under £1K-1.5K pricepoint.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    There once was a man named Speedking..........

In fairness I can understand your concerns, but the naked unidirectional carbon is always going to vary under certain lights. As long as its structurally sound you're good.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Supergoose wrote:
    As long as its structurally sound you're good.

I'm really sorry to be a pain, but this comment means nothing in this context.
    I think the question from the OP is just to make sure that the carbon IS structurally sound. From the responses given, and the references to the FOCUS issue, we know that the lighting can make the carbon look 'sloppy' whereas that is the effect which unilateral carbon gives. As for the 'blemish' on the other photo, the OP wanted to ensure that it wasn't a manufacturing defect, especially given he had returned a bike which had more severe damage in the exact same place.

As carbon, if it does fail, fails catastrophically, I think the OP wants to KNOW that is is structurally sound, rather than find out that it isn't, the hard way
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Are you sure you're not the artist formerly known as Speedking?

The op's bike has a couple of marks on it, I can safely say it will have a few more with a couple of thousand miles under its belt.

Toodle pip.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'm actually gutted to find the bike rests at about 9kg in its current state

I know how you feel mate.

I've got a Giant TCR Composite that felt super light out the box.
    Built up with Record apart from a Centaur carbon chainset. Carbon pedals and Shamal Ultra wheels.

Still weighs 9kgs :?
  • Anyone know how much their body weight varies by, day to day?
    Mine is about 2kg, usually down towards the end of the week, worrying about 200 or 300g component weight here or there is pointless in my opinion. Lots more things you have little to no control over will have a greater impact on your performance than worrying about bike weight.

(goes and removes reflectors off wheels)
  • I'm not sure who this speedking is but no I'm not whoever it is. I'm just someone who's spent what to me is a huge sum of money on a bike that I had high expectations for. I think figures like weight which are important to many cyclists should be regulated if companies can't be honest about them
  • There are false advertising laws you know...?
    You can report them here:
    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regul ... form.shtml
  • You weighing your energy bars? Measuring the content of drinks? The little e next to the Weight means average nett weight or contents and the same will apply to Bike frame weight. I work for a Construction Equipment manufacturer and the weight of one of our machines in 21,950kg but can be anything from 21,600 to 22,350kg all above the law and down to manufacturing tolerances.
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    I'd also put some of it down to how inaccurate your scales could be.

I've just built a Planet X SL Pro Carbon with full Ultegra 6700 and Fulcrum 5 wheels. I weighed all the components individually beforehand on my small digital kitchen scales , and the total weight was 7.8kg plus pedals. When I stand it on my bathroom scales, it is 7.3kg plus pedals. When I weight it by hanging it by the saddle from my other scales, supposed to be used for weighing suitcases(!) it is 7.8kg again. I assume the first and last are accurate - but who knows?
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • To be honest I am weighing this on some bathroom scales so maybe I should try a second method before I go slagging the bike off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    bathrooom scales ???

They're not very accurate at all. And what flooring are they on ? My old ones weighed differently depending how you placed them on the floor.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Just make sure you have a really good dump before each ride. That'll sort your bike weight concerns. :wink:

As everyone else has said there is little point in worrying about weight to that degree. Just jump on the bike and enjoy.
  • NickintheLakes
    NickintheLakes Posts: 258
    edited January 2012
    Well I know little about carbon but I do expect nice things that I have purchased to be delivered spot on. What happens after I get it is neither here nor there at the moment of purchase.

If that was my brand new bike and it had that mark on the top tube (or anywhere else for that matter) it would be returned, period.
  • Same here I wouldn't accept it. Sometimes it is good to have them build it (you can always adjust it properly afterwards - which from halfords should always be done) and then you can have a good look before leaving. If it has a mark on it you either haggle (i did) or say bugger off, get me a different one. I personally couldn't live with the bike in the pictures. I just told the manager who had the bike and wanted me to sign the document to serve some one else so I could inspect for any marks. He didn't like it much but had no choice.

If they get marked after use it bothers me but at least I did the damage.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Same here, i wouldnt accept it, it should be mint !!
    You wouldnt buy a brand new car with a big scratch on the bonnet would ya !!

Take it back.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Id take it back myself too, as you know now the finish is the finish, nothing wrong with that, but that mark in the tube I wouldn't have, no way. Also, if you went to sell it on in a year or soand someone looks at it then they'll probably walk away seeing that... and if you sold it on eBay and mentioned the mark it will sell for loads less, and if you don't mention it and someone received it and looked it over they'll be complaining.

But, in short. I wouldn't be happy. Id take it back. If you have doubts that make you unhappy, take it back.

If a third one looks dodgy, get your money back and go buy something else, there's loads of good bikes out there. ...or, dont even bother looking at a third, just get the money back now.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You lot do all realise that this thread died in mid November, right?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    You lot do all realise that this thread died in mid November, right?

Someone linked it in another 'is this carbon finish normal' thread
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles