Opening links in a new window

Velonutter
Velonutter Posts: 2,437
Any chance lads you could change the default to open in a new window as otherwise am constantly having to re-open the forum having closed off the link and forgetting that it doesn't.

Cheers.

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Velonutter wrote:
    Any chance lads you could change the default to open in a new window as otherwise am constantly having to re-open the forum having closed off the link and forgetting that it doesn't.

Cheers.
    Yep, have asked for that
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Jeff 8)
  • Hi, any idea how long this will take? Pain in the ass when I want to compare 2 links side-by-side - see Cake Stop -> Rip off Dogma for an example. OP has 2 links but can only open one at a time and cannot view both links together (Windows7 has this facility) due to opening in the same window. Also keep closing it by mistake... Ta. G.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Jeff Jones
    garrynolan wrote:
    Hi, any idea how long this will take? Pain in the ass when I want to compare 2 links side-by-side - see Cake Stop -> Rip off Dogma for an example. OP has 2 links but can only open one at a time and cannot view both links together (Windows7 has this facility) due to opening in the same window. Also keep closing it by mistake... Ta. G.
    I tested it yesterday and it works (there'll be a option in your profile under 'board settings'). Not sure if it'll go live today or Monday. Joe (josnor) can update you.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • josnor
    josnor Posts: 207
    We'll be deploying it on Monday. In the meantime, don't forget that you can open links in new windows by Ctrl-clicking, middle-clicking (if you have a 3-button mouse) or right-clicking on the link and selecting 'Open in new window/tab'
  • josnor
    It's been deployed. To enable it, go to 'User Control Panel' > 'Board Preferences' tab and it's the bottom option ('Open external links in a new window')
  • Velonutter
    josnor wrote:
    It's been deployed. To enable it, go to 'User Control Panel' > 'Board Preferences' tab and it's the bottom option ('Open external links in a new window')

Nice one lads, much appreciated
  • Much better - thanks very much. Just the other bits to fix...
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Velonutter
    Sorry lads, just another minor issue, internal links don't open in a new window, so if someone puts a link up to a Bike radar link, then it doesn't open in a new window?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:
    Sorry lads, just another minor issue, internal links don't open in a new window, so if someone puts a link up to a Bike radar link, then it doesn't open in a new window?

Not had a reply on this one lads and it seems as though the opening a new window in not working all the time, e.g. with photobucket when you click a thumbnail.

Can we get this fixed the way it should be so that all links open in a new window?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does not seem to be an option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've always opened links in a new tab with a middle click on my 3 button mouse both before and after the upgrade using Firefox.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    redvee wrote:
    I've always opened links in a new tab with a middle click on my 3 button mouse both before and after the upgrade using Firefox.
    you learn something new everyday.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Hmmmm, the fix did work for a time, but we now seen to be back to links opening over the top of the current page.

Seems to do it for youtube too now (and yes, I've got the correct options checked in the user settings).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Hmmmm, the fix did work for a time, but we now seen to be back to links opening over the top of the current page.

Seems to do it for youtube too now (and yes, I've got the correct options checked in the user settings).
    Yes, you can argue the merits of doing it one way or another but what's really annoying is when you expect one behaviour and get the other :evil:

But at least I've just found out that the smilies are working again! 8)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same for me, links no longer open in a new window, despite the box been ticked.
  • josnor
    OK, looks like a bug. I'll take a look this afternoon.
  • josnor
    I think I've fixed it. Let me know if anyone has any more problems.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fixed for me, good work!
  • Velonutter
    Yep appears fixed thanks.
  • Velonutter
    Apart from bike radar links don't open in a new window
  • Jeff Jones
    Velonutter wrote:
    Apart from bike radar links don't open in a new window
    They shouldn't (and have never done)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Can't you just make this the default action rather than asking us to go into settings to change? It's pretty much the expected action that a forum link will open in a new tab. I shouldn't have to go rummaging around for settings to turn it on.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • nicklouse
    dulldave wrote:
    Can't you just make this the default action rather than asking us to go into settings to change? It's pretty much the expected action that a forum link will open in a new tab. I shouldn't have to go rummaging around for settings to turn it on.
    not possible with the current settings.
  • Velonutter
    Hi lads,

Seems like there is still a problem, just clicked the eBay link in the following post and it opened in its own window not a new one, just thought I should flag it as a problem: -

viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12840379
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    ebay link opens in a new tab for me
  • josnor
    Me too. Do you have the setting right in your user profile?
  • nicklouse
    Mm on the iPad it opens in the same window.
  • Velonutter
    Yep not changed or even been into my profile since opening in a new window was enabled, but just checked and opening in a new window is set to yes