Holux GPS devices

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport ... 0&p=1&so=0

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport ... 0&p=1&so=0

I'd like to start using Strava but do not have a phone capable of doing the GPS bit. I'm also going to struggle to justify a Garmin edge to my wife.

These two units seem reasonable. My questions are

1. Are they crap?
2. Will they enable me to upload ride data to use in Strava.

Particularly the cheaper one as that's probably the least unlikely one at the minute.

Also, any idea if there is an even more reasonable alternative to either of these?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

I also posted this in road but either no one knows or I've irritated too many of them and they won't help.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well, the MTK chipsets are pretty much up there with the best GPS chipsets, and Holux aren't a bad make. I think the problem you'll face is that in order to use Strava you'll have to:

1) Record your rides with that datalogger
    2) Extract the track from the datalogger to GPX format
    3) Upload the track to Strava.

Generally, the software the manufacturers provide for 2) is horrible (I've not used Holux's directly though). That means that for each ride you want to compare you'll have to go through a fair bit of annoyance, and, IMHO, chances are you'll get bored and give up once the initial "new toy" enthusiasm wears off. Strava wins because it makes the uploading and comparison part easy by doing 2) and 3) from the phone automatically.

If you're still set on something like this, then basically you're after a GPS data logger. There's an extensive list here. If you can, get one that logs in GPX format directly to an SD card or similar, as it's generally less hassle than using the proprietary software. I've got a Locosys GT-31 which is really pretty decent, but I use it for other tracking rather than uploading to Strava, simply because I can't be arsed uploading the data to yet another service. Again.

b]Edit[/b What phone (model and OS) do you have, anyway?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I've got a GPSport 245 but don't use Strava.

i use mine as a gps tracker, then upload my rides at the end of the month.

The computer software looks like its been made for a GCSE course work but it does work . The upload bit is easy, connect usb to device open software click upload...done!

it lists your rides in date format an shows the route via Google Maps

battery life is really good.

i want the upgrade which has the built in hrm but i dont like the bright yellow casing
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jim453
    davis wrote:
    Well, the MTK chipsets are pretty much up there with the best GPS chipsets, and Holux aren't a bad make. I think the problem you'll face is that in order to use Strava you'll have to:

1) Record your rides with that datalogger
    2) Extract the track from the datalogger to GPX format
    3) Upload the track to Strava.

Generally, the software the manufacturers provide for 2) is horrible (I've not used Holux's directly though). That means that for each ride you want to compare you'll have to go through a fair bit of annoyance, and, IMHO, chances are you'll get bored and give up once the initial "new toy" enthusiasm wears off. Strava wins because it makes the uploading and comparison part easy by doing 2) and 3) from the phone automatically.

If you're still set on something like this, then basically you're after a GPS data logger. There's an extensive list here. If you can, get one that logs in GPX format directly to an SD card or similar, as it's generally less hassle than using the proprietary software. I've got a Locosys GT-31 which is really pretty decent, but I use it for other tracking rather than uploading to Strava, simply because I can't be arsed uploading the data to yet another service. Again.

b]Edit[/b What phone (model and OS) do you have, anyway?

It's a Nokia X3-02

Do you think it will work with Strava? I don't think it is android. To be honest I don't know what it is.

Any one got any experience of using Strava with the Holux then?

This post is rather putting me off it now. Thank you for this information.
  • davis
    jim453 wrote:
    It's a Nokia X3-02

Do you think it will work with Strava? I don't think it is android. To be honest I don't know what it is.

No, I don't think it'll be much use for this.

No worries. According to Mudcow's post the software isn't quite the horrorshow I was expecting, but I still think it'd lack the ease and immediacy required to really add to your motivation.
  • jim453
    Thank's Davis,

Are you speaking from experience? Do you own one of these things? So you think it's no good for strava? How very irritating.
  • What phone (model and OS) do you have, anyway?

It's a Nokia X3-02

you might be ok if you can run Nokia Sportstracker. I have used this a lot on my phone (Nokia Xpress Music). Battery life good as well. You have to export the file but it offers .kml, .gpx etc and you can maually upload the .gpx file. Not as elegent as a Garmin, Android or iPhone but not a disaster
  • davis
    I don't think the X3-02 will run Sportstracker (which is what I happen to use on my phone).

jim, I've never used those particular Holux devices, no. I'm a bit of a GPS geek, and even I get bored of titting about with the devices and uploading the files. If you think you can maintain the interest level to copy/upload, then go for it.
  • jim453
    Thank's again for your helpful and honest information.

Economics may be the deciding factor for me. The basic unit is a fairly useful cycle computer and dragging and dropping a couple of files may be an irritation i'll have to tolerate in order to see how slow I am up the local hills on strava.

Still thinking about it.
  • Hi

i have been using the GPSport245 for a couple of years now and never had any problems works with quite a few programs one gpx file has been saved onto pc, it does come with its own software. i have been using http://www.sports-tracker.com