Replacement Tektro Dracos or Upgrade??

dry664
dry664 Posts: 155
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi. I got Tektro Draco's on my Whyte 801 as standard and have had the bike for 5 months now and have had nothing but problems. They've been bled twice but have always been REALLY inconsistent. I was just putting new pads in as a last ditched attempt and realised that one of the calipers on BOTH back and front is stuck. Rust round those calipers makes me wonder if they have always been stuck. Ive taken the brakes off and they are going straight back down the LBS in the morning.
Has anyone had any good experience with the Draco's? Should I give them another chance? Should I stick with them or take this as a sign from the god's to pull the trigger on some spanking SLX's or XT's? (or something else? In the upgrading mood, just replaced the RS XC 28 with an SID RLT and loving it). Cheers!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sticking pistons is quite common - try and free them up. Clean with water, and add a tiny bit of fluid to the seals. Hold one piston in, pump lever to free the other. DOn't move it all the way out! Keep repeating.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it was your LBS who bled them twice when the problem was sticking pistons, I'd consider either finding a new LBS or DIY. I would be very wary of using them again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Cheers for the help!
    @Supersonic - "Don't move them, all the way out!" LOL, yes, you get covered in brake fluid. Tried holding free piston and pumping lever but no movement. Seriously, these things have been giving me grief since the day i got the bike. Maybe they're faulty or maybe Draco's are just s**t. Give me some cabled v-brakes any day!
    @Cooldad - I'm starting to think you may be right. I work near Bracknell, is there another LBS you can suggest since you are local?

Anyone out there with positive experience of Draco's?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    never been a fan of any tektro brake. i would suggest splashing out on a set of slx or xt. fit and forget! also anyone can bleed shimano brakes, they are seriosuly the easiest thing to work on
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry no I don't use any, I have a kid and expensive ex so can't afford to pay people.
    TBH most things are quite easy to sort out if you read Parktools/Youtube tutorials/ask people here etc.
    If you ever ride Swinley or Surrey Hills happy to take a look in the carpark (keep an eye on London Calling in Rides)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools