New wheels - Straight pull or standard

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at buying a new set of wheels and unsurprisingly, Hope hoops w/Stan's Crests are looking like a good option. However, should I go for the standard laced spokes, or is it worth the extra £28 to get the straight pull version? Are there any real advantages to straight pull spokes, or as I've read in another thread, could there be a few problems down the line? I seem to recall one guy getting charged £8 for a replacement spoke...
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    For parts/avialbailty j-bends.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    If you are getting these wheels built, ask for several spare spokes, nuts (if reqd) and nipples as part of the price.

I have had both J and straight spokes and the big advantage to straight pull is that when you break a rear wheel spoke, it's a lot quicker and easier to replace. On my XT wheelset I don't have to remove the cassette to replace a broken spoke. I don't even have to remove the tyre as the nipple threads into the rim from the outside.

This isn't a huge advantage but I once discovered a broken spoke the night before a big outing and I was happy that it only took me 10 minutes to fix.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Agree with both comments above.
    Both my Xt & Roval wheels are straight pull, and its so easy to change a spoke, don't even have to take the wheel off the bike.
    But, the parts never seem to be "on the shelf", so just make sure you get some spares.
    regards cost, the XT spokes were around £6 a piece, the DT swiss for the rovals were £2 :)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    think you guys got ripped off on your XT spokes? I got the whole drive side of my rear wheel replaced and built up for ~£30 thats parts and labour.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    don't the (straight-pull) Hope Hoops come with spare spokes anyway?

All the wheels with J-bend spokes I've bought did.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hope Hoops usually come with spares I think, mine did. But that's not much use if you don't take them with you :oops:

I was a bit surprised to find when I broke my Traversees at Fort William that there was nowhere in town that had a single straightpull. Then ordering replacements from Specialized took 6 weeks. It's not something that'd stop me buying a wheel, but it' s also not something I'd pay for. Spokes don't usually break at the J- anyway so the claims that it's stronger don't really convince me. Think it's lighter, in some specs?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well yeah - cos you do away with the standard flange and can be milled/forged to suit the spoke end and save weight
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, but then if you do away with the flange entirely you end up with longer spokes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ANd big stalks that the SP pulls clip into ;-) All the lightest hubs on the market are standard drilled.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Remember the DeeMax Dh
    h wheels that ace with straight pull spokes? I remember many of them popping spokes out of the hub on no straight landings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown