manchester velodrome taster 19/07/2011

fred22
fred22 Posts: 509
edited August 2012 in Track
many thanks if you were at the taster session yesterday and allowed a couple of newbies to ride in a line on the pace line with you. It was great fun, didn't realise it would be so hard to keep an even gap to the guy in front so I know what I need to practice

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I wasnt there that day Fred but glad to hear you had a good day. I'm back there tomorrow tea time myself to do the 2nd part of the accreditation - are you gonna have a go at that yourself??
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    Accreditation is certainly my aim, as said I need to practice group riding
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Only ridden once at the velodrome at Manchester (corporate hospitality gig, got to ride a few sprints with Jamie Staff :shock: ) and it was exellent. I will be going to the Revolution events shortly as part of my rehabilitation.

I have to say that the speeds you can reach, the absence of brakes, the fixed wheel and the less-than-smooth transition from flat concrete floor to steep embankment all made for a buttock-clenching evening :lol:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • I have an opportunity to ride a 1 hour taster session at Manchester next Friday. Am I being ambitious thinking I can get accreditation in one session.

I'd consider myself a safe group rider and can hold a wheel. I rode the track many many years ago, even did well at the Nationals one year, but not sure whether all this will make much difference.

My ultimate objective is to be whizzing around the London Velodrome in next year's winter league!
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Colin - the taster session you may find a bit basic, as it's designed for people who haven't been on the track before but you'd probably get something out of it regardless

IIRC you need to do a taster, and improver session (or get a coach to sign you a slip to say that you're ready for accreditation) and then do the accreditation which I think is a proper assessment that takes a full day or afternoon
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • See adult accreditation at http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/ride-the-track

You need to impress the coach at a taster session and get a slip to allow you to progress, not always possible as there has to be 3 other riders prepared to ride in a line with you for 20 minutes. You then have to complete the "track skills improver" (friday 6 til 7) and then the "Skills session" and "induction session"; These last two can sometimes be done in a day, but there are no full day sessions advertised at the moment. You will have to do each of them in order on sundays 8 til 10 at night. You may be asked to repeat any of them. The coaches are not looking for speed, but for safe behaviour.

Give it a go. It's fun
  • Well I did Friday's family taster, I started with a warning for taking my top off track side, second warning apparently leads to a one month ban. As there was not a second coach available i wasn't able to be assessed for the improver session. So after doing the 'compulsory' 10 laps and then the safety briefing trackside I was then allowed to ride above the stayers line. So I had a 40 minute blast. Wasn't allowed to ride out of the saddle, wasn't allowed to drop down the banking, was asked to slow it down a touch. But I had a blast and after 15-20 minutes the old track craft started to be rewoken. And yes of course I was sprinting out the saddle

Two outcomes, the riding position on the track bike was much more comfortablle than my road bike, so i'll be on that in the morning and more long term I trip to Newport or even Gosport to achieve my accreditation. As big bruv said to me today, when the track opens in London there will be so many others trying to achieve accreditation it could take weeks to even get on the track. Third outcome is to get a track bike! :wink:
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Signed up to do my accreditation at Newport later this month. Having signed up I've subsequently have found out Manchester don't accept Newport accreditation, though active riders who have Newport accreditation can be issued with Manchester probationary accreditation.

This isn't really an issue for me, but whole idea of achieving accreditation was to avoid the crowds later this year, (or even 2013 as I suspect) when the London Velodrome opens, rather than Manchester. But it now seems the accreditation process is venue (cash) driven rather than a demonstration of competence at riding the track via a lead body such as British Cycling.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Signed up to do my accreditation at Newport later this month. Having signed up I've subsequently have found out Manchester don't accept Newport accreditation, though active riders who have Newport accreditation can be issued with Manchester probationary accreditation.

This isn't really an issue for me, but whole idea of achieving accreditation was to avoid the crowds later this year, (or even 2013 as I suspect) when the London Velodrome opens, rather than Manchester. But it now seems the accreditation process is venue (cash) driven rather than a demonstration of competence at riding the track via a lead body such as British Cycling.

You're probably correct in that it's about revenue - but I should point out that British Cycling have nothing to do with the Manchester Velodrome. It's run by Manchester CIty Council. BC just rent office space in the building.

If you have 'probationary accreditation' at Manchester - what does it take to get the full deal? Is it just one extra session? If so - not really a huge deal as you still get to ride.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I wouldn't bother with acredditation at manchester :D
    The stupid thing is I was acredited at Newport, then I was was at Manchester for world masters which you can ride without acreditation, but I was not allowed to ride a derny training session at Manchester !! This was after I found myself there with nothing to do as special endurance coaching session had been cancelled!!! So I was ok for that but not derny.
    I asked them if I was allowed to drive my car in Manchester as I sat my driving test in wales also :D
    Its stupid as the coaches are all qualified at Newport so whats the difference.
  • I totally agree. Reading the accredition requirements document for Manchester I think there'd be a case for discrimination. But I really am not that bothered. I might be, once London opens if Lee Valley Regional Park Authority apply the same rules.

I can no longer attend next Sunday morning's accreditation session at Newport due to work commitments. If someone else who has sufficient track experience wants to take my place, contact Newport Velodrome.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • oldwelshman
    I totally agree. Reading the accredition requirements document for Manchester I think there'd be a case for discrimination. But I really am not that bothered. I might be, once London opens if Lee Valley Regional Park Authority apply the same rules.

I can no longer attend next Sunday morning's accreditation session at Newport due to work commitments. If someone else who has sufficient track experience wants to take my place, contact Newport Velodrome.
    Go and ride a vets session on a friday. There are far more flixible and practical than Manchester and you may get assessed during a vets session as you will do all the necessary drills required.
    As far as I know with London thay still have no idea what is happening after the olympics :D I was hoping they may do a track league and vets session like Newport :D Trouble is it could take me anything from 1 to 2 hours to get there even though it is only about 45 mies away. :D
  • Go and ride a vets session on a friday. There are far more flixible and practical than Manchester and you may get assessed during a vets session as you will do all the necessary drills required.

I am just looking at the logisitics of getting on the train from Paddington to Newport and back this Friday to ride the Vets Session. Getting my bike from the station to the track being one hurdle to overcome.

Do you which coach I should contact to see if I could also do my accreditation on the Friday's session?

How do I do the 'xxx wrote' bit in front of the " with BB codes?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • oldwelshman
    Go and ride a vets session on a friday. There are far more flixible and practical than Manchester and you may get assessed during a vets session as you will do all the necessary drills required.

I am just looking at the logisitics of getting on the train from Paddington to Newport and back this Friday to ride the Vets Session. Getting my bike from the station to the track being one hurdle to overcome.

Do you which coach I should contact to see if I could also do my accreditation on the Friday's session?

How do I do the 'xxx wrote' bit in front of the " with BB codes?

Ask Courtney or Chris.
    What do you mean in last sentance?
  • So as I am about to start this process, living near to Manchester I can do their process, but, if I am going to have to do the same at potentially Glasgow, Newport and London in time, what is the point??

If I want to race in Vets leagues, should I just accredit at Manchester or, as my job takes me all over the UK, and I want to train at other velodromes, should I bite the cash munching bullet and accredit everywhere???

Thanks in advance.

Fismaster
  • oldwelshman
    fismaster wrote:
    So as I am about to start this process, living near to Manchester I can do their process, but, if I am going to have to do the same at potentially Glasgow, Newport and London in time, what is the point??

If I want to race in Vets leagues, should I just accredit at Manchester or, as my job takes me all over the UK, and I want to train at other velodromes, should I bite the cash munching bullet and accredit everywhere???

Thanks in advance.

Fismaster
    Its only manchester who are pedantic. You could be a world champion on the track but unless you do their accreditation you can't train there lol. Not sure how th evets league works there but you can enter uci events such as british masters, national champs and world masters with no acredditation but can't train.
    I dont think you will have any issue on other tracks and you will find drop in sessions available at newport where all standards are catered for and you will find beginners will do some riding and more experienced will ride in between the beginners routines so not all on the riders on track at same time.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You could be a world champion on the track but unless you do their accreditation you can't train there lol.
    Just to put a layer of detail on to that comment: without accreditation, you cannot ride the SQTs. You can train on drop-in sessions as Dai has mentioned and you can also train on sessions set up/run by clubs.

When it comes to training at other track's SQTs or riding other leagues, speak to the organisers as they usually accept Manchester accreditation.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • oldwelshman
    Eddy S wrote:
    You could be a world champion on the track but unless you do their accreditation you can't train there lol.
    Just to put a layer of detail on to that comment: without accreditation, you cannot ride the SQTs. You can train on drop-in sessions as Dai has mentioned and you can also train on sessions set up/run by clubs.

When it comes to training at other track's SQTs or riding other leagues, speak to the organisers as they usually accept Manchester accreditation.
    yes thats what I meant lol can hire the track yourself but no sqt or derny training :D