Lance Sgt Dan Collins

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... onger.html

A heartbreaking reminder that even when the fighting stops, the battle continues for many. RIP Dan, a lot of people are gong to miss you...

Comments

• Fortunately I've never had to go to war so cannot truely understand the horror of it, I can imagine it, that's not the same thing though. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if you've never been there you don't really know what it's like and as such can't really appreciate the horrors the servicemen/women have to live with in their heads. Small wonder sometimes it becomes too much for an individual to bear.

RIP to a brave young man.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • RIP - Lance Sgt Dan Collins.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have no idea why they are fighting in Afganistan or Iraq apart from the ego of poodle Blair and the concept of throwing good money after bad (as in, because a load of chaps have died out there then it makes sense to continue with the suffering). I just don't get it. A pointless waste of life in my opinion and about time we brought the boys home.
  • Never mind the politics of why or how, just that we can't just dump these young guys back into society as if nothing happened, whether you agree with the original reasons for going to war. They went, did their job and now need to be respected for doing that.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    How very sad...

RIP - Army Dan.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    A sorry tale and I hope the poor chap is free of torment now.

The brutality and death is one aspect of the role which there is obviously no training or preparation for and I guess everyone faces a struggle to deal with in their own way. It's why all those flashy tv adverts portraying the army as a fanatastic career have me gritting my teeth a little for their dishonesty although if they showed the truth they would naturally get a lot less recruits.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    An all too common problem. Andy McNab has been doing a lot of work trying to publicise the problems such as PTSD faced by service personnel when they leave the forces (some pretty harrowing accounts of his old mates in the book Seven Troop). There should be strong mental health support services for them which they should be encouraged to use. From what I've read things are improving but from a very low base where seeking treatment was seen as a weakness and people where shipped off to some virtually secret clinic in the middle of nowhere.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    RIP - Army Dan
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Terrible waste of a brave mans life, my sympathies to the family.

I can't see why we are there at all, it's a no win situation. Once we pull out the Taliban will take over again and everything will go back to square one.
    I keep thinking of one word, Gandamack. A modern army (for the day) cut to pieces by Afghan tribesmen and in more recent times the Soviet war machine worn down into submission and retreat by the same men from the hills.
    We need to pull out now, engage with all parties in the country( as we did in NI ) and come to an acceptable solution for all the Afghan people. Perhaps then we will be able to control terrorism more effectively than waste time fighting a war we cannot win.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    A terribly sad story. RIP.

Congratulations to those taking the opportunity to air their political views re the war. Thanks.
  • It's a tragedy indeed, especially when he had so much to give as a person. Top bloke, we'll miss him. The real issue isn't whether the war is justified or not, it's what we do; and not just talking about, when it's over.