Getting a qualification to mend bikes - worth it ???

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi All,

I've been fixing bikes on and off over the years, but really want to push doing this to actually make some money.

Is it really worth forking out to get a proper Cytech qualifications in order to push myself and advertise more and crucially get paid ?????

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Only you can answer that...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Not worth if you are doing it from your garage... cytech 1 is children stuff and cytech 2 costs too much to be viable if you don't have a proper business.
    Besides, I don't think it's a requirement in the industry
    left the forum March 2023
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Consider the courses at the Bike Inn www.bike-inn.co.uk - this leads to the C&G and is an excellent qualification - added advantage you can do it in two weeks but you can separate the weeks if your time is constrained. This will take you beyond the Cytech qualification. There is no legally required qualification for bike mechanics but if you are setting up in business I think you would want to have one behind you to reassure potential customers that you know what you are doing. Also you will need to obtain proper business insurance as you will be in the realms of public liability, product liability and a whole host more stuff once you start getting paid. It is a completely different ball game from doing your own or your mates stuff! You will also need to consdier setting up trade accounts for parts etc. You will need references for these. You will need to inform HMRC that you are going into business as well as this will affect your tax situation. Of course if you are looking for employment in a shop then that wouldn't matter. Good luck :D
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    lpretro1 wrote:
    There is no legally required qualification for bike mechanics but if you are setting up in business I think you would want to have one behind you to reassure potential customers that you know what you are doing.

Didn't stop Halfords :twisted:

D :D
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Diogenes wrote:
    lpretro1 wrote:
    There is no legally required qualification for bike mechanics but if you are setting up in business I think you would want to have one behind you to reassure potential customers that you know what you are doing.

Didnt stop most bike shops Ive experienced.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I've been doing the new C&G level 2 qualification, got my final session in a couple of weeks. I've been fixing and fettling bikes for years, both my own and those of my friends.

I've found it useful to round out my knowledge, and to see how a (much) more experienced mechanic approaches certain problems. It also included wheelbuilding, which is something I had no experience of.

The one thing that is really good, if a bit stressful at times, is that each part of the course is practically assessed against strict time limits. Being able to do things well, in a reasonable period of time, is an important skill if you're looking at doing things commercially.

Pottering about is one thing, prepping, lacing, tensioning and truing a wheel from scratch in 90 minutes when you only learnt how to do it the day before is another matter!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Diogenes wrote:
    lpretro1 wrote:

Didnt stop most bike shops Ive experienced.
    But especially Halfords .....