Lyrik RC2L vs 36 Talas R

DTW
DTW Posts: 82
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got experience using both these forks? I have ordered the 2012 Lyrik from Evans cycles because i'm a fan of Rock Shox and there seems to be much more control with the Lyrik plus it is coil sprung. While I have the chance to return the fork and get the Fox I would rather try and get a few opinions from people who have good knowledge.

I have no experience with Fox though and I seem to read mixed reviews about them, more maintenance etc but they do seem to hold their resell value more and they are a bit lighter due to the air sprung damping.

Does anyone have any input as to how the two differ from each other performance wise? I ride a Scott Voltage FR20 and I do everything on it; uphill; downhill; BMX track and anything else I feel like.

Thanks guys.
If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Both have pro's and cons such as a coil will be heavier and have less adjustment but are easier to service...air lighter and more adjustabilty.....

People love RS and people love Fox...so you will get mixed opinions....depends on you budget but also look at the top end Marzocchi and DT Swiss.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fox R forks are pretty dire, usually have poor and unadjustable compression damping - the Lyrik here is far better.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    :) Im going to get you an 'I [heart] Rock Shox' t-shirt made. The Fox Rs aren't dire at all, they are a very good fork with perfectly capable compression damping, although it can only be changed through oil weights. That said, I would probably still get the Lyric, especially over a Talas, which adds pointless complexity to the fork IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    In long travel versions they dive like mad under braking, and bob all over the place! As does the lyrik r... Again, this is not 'fox vs rs' it is fork vs fork. I don't know why people keep comparing brands rather than what is actually being asked.
  • DTW
    I had thought about getting a 36 Talas RCL but at £950 it really is stretching the budget and I'm not convinced with the kashima coating.

The weight difference between the 2 forks in question is 300 grams, and considering I ride such a burly bike I'm not that fussed in shedding weight here there and everywhere. I didn't know about the 36 Talas R needing different oil viscosities for its compression damping, I don't mind fettling with my equipment (oooh matron) but I don't really want to be performing surgery on my fork after every other ride.

I'm going to run the Lyrik because it seems to be a good fork and better value for money, I just needed to be sure for the extra £100 would it be worthwhile investing in a 36 Talas R...I'm not convinced.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had fox talas r 32 on my heckler when i got it i also ran them on my pace hardtail, they were ok, very basic.
    i swaped them for well some sh1tty marzocchi 55s which after 3 rebuilds still had the same fault went in the bin,
    i then got some fox talas rc2 36 still running these today had them for three and a half years, they been faultless
    got the same fork on my hardtail to and they been faultless.
    but thats the rc2 version, the r model is basic, i would go for the lyric..

if you want quality and supersmooth plushness then look at bos.. not exactly cheap but a very very very good fork.
    the best i have ridden..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A possible +1 for the BOS - not ridden it yet, but have played with some in my local LBS. They look great, feel awesome, and are very light. I will be testing them later this month ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • How does the RC2 and RLC differ? Is one superior?
  • I had Fox Van R on my Canyon.... they were terrible.
    The R damper has no compression adjustment, so you can't alter the progresson of the fork and it tended to just plough through all the travel on bigger hits and under braking.

Lyric would be my choice.
  • delcol
    norther monk i found this with my talas r no compression control the fork would dive and plugh through it's travel bottoming out, eve adding an extra 10-15psi they still dived..
    the rc2 is way better...

ben, you will be impressed with the bos is it the deville you looking at, i rode 2 bike with this fork and it is so so so silky plushness.. i also rode the ndee that to is silky smooth...
    would love to stick a deville on my bikes...
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    delcol wrote:
    i then got some fox talas rc2 36 still running these today had them for three and a half years, they been faultless

How oftern did you have these serviced, if at all? The service intervals seem a little excessive to me.
  • kenan wrote:
    delcol wrote:

How oftern did you have these serviced, if at all? The service intervals seem a little excessive to me.

Fox service intervals are another reason why I don't like Fox forks... and they aren't user serviceable either!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Talas R are not very good. Feels like a very basic damper. Lyriks are great. I have got basic Lyrik R on my Reign X and they are great, really plush & well controlled, the RC2L is even better.
  • kenan
    Fox service intervals are another reason why I don't like Fox forks... and they aren't user serviceable either!

Really? http://www.pinkbike.com/video/172459/

Or am I missing something?
  • kenan wrote:

Really? http://www.pinkbike.com/video/172459/

Or am I missing something?

Hm, I always thought they weren't user serviceable... Maybe for warranty purposes then?
  • kenan
    No idea, TBH for an older fork I'[d say give it a go. But for a newer fork that costs 700-900 new I think getting it serviced for £100 odd is the safer option. Done the wiper seals the other night and it's put me off a full service.
  • Tis strange, maybe newer forks are serviceable then?
    I know a lad I ride with has some 140mm fox's on his bike (not sure what version) and the only way to home service seemed to be a bit of a bodge using pliers and scalpels etc to get at the seals :lol:
  • DTW
    I was able to completely strip my Reba SL and change seals, oil etc with relative ease. I do like to mess about with things as I'm an engineer of sorts during the day but I don't want to be committing myself to service duties when I'm not in the mood.

If I bought the 36 Talas R it would be because of the brand name if I'm honest, and that's not going to help when i'm bombing down the trial.
  • delcol
    the 36 rc2's on my santacruz been serviced once last year when i was in whistler, when i asked the guy after the service he said they didnt really need doing, and everything was fine with them..
    the 36 rc2's on my hardtail (were purchased at the same time as the others) not been touched they still fine, the talas does stick sometimes it wont wind down,, will look at getting these serviced soon, as soon as i can find a job and have some money....

you can do a oil and seal service yourself pretty easy i helped pete @bearbackbiking do his talas forks the other year......
  • Pudseyp
    I would look at these...bargain at £379

dt-swiss-exm-150mm-race-15mm-thru-axle.jpg

Very light and mega stiff aggressive XC / All-Mountain fork with Launch Control 2 (LC2)
    150 mm of super plush linear air sprung travel
    Low speed rebound and compression are easily adjusted
    To activate Launch control simply push down the red dial and the fork will stay compressed under loading, keeping the front end low for steep technical climbs
    Hit a sizeable bump and the fork will automatically re-open to full travel
    Amount of force required to activate fork is adjusted with the indexed threshold adjustment lever below the LC2 dial
    Indexed rebound adjustment ensures that rebound damping is not effected when reaching for the LC2 dial
    LC2 now features integrated non adjustable high speed compression and rebound damping which ensures the fork can deal with even the biggest hits
    A hollow magnesium crown is stiff and light
    Features the patented torsion box lower which has the highest strength to weight ratio of any 32 mm magnesium lower on the market
    Auto Balance Air Spring (ABS) has self setting positive and negative air chambers
    32 mm stanchions
    15 mm thru-axle
    Hand assembled in Biel, Switzerland
    A staggering 200 hour service interval, so fit and get out riding
    Weight: 1745 g

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/dt-sw ... -axle.html
  • supersonic
    Great price, but compares to a Rev, not Lyrik and Fox 36 which have much bigger chassis.
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    Great price, but compares to a Rev, not Lyrik and Fox 36 which have much bigger chassis.

Pap....forgot they were for a voltage FR
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    TALAS impacts the overall performance of the fork so unless you think you'll need it, don't get it. (U-turn adds a little weight to a Rockshox but doesn't impair the performance otherwise)

As SS says it's not a fair comparison, high end Rockshox with low end Fox- only ever going to be one winner. I do love my Lyriks though, the Mission Control damper is very effective, and dead simple to work with- very intuitive. Heavy like boulder though but strong like ox.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DTW
    OK then, how would a 36 Talas RLC compare?

Great stuff guys btw, I've got such a better insight now.
  • supersonic
    The Lyrik is still more adjustable. Do you need Talas?
  • 36 Talas RLC would be really good. In my opinion it would beat the Lyrik hands down. Supersonic would not agree tho
  • supersonic
    Lol, I just think the Mission Control damper is a better unit. Not much in it, the RC2 is a better comparison. On longer travel forks having high and low speed comp adjust is worth having if you ride hard.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Float RLC would be close, but TALAS is still a bollox.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • they are both very good forks, and it all comes down to opinion. Either ride them or shut your eyes and point to one, either way I doubt you'd be disappointed
  • DTW
    I've just been looking at the 36 Van RC2. I would sacrifice the U Turn for a dedicated 160mm of travel but it would just be for cosmetic reasons...how shallow of me :oops:

The Lyrik arrived yesterday but the crown is scratched so I'm going to bring it back, I know it will end up getting scratched anyway but at £720 I want it as fresh as a daisy.