Brake upgrade for CAADX 105

jamiestogden
jamiestogden Posts: 52
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi guys

Been living with my Cannondale CAADX 105 since August now, all is good on the road (and a little off) but I really don't like the stock Tektro brakes which just don't stop me very well and I'm also getting a lot of brake judder from the carbon forks under both heavy and light braking.I know I'll never get the power of my MTB discs but I've had a few times when I've been convinced I'm not going to stop in time.

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the brakes, can anybody suggest where to start? Better Cantilever brakes or something different altogether? I've seen people even mentioning mini v-brakes too. The bike came with Shimano 105 levers/shifters. I don't need to worry too much about mud clearance, not a lot of off-road riding done as bike is mainly used for winter training with a little fireroad and grass paths included.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I'd ideally like to keep the budget under £100 for the set.

Thanks
Jamie

Comments

• Paul Milnes sells froglegg brakes for cx bikes that are supposed to be better than normal cantis.
    I'm not sure if you can fit V brakes instead but I can't think why you couldn't.
    Maybe someone on here has done it?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • I should have mentioned that Paul Milnes sells his kit on the net through ebay.
    Seller name pmc and then some numbers that I can't remember.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Agree the original brakes are cack, I've fitted avid shorty 6 cantis, cane creek cross top levers and koolstop pads, braking is 10x better and no squealing either.
  • A few months after getting my Super6 I replaced the Tektro brakes with 105 brakes. Never had a problem stopping, or any squeal/judder since.
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1