Magicshine mj-872 mount

jonnylowe
jonnylowe Posts: 8
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a magicshine mj-872. The unit seems to get good reviews however looking at the pictures the mount looks a bit flimsy.
Just wondering if anybody has one of these and can tell me if the mount holds up alright when riding technical trails?

Cheers

Jonny

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    All the magicshine mounts are like that. You can get a mount off eBay or shops and modify them but I have never had a prob with my mount moving about. If you want to make it a tighter fit twist the o-ring when fitting.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Try using google 1st thing that come up http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/h ... php?it=339
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    jonnylowe wrote:
    Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a magicshine mj-872. The unit seems to get good reviews however looking at the pictures the mount looks a bit flimsy.
    Just wondering if anybody has one of these and can tell me if the mount holds up alright when riding technical trails?

Cheers

Jonny

I have an MJ-872 on my helmet and use a hope vision 1 helmet mount which fits perfectly with the help of a longer Allen bolt.
    You can get a bar mount on chain reaction, possibly a helmet mount too.
    Btw, great light, really bright for a good price.
  • Think it's the price difference between these and other units with the same light output that was putting me off.
    Seemed too good to be true. The only thing that was worrying me was the quality of the mount.
    Thanks for the help looks like i'll be ordering one of these soon.

jonny
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The standard o-ring doesn't look much but it works well. Can be supplemented with a couple of the Royal Mail's finest red elastic bands that the posties leave lying around everywhere.

Total cost = £0
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The Hope universal h/bar mount fits and is much better than the o-ring. You just need a longer M4 bolt (the Hopes use an M5 and the std MJ one is too short).

see http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23533
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • looks good. at least i know that if the mount isn't up to it, it's cheap to upgrade it.

Cheers

Jonny