which cycle carrier?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
well having bought a rockrider 5.2 for £230, i now need a cycle carrier. And I can't believe that a few lengths of steel and a couple of straps costs between £50 and £100 quid.

Anyone know of a decent carrier for a reasonable price (c. £25).

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to bankruptcy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • are the roof bar mounted type better or the rear strappy type?
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I prefer the roof bars and thule bike carriar
  • cooldad
    Not going to get a Thule for £25
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    do you have a tow bar fitted? Because the bike carrier designed for tow bar are pretty good as advised by some guys on this forum. In and out in seconds literally and pretty safe.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • no dont have a towbar.

the rockrider has a very square frame, im not sure those roof mounted carriers will work very well on it.
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    i use a thule 591 on top of my car. rate it highly but you need to get used to the anoying wind whistle whilst travelling...im used to it now. it also makes your car more thirsty for juice.A friend of mine users a high rear carrier( its like a parachute)his fuel economy is halved which is scary!! love the 591 but maybe have a look at a towbar carrier!
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Saris Bones is very good. Solid when fitted to the car & the bike is solid on the rack as well. Quality light weight rack.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for the Saris Bones, usually plenty on eBay.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cooldad
    Obviously most people on here struggle to comprehend. Thule and Saris don't come in around £25.
    I know people who use ones similar to this with no problems at all, and some on Ebay are cheaper.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-BIKE-CAR-CY ... 3a6b35df89

Don't fit my car, but I bought a cheap roof rack and a couple of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Roof-Upri ... 45fe6a3502

Three years now, used weekly including numerous trips to Wales and no problems.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • It depends more upon the car rather than the bike. There are various types of carriers and your local bike shop is likely to be of more help than the jokers on here.
  • cooldad
    It depends more upon the car rather than the bike. There are various types of carriers and your local bike shop is likely to be of more help than the jokers on here.
    No they are not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Barty, the 591 whistle is caused by the mouldings underneath the plastic main mount. You can use duck-tape to cover over the underside of the moulding and blissful silence will descend. G
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    It depends more upon the car rather than the bike. There are various types of carriers and your local bike shop is likely to be of more help than the jokers on here.

No it doesn't....some frames will not fit certain carriers, also if this forum is full of Jokers, why are you here ?

As for your local shop being more helpful...have you ever been in Bike Hut at Halfords ?
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Do yourself a favour and save your pennies and buy a Saris Bones or a Thule roof kit. It might sounds like an expensive outlay now, but when you swap your £230.00 Rockrider for your first £1000+ bike, you'll be glad you've got more than £25 worth of carrier strapping it in place.

Plenty on ebay, especially in the summer.