Mech upgrade question

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Boardman Road Race with Shimano SORA 9 speed shifters and rear mech, microshift front mech.

It's all working well with no issues, but my thoughts are on upgrading rear mech, and possibly shifters at some point, so couple of questions :!:

To a degree, Shimano and SRAM are compatable yes(?), so could I go for say a SRAM Apex rear mech without upgrading the shifters :?: Will a 10 speed rear mech be compatable :?:

Anything else I need to look at or consider :?:

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    could I go for say a SRAM Apex rear mech without upgrading the shifters
    No.
    Will a 10 speed rear mech be compatable
    Yes. But you will not find much benefit.
    If you are looking for upgrades that will improve the bike then go for better wheels, followed by 10sp shifters (You will also need a cassette and chain. The rest will work till replaced.)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    John.T wrote:
    If you are looking for upgrades that will improve the bike then go for better wheels, followed by 10sp shifters (You will also need a cassette and chain. The rest will work till replaced.)

Or even just better 9 speed shifters (ie avoid Shimanos dire attempt at thumb shifters!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • essjaydee
    Thanks JohnT :)

@ Rolf F..doesn't appear to be much choice in 9 speed :?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stick to the same brand as your shifters - a 10 speed rear should work OK but when you come around the upgrade your shifters you'll need a new cassette and chain as John T suggest. Suggest you do it all at once.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • essjaydee
    Thanks MD :)

Was thinking of going 105 route eventually, but like to upgrade rear mech first.
  • John.T
    Why the urgency to change the rear mech? It makes very little difference to performance. If you just want more bling then the chainset is more visible but also has little affect on performance. Wheels and shifters will make more difference. Wheels will make you faster. Shifters will feel better and 10sp will improve gear options.
  • essjaydee
    Thanks john T :)

With the Sora being at the lower end of the range, was thinking that easiest to upgrade front & rear mech's first, then shifters. I get your point though re not making any difference to performance, and appreciate your replies :)

I'm not a racing snake, far from it, so going faster by spending a few hundred quid on wheels doesn't interest me, and would only change the wheels when they are past their best, and bling doesn't bother me at all :|
  • John.T
    Front mechs are the last thing I would go for. I have Sora ones on both my winter and TT bikes. The rest of the kit is mainly Ultegra. I am running a 8sp one on the winter bike and it works fine, Not even sure if the TT one is 8 or 9sp. It was the cheapest one in the shop and it works fine. Even the top front mechs are pretty crude and they are not very noticeable on the bike. If you use one that is for more speeds than you are running there is more chance of chain rub and the need to use the trim. It works better the other way, especially with a compact chainset.
  • essjaydee
    Thanks John....will leave the front mech then and save the money for the shifters :wink:

It's my first road bike, and will eventually become my winter weekend ride, but not until next winter at the earliest.