Your goals for 2012

obi wan dandobi
obi wan dandobi Posts: 42
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm feeling good about myself today. I feel refreshed (after my annual bath!) and unusually optimistic about the new year. So I've set my goals for the new year (and I'm actually going to achieve them for once!). They are:

1) Complete 3 sportives (never done 1 before but got my 1st booked for April)

2) Lose 2 stone (strict training and no more eating crap regularly)

3) Finally change my job (I say this every year!)

Yep, I'm gonna do it, bring it on!

What goals has everyone else set? Can you achieve them or are we all going through the usual end of year / looking forward to the next 1 crap?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Reach 2013.

It gets less certain as you get older.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I saw a great idea on Alistair Humphries website: 2011, the year of microadventures. Google will take you to the Howies website for info. I saw it in December though so missed the boat. So I've decided that 2012 will be the year of bloody silly ideas (I'm preempting my wife's description here). Basically, anything that would have been accepted as quite normal when I was 20 is game (with the exception of trying to climb routes way too hard for me. Gravity is no respecter of ambition). First bloody silly idea is a night on kinder scout in a bivy bag.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Reach 2013.

It gets less certain as you get older.

Yep after a heart attack floored me this year I have some getting fit to do. Thankfully the ticker is in fair shape with two stents and I am back on the bike. My aim is to get back to my best weight and if I am successful on the Dragon ride pool then do the Dragon in June.

This all assumes of course the ticker keeps ticking!

D :D
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    10 BC points to get to 3rd Cat.
    Climb my local 'test climb' in 7mins 20 secs (current best time 7:40 averaging 375W)
    Increase FTP from 300W to 315W.
    Decent Cyclocross season.
    Less time on the internet, more time on the Turbo.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Get my riding back on track, and get my speed up.

If that happens, then hopefully join my clubs racing team.
  • To echo SJ, keep waking up in the morning, always a good start. :D

Got to have a hip resurfacing op early (hopefully) in the year so to be back on the bike come June would be good.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Hmmm... maybe start riding again, it's been a while and I only have the MTB, start swimming because I love it, stop smoking because it will pay for our new car, all in all, a lot of changes are afoot.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Hmmm... maybe start riding again, it's been a while and I only have the MTB, start swimming because I love it, stop smoking because it will pay for our new car, all in all, a lot of changes are afoot.

Love n hugs

DD

So are 12 inches.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

So are 12 inches.

I know, I get them every night...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

So are 12 inches.

Love n hugs

DD

Glass or plastic?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Main goals for 2012.

1.Don't get ill (flu jab and vitamin E supplements have already helped)
    2.Ride more
    3.Don't Avoid Hills
    4.Improve Diet
    5.Achieve at least 4000km+
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Climb my local 'test climb' in 7mins 20 secs (current best time 7:40 averaging 375W)

My goal if to find out what FTP means. My original thinking of file transfer protocol must be way off.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    brianonyx wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

My goal if to find out what FTP means. My original thinking of file transfer protocol must be way off.

Functional threshold power
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sub 22 min 10 on my road bike.
    Win a cat 2 road race.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    eat healthier
    lose a stone
    improve my tatton triathlon time next september
    beat my mate in an outright sprint ( may struggle with that one! )
  • 1, enjoy everyday life as much as my cycling....

Ok, let's concentrate on realistic goals...

2, add a modest 500 miles to my next year target: 4500 miles.
    3, gently increase my average speed. This should be easy because I get longer straightforward runs to do 4....
    4, continue my little lunatic ''ride every road'' project. Currently standing at 80 sq miles in a circular area around my home, and every road within 4.8 miles. That should go up to maybe 120 sq miles within a 7 or so mile radius.
    5. Recently discovered ''Eddington'' numbers and calculated mine since I started keeping accurate records (late 2008) at a measly 30 (30 rides of at least 30 miles) . Get that up to 40.
    6. A few more social rides - riding can get a bit too solitary.
    7. Swear at fewer drivers - I'll get my nose broken a third time if I don't rein this habit in.
  • In preparation for 2012, I recently sold my 2+2 coupé and bought an 8 seater that will be converted into a camper for the purposes of doing and seeing more cycling in Europe. Hopefully, this will include some of the spring classics and picking the Tour up at Boulogne then following it down to the Alps to spend some time riding some mountains. Before my European excursions I'm planning a few camping and cycling trips around the UK to familiarise myself with the set up and to try some new roads and hills.

My only other planned target next year is 22 minutes for a 10. I have some other ambitions for total miles and average speeds but they're not set in stone.
  • Oh, and to see a British rider in a British team (yes, Team Sky) win a Grand Tour.

Plus David Millar at the Olympics.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Sub 22 min 10 on my road bike.
    Win a cat 2 road race.

Don't you think it's time you knocked this on the head?
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    Doing the Birmingham to Oxford ride for The Jennifer Trust.
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

So are 12 inches.

Love n hugs

DD

Glass or plastic?
    4 x 3 = 12 right? :lol: