A big enough upgrade?

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
I've been riding around quite happily on my Boardman Comp of 2010 vintage. Had some issues lately with the BB but apart from that its been a fairly solid performer. Seems eager and willing and is maybe on the racier size (small frame 54cm top tube and I'm 5'8) but for just over £500 a real good deal.

I've been getting more and more into my road cycling and have set myself some big challenges for the New Year.

As a result of getting more and more into it, I've been going out with others who have, shall we say, more exotic bikes. Its made me think about upgrading at some point during spring to a bike which is better all round. Thing is, this is my first real road bike, and I'm not sure what "better" means.

I've taken a shine to the Cannondales, both the CAAD10 and the Supersix 105. What are any of them going to offer me that the Boardman doesnt already? Has anyone had a Boardman, moved onto something else and realised its weaknesses?

I enjoy the bike for getting out with others, will be completing sportives and may even have a shot of some local Crit racing if next year goes to plan.

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    if you want a new bike, get one. But don't expect it to magically improve your riding, cos it won't. The comp is a good enough bike for what you want to do with it....
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    The Comp is a great bike and the frame is good enough to take some upgrades. If you haven't already then put some top quality tyres on it, then have a look at some decent wheels( about £300 would be my tops for this frame) other than that keep on riding it. You'd really have to spend more than £2k to really notice a big difference.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    While out riding with the pals on exotic bikes, did you keep up ok?
    If so, your bike is fine.

But....if you can afford it, why not upgrade it.
    Good set of wheels and tyres.
    If it makes you happy...do it 8)
  • rob13
    Tyres will be upgraded in Spring.

I was interested in peoples views on whether it would be worth upgrading and it sounds like a better wheelset would be the way forward rather than a new bike at the moment.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have the Comp Sc (single speed version) and have no problems holding my own in our clubs middle speed group and have done a hundred mile sportive in under five and a half hours on it, only twenty mins slower than my best time on my carbon race bike! Other than the wheels and tyres that I mention the only other thing you might consider is better seat, bars and stem to give you a more comfortable ride and a pro bike fit to get the best out of your position.
  • rob13
    The seat is another area which I think an upgrade would be a good idea! Seats are a bit marmite though aren't they?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Rob13 wrote:
    The seat is another area which I think an upgrade would be a good idea! Seats are a bit marmite though aren't they?

Hi there

Give the Charge Spoon a try. They only cost about £25 and IME they are really good value. I did the progression from a Selle Rolls San Marco to a Spesh Romin SL then to the Charge Spoon before i found a perch that I can live with on long rides.

May not work for you but if it doesn't, at least you haven't shelled out mega bucks.

Also consider a set of Shimano RS80's as a wheelset upgrade shod with Conti GP4000s's. They will transform the ride of your Boardman I guarantee.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    For me the benefit of a good carbon frame is the additional comfort over aluminium, although if you are looking to race then this probably won't be top of your list.

I had a Six carbon for a while and it was pretty stiff, I guess the supersix will be similar. I've got a 2010 Wilier Izoard now which is a good combination of stiff and comfortable, but it's a bit more expensive.

How about keeping the Boardman for racing and getting something like a Cannondale synapse for longer rides and sportives?

As above, if you are keeping it then good wheels make a big difference.
  • rob13
    Is the Charge Spoon suitable for a road bike? looks more like an MTB saddle?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Rob13 wrote:
    Is the Charge Spoon suitable for a road bike? looks more like an MTB saddle?

a saddle is a saddle is a saddle....it doesn't matter...
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I think the Charge Spoon is the mtb version, the road version is called the Charge Knife.... I don't like the sound of that!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • If you want a new bike, get one of these - Pinarello FP2 2011 on sale from wiggle. Make sure you get in British Cycling colours, 51cm maybe for your size.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pinarello-fp2-105-2011/

Use code 10-OFF to get another 10% off at the moment.

A 2-grand bike for under £1300. Use it as your best bike and your old Boardman as your commuter/trainer bike. If your getting to sportive level - tell your Missus "I deserve it and don't I look well fit".

Like others say, it won't make you twice as fast, but you'll be bowled over with passion. This will make you train harder and build up those miles, ready to get on your best bike to do it justice.

Apart from me sounding like a motivational speaker, I just thought I would point out a good price deal for you.
  • If you're on the original wheels then your best value upgrade is some wheels in the £300+ price bracket (starting with RS80's and/or Fulcrum 3's). Handbuilts (Open Pro's, and good hubs are a great place to start).

The problem with that is that you'll soon find you're only riding the nice wheels (similar to a nicer frame but if you buy a new bike you'll still have flexy £150 wheels).

Expensive bikes are excellent for improving the fun you have on them but the engine is the defining factor for how fast you are.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure the Charge Spoon is a road saddle. I've had it on my fixed wheel for six years or more.

Then again - a saddle is a saddle.
  • rob13
    Well the first upgrade will be a Charge Spoon! It always gets good reviews and for the price its unbeatable. I'll have a look at the RS80s for sure, what about some Mavics?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    As you say saddles are a personal thing. I had a spoon for a while and it was fine for shorter rides, but I swapped it for a fizik Arione which I find perfect, and have one on both my bikes. You can get them second hand for £30-£40, there are a few in the classifieds at the moment.
  • rob13
    It has the standard Ritchey DS pro wheels on at the moment